OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 7, 2017 3:54 pm  #31

Re: Does anyone ever have a happy ending?

brooksey,

It's never someone's sexual preference that is so disturbing. It's when they hide it and destroy others like this that is. We took them at their word when they married us. The trouble is they lied. Who would love a liar? That's not a trait any of us would opt for. Honesty and integrity are wonderful traits. He doesn't possess either. Let him go because you love YOU and your dogs.  You will survive this and come out so much better off. YOU DESERVE IT. 

October 8, 2017 11:47 am  #32

I am concerned about Brooksey.  I truly hope she is ok.

October 8, 2017 3:22 pm  #33

I too am concerned about Brooksey. Does anyone have the ability to try to reach out to her privately?

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

October 8, 2017 4:00 pm  #34

Abby wrote:

I too am concerned about Brooksey. Does anyone have the ability to try to reach out to her privately?

I've sent a few private messages but no reply.  I also notified the SSN outreach and triage team and am hoping they are able to figure out some way to help.

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

October 8, 2017 4:53 pm  #35

I think we all private messaged her but no response.  I just hope she’s ok.

October 9, 2017 2:02 pm  #36

I am here.

October 9, 2017 2:22 pm  #37

I called the hotline last week and tried to get into an outpatient program, but there are none in my reasonable geographical area. I spent one day in the hospital but had to leave because there is no one to watch my dogs.

I appreciate what all of you have said. I believe I need a different kind of help. I might try to get back into a crisis support group. I understand you’re saying the pain gets better. But better isn’t gone.

I am not/was not codependent. My husband and I brought out the best in each other. Obviously he was living a lie about his sexuality, but I made no great concessions to him aside from the formal wedding I didn’t really want to have. None of what happened is my fault, and I am not blaming myself for what he did to me. I had no input in that decision. I have been on and in treatment for depression for years.

I was alone before. I can do it. That doesn’t mean I want to again. It is worse now, because I have lost my ENTIRE support system. I feel a little like my hopelessness is being demeaned or belittled as my being weak or cowardly. Please, in your mind, think of everyone you love. Everyone- friends, family, children, parents. Now, wipe them off the earth. That is my reality.

I am happy for those of you who have found new love. That is not my reality. I do not go out. I do not want to. I don’t enjoy spending time with people here, and I cannot move without losing my job and my health insurance. The only time I meet anyone new is at work, and I do not let my private life overlap with my professional life. The one time I broke my own rule, ended in horror.

I will not meet anyone else. I do not want to be alone again, even moreso than I was before because I had family back then. Even if I thought he would ever desire a reconciliation and respect whatever that looked like for us (which he wouldn’t), my husband wants nothing to do with me. It would be irresponsible for me to adopt more dogs, because I could be paralyzed or blind tomorrow. I wouldn’t even have anyone to help me get to a phone or the ER, let alone adopt my babies. I also think it would be irresponsible for me to continue in this group, because others who this has happened to deserve to have hope, and they will find none in my story.

October 9, 2017 2:24 pm  #38

brooksey, 

I'm so happy to see those three simple words.  As you can see, we are all very concerned about you. 

Please let me know if there is a a way we can support you.  If you reach out to me via private message and let me know your general location (I think around Houston based on what you have said here so far).  I'd like to offer to have some local straight spouse veterans reach out to by phone or to meet in person.  Having a real person to speak with can be incredibly helpful.  These are people who will have a shared experience and understand how you feel. 

I'm glad you reached out to the hotline.  

It's your choice if you want to remain on this forum or not.  We are a support group and we are here to support you.  Don't think for a second that you shouldn't be here because you don't have a happy story to tell.  That doens't matter a bit. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

October 9, 2017 6:03 pm  #39

Brooksey,
So glad to see you here.  As Phoenix has said it certainly is your choice whether or not you choose to continue posting here.  I would ask that you don’t decide immediately.  Keep this in your back pocket.  You might change your mind about a lot of things.

Regardless, we are all thinking of you and wish you well.

Majenco

October 9, 2017 9:27 pm  #40

I don't mean to offend or if my tone sounds rude, I didn't mean it that way. You all have your own lives and it means so much you have taken time from that to read my words and reply. My nightmare just keeps getting worse. I will keep reading but I don't want to be a detriment to anyone new to this board who might still have the hope of a future.

Board footera