OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 26, 2017 9:59 pm  #21

Re: Gay bi or straight

Majenco

I'd never agree to non-monogamy. And he has promised me monogamy. 
This is where things stand at the moment. We're on a path, to where I'm 
not sure, and I hate not knowing.....but I've accepted that these are untested 
waters. One day at a time    

KIA KAHA                       

November 26, 2017 11:16 pm  #22

Exactly one day at a time.  You will get where you need to go.  Trust yourself to know the answer when the time is right.  I am right there with you.

Hugs

November 27, 2017 4:08 am  #23

Yes it matters.  If he is straight there's a possibility of fixing the marriage.  If he is into men then that isn't going to be fixable whether he stops cheating or not.

November 27, 2017 8:27 am  #24

I hear you Lilly.  I agree that for some after infidelity there could be reconciliation.  Some bisexuals can be monogamous too.  Completely gay is a tough one.  Some even try that but I don’t see how it could work as much more than an arrangement between “friends”. 

Lots of possibilities but in my book once that line of infidelity has been crossed, everything changes.  The marriage will never be the same.  And the less you have in common sexually the less likely your union can survive long term.

November 27, 2017 10:29 am  #25

Let's pretend for one moment that none of this had anything to do with being gay. It's just a husband, having been caught cheating on his wife. Let's say multiple times, since that makes this example easier.

1.  You caught him cheating.  (he didn't tell you - you caught him).  Is there any possibility of you ever forgiving him and getting back to a place of trust?  If yes, continue to next question.  If no, then game over.
2.  Is he owning what he did and how it affects you and your marriage?  If not, do not pass go.
3.  Is he truly remorseful and making attempts to be as open and honest as possible about what got him into this mess, and what needs to be done to create an honest relationship moving forward?
4. Is he willing to do the work necessary to cut the cancer out of your relationship?  This means stopping all contact with others he's cheating with - new or old.  No more "innocent" chatting or curiosity - because he's seen where that leads.
5.  Is he willing to do the self-reflection necessary to better understand the dynamics behind his inadequacies?  Is he willing to do the work necessary in counseling to get back to a place of honesty and trust?

NOW....... IF ALL 5 of the above are true, THEN.....

6.  Will you both have your needs met by each other (and ONLY each other) if you're both at your reasonable bests?  If not....., THEN......

7.  WHY?  Do massive changes need to be made on behalf of the needs of the other person?  Can said changes even be made?

THIS is how far down in the process the gay thing comes in.  If an individual cannot be satisfied by their partner because their partner is the wrong sex, then..... game over.  But there are other reasons why this answer could be no that have nothing to do with being gay.  Say for instance that one partner just doesn't find their spouse attractive anymore - not because they're gay, but just because they are not excited by their partner, then it's really the same issue.  Especially if their partner cannot change what the lack of attraction stems from.  Say the husband is only attracted to younger women, and despite being the proper weight and taking care of herself, then you're still at a stalemate.  It would make him an unreasonable, shallow dick, BUT..... the issue still exists, nonetheless.  Say she is grossed out by his sexual proclivities and cannot ever see herself being intimate with him again.  Maybe you don't satisfy each other's sexual needs because your ideas of what's sexy or feels good doesn't align.  Maybe despite lots of attempts, your partner doesn't possess the bedroom skills necessary to make your eyes roll back in your head.  It doesn't really matter the reason - if it cannot be changed or your partner is unwilling to change it, then you're at a place where you are not going to be satisfied by your partner.  Period.

Now,.... if you're both okay with that, that's one thing.  Maybe you're at a place where all you want is companionship and stability.  But then I'd argue that the cheating wouldn't have been an issue in the first place.  But it's possible that you're both okay with no sex, or with living with an unsatisfactory love life.  Then you can still make it work.  Or you could go an alternate route and decide that you want to continue on in a relationship with each other, but satisfy your sexual needs outside the relationship.  That is another whole ball of wax - and one that I think most people think has cleaner edges than it really does.  If you let your partner have sex with others outside the relationship, how will you feel when they spend too much time away from you and your family?  Will they be spending the family's money to make these trysts work?  Will you feel abandoned even though the sex part isn't really that big of a deal to you?  Can you establish (and honor) boundaries that you can both agree upon?  What happens if one of you accidentally falls in love with someone else?  There is a whole minefield here that we often don't consider until we're already in a bad place - after we've agreed that an open relationship is okay.  There can be lots of resentment, anger, sadness and loneliness where you didn't anticipate any.

The bottom line is that when you figure out that the other person can in no way ever satisfy your intimate needs enough for you to stay, it doesn't matter if the reason is because they're gay or they're fat or they're missing too many teeth.  THIS, I feel, is where most people go to instinctively - they go all the way to the end step and try to figure out if their partner is gay - because if so, then the rest of it doesn't even matter.  And I don't disagree, in theory.  But in reality, if you're not seeing the steps prior to that last step, then the last step doesn't matter anyway.  You can decide in a straight relationship that it could be satisfying for you both, but if you don't see ownership of their actions, and the strong attempt at removing the temptations and re-building the trust and honesty, then it doesn't matter if they're straight.  If you're not seeing them own what they did and be honest about their actions and make huge strides toward actively healing the relationship, then it doesn't matter if it COULD work - they're showing you they're not willing to do what it takes.  They're giving lip service to what they're promising you - because they can't come right out and say that they have no intention of making those changes.  But the proof is in the pudding - in their patterns.  One good day of behaving or one solid week of lovemaking isn't proof of long-term anything.

