OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 3, 2017 6:20 pm  #11

Re: Everyone I know is closeted- its a nightmare

or maybe people who are gay recognize that my husband is, so they assume I am, and so they befriend me.

September 3, 2017 6:27 pm  #12

and I want to say to out of the closet that for me- it isn't the deception that is the problem- it is the sexuality. I can't make the world a place where everyone feels safe to be who they are. But I want to find a place where I can be straight and my sexual needs aren't a problem. I really need to find that place where most people are straight.

September 3, 2017 6:59 pm  #13

I'm not sure I completely understand. Are you looking for a group of platonic friends who are straight or a partner?

September 4, 2017 12:40 am  #14

I'm not sure where you're going to find a preponderance of straight people.  I'm fresh out of suggestions.  

I remember when I was a young thing, I swung my hips as I walked but then I felt from behind me my GID husband's displeasure and it stopped me from doing it - he shut me down so much.  

It's not that I am looking for anything, it's just that I find the emotional interaction with a straight (assuming they're an okay person) feels so good - simple and cleansing.  

I'm quite happy with gay people but I can't handle the complications of the G/LIDS any more.  And it looks to me like they're everywhere so I think we have to learn strategies for coping.  Mine is to look them in the eye and smile politely.  And I have learnt when meeting people it is better to take a minute and identify them first.

September 4, 2017 6:55 am  #15

Yes it hurts like hell.  In my 40's I got this idea that I needed to hold onto my sexual feelings as more important than anything and not let them go.  I held onto them and slowly I came back to life.  15 years of sleeping on the sofa and working in the studio, I picked up my clay and I think that helped enormously.  I recommend that and gardening to anyone.  Getting your fingers into the earth, it just helps somehow.  anyway so then I realise he is gay and then I realise even tho I know and we have discussed it he is still as duplicitous and manipulative, what you said 'controlling from a disengaged place' and it just gets worse from there.  But there I am divorcing and moving into my own home and I have survived like a stretcher case but still alive inside.  And then oh god I have fallen in love like I never knew was possible and it happened in a split second and almost immediately his wife who had left him comes back and that's it.  

So now I am really screwed.  but it is still distinctly preferable to being married to my ex.

I agree, the picture that emerges is way more terrifying than I could have imagined in my youth.  and I miss the confidence that came with ignorance is bliss.  but I don't regret the super powers!  I am as fed up with closet lesbians as i am fed up with closet gays.  Now I can see them it makes it easier.

September 4, 2017 7:23 am  #16

Ynadin,

I like your frank statement;  " I am not even a tomboy, not by any stretch. It took a lot of effort, consistent hard work day in day out to beat all the "girl" out of me."

I'm not a big masculine guy but a guy I am..  Looking back I saw no gayness in my wife but she always had contempt for men..this attitude that all men think they are better than woman..  it should not surprise me then that is was now my turn to be put on that list.    Perhaps that is the gayness I ignored.     Regardless,
I do feel my masculinity was constantly beaten down.. then when I  had no masculinity left ..when I had really nothing left, she decided what she really needed was a woman.  (a bossy ugly woman I was discarded for).

One great thing about being single now and away from my abuser is that I can be my authentic self and that includes being a man.   I can enjoy sports and activities that she never liked.. I can seek adventures
that  she would never go on..  I do not have to be ashamed for liking these things.     

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

September 4, 2017 2:52 pm  #17

yeah - thanks Rob for broaching the topic.  One couple I know, they are reasonably newly married tho not young people but first of all we got to see the closet lesbian strutting her stuff - wearing sexy clothes and striking poses - it was a bit out there and now I know she's a lesbian I understand why it felt like that - she was acting.  Now it has settled down and hubby is not looking so happy.  completely loyal tho.  And she is making him look as feminine as possible - puts pink dye in his hair and little bows on his shoes and he has no idea why he's feeling irritated.  Rationality has gone out the window.

And you just know it's going to get worse.  

September 9, 2017 8:09 am  #18

Rob, what are all the activities that you are talking about? In myself I see this- that I have cut out all activities that straight men are naturally interested in. What are the adventures? Mountain climbing? Hiking? Fishing ? Please give some examples

September 9, 2017 8:21 am  #19

Ynadin I like all your comments and I am interested in the observation about the EU. Where specifically in the EU? I am thinking of moving there- 
After WWII Americans had huge families- 3,4 and 5 kids . In Europe people only had 1 or 2 kids. I have seen studies that say that the 3rd and later births in a family are more likely to be gay. So maybe there are more gay baby boomers, who stayed in the closet, reproduced, and their children are gay? Certainly the baby boomer generation could have a higher percentage of gay people because the average family size was larger than in Europe.

September 9, 2017 8:34 am  #20

Ynadin, also I would like to hear more about your observation that women your age blow hot and cold on you- is this a sign of lesbianism?
I have noticed that I am told things like:
"My secretary told me she was a lesbian. What do you think of that?"
"On a trip to see the eclipse in NC our waitress could tell we were different. She said she was a lesbian and it was difficult to live there"
Is this code for: I am a lesbian?
I find it hard to believe that a secretary or a waitress would come out with comments identifying themselves as gay to an employer or a customer.
One time I went on a weekend to a friend's country house and there were 4 other women staying. They all knew each other- their children were schoolmates and friends. They started talking about people being gay and looking at me for a reaction. I just nodded but did nothing to add to the conversation. Its like they were trying to smoke me out. I did suspect 2 of their children as being gay. I knew their children from the school activities- but I did not know them previously.

Board footera