In my opinion, if a man is cheating, gets caught, and then acts like none of it is a problem because it doesn't MEAN anything, then you're not with a partner with whom you can make it work anyway - even if they were 1000% straight.  You need all the pieces to make it work.  If they actively resist any of the necessary steps, they aren't all in.  And you can't make it work with a partner who's not all in, no matter if your sexualities match or not.

Kel

Last edited by Kel (November 27, 2017 10:40 am)

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

November 27, 2017 10:50 am  #26

thanks majenco.  

okay so married life with a non-cheating bisexual is what I had and I wouldn't wish it on anybody.  I cannot tell you how much pain I woke up in.  I likened it to waking up in the burns ward of life.  "Do you realise he is emotionally abusive?" my solicitor asked me... no I hadn't.  I thought he was my best friend until I realised he wasn't.

He wasn't monogamous, he wasn't faithful he wasn't honest and true.

So I tried a little imaginative experiment earlier on today.  I thought okay so try and imagine having sex with another woman, give it a serious go, and it doesn't work - if I had to I could do the necessary but inside I'd be going eww.

The truth of my ex is he likes men.  he'd been going eww inside all the time.  That's a lot of eww to absorb.  it is indescribable the pain I was in.  I spent ages under the shower in the first 3 weeks it kept me sane, the feeling of the water washing over my head. 

November 27, 2017 12:37 pm  #27

That sounds awful.  I’m sorry you had to endure that.  Kel is right, once there is lying and cheating nobody is ever going to be satisfied and happy.  I hope you find your happiness and the peace you deserve.

November 27, 2017 3:46 pm  #28

thanks for your good wishes Majenco.

Just to be clear - I am suggesting that the 'eww factor' is present in all our marriages, that it has been present all along, right from the first kiss.  That it is impossible to have monogamy or faithfulness not for one nano second because he would need to be 100% attracted in the first place to have that.  The lying and cheating started with that first kiss.

November 27, 2017 4:49 pm  #29

I don’t know about “ew” for everybody but most certainly for some.  The lying thiough, that is the common theme that  essentially brings us all here.  It is very difficult to untangle this type of mindfuck.

November 27, 2017 5:07 pm  #30

For some, there might have been some level of "Ew factor" all along.  For others, it's more likely that there was some attraction.  Enough that they thought they could make it work long-term for their purposes.  Maybe they wanted to be attracted to the opposite sex.  Maybe they just needed a beard.  Maybe some combo of that plus love/like/respect.  I think that's true for my former marriage.  I think that there were certain things that my ex always had an ew factor about - it wasn't necessarily straightforward sex, but anything where a female's private parts would be gazed up with lust - or touched that way.  Getting off wasn't an issue, but passion was.

It just wasn't enough for me.  I had tried so hard to be patient, to be understanding, to be less needy, to become someone more traditionally attractive.  Meanwhile, his drive seemed to be decreasing.  But it really wasn't - it was just decreasing for females - and increasing for males.  He probably still had some feelings left for me when we broke up.  But in my opinion, I wanted all of him, and I was never going to get that.  Parts of him were locked up so that I would never be able to access it.  I never truly knew him - that's the feeling I always had, anyway - as if he was somewhat unknowable.

Now that I have the whole kit and caboodle, I can't fathom making what I had work.  It's not just.... better.  It's immeasurably different.  It's so big of a difference that it feels comparable to getting a man at a club to go home with you once (and never contact you again) vs. getting someone wonderful to fall in love with you all the way.  They are not comparable things.  They are not on the same scale.  And one doesn't satisfy any of the same needs that the other one does.  Similarly, there would be nothing that happens during the one night stand that would make the next day all that much better afterwards - it wouldn't matter if the sex was amazing (because you're never going to get it again from them) or if they whispered sweet nothings in your ear the entire time - because it doesn't MEAN anything at that point.  It's that night-and-day different.  And no amount of improving my former relationship was ever going to be able to hold a candle to just cutting my losses and getting a fantastic straight man.  NOTHING.

There are days when I feel less than attractive (truth be told - all of them!).  But I never feel as though my current husband is looking at me that way.  I mean, he SHOULD - I'm gnarly some days!  But he still sees who he met that first night, apparently - whether I'm in full makeup with my hair done or working in my shorts and T in the back yard, looking sweaty and smelling even worse.  He approaches me as though I'm his gift from the gods.  I cannot tell you what that does for a person's soul.  Well actually, I can - it does amazing, wondrous things.  It lets you concentrate on other areas of your life, because this one's all wrapped up and not worth overthinking.  It's amazing to believe in my soul that this man finds me beautiful - even if I don't.  And I don't believe it because he says it - my ex used to tell me I was beautiful, too.  It's because he acts the way a man acts when he's crazy about a woman.  Always rushing to get back to me, always greeting me with a kiss, always supporting me, even when I'm not standing up for myself.  Always has my back.  Always shows me what I mean to him.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

Board footera