OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 17, 2016 6:58 am  #11

Re: Failed to recover

Rob, I am not ignoring you - have been busy as needed to get some asbestos removed from my flat.
What I am thinking is that attack is the best form of defence and if the ex can also transfer some guilt feelings then they can move on and somehow believe that we are the nasty, unsympathetic and intolerant people rather than them. You are getting angry and know all this is unfair and that is a healthy reaction on your part. I was told that I used to be nice and was despicable to want a divorce as my ex was still the same person but happier. I also have two children so cannot run for the hills and not look back. I was told that if my ex had no contact I would ruin their lives and my ex wanted to be totally involved and was prepared to fight for that. No one was in the slightest bit bothered about my feelings or future. Keep going with the renovations and hopefully you will soon be on the road to recovery.  Our stories do have similarities - like total betrayal and then abuse as though we caused the problem. We just happen to be straight and had no idea our partners were not, It is grossly unfair and out of order for them to act so despicably towards us. You have been a lifeline at a time when I was feeling so desperate and beginning to sink without trace, thank you.  
Now going for a walk with my best friend to the biscuit shop.

June 17, 2016 7:22 am  #12

JK

Don't beat yourself up. I think we all do what we need to survive.  You've sound like your taking positive steps now.

I can only concur and empathize with you on the time for recovery..it may take a long time for us...  I got one nasty letter during my divorce where my lezexs lawyer said enough time had past for emotions.   She and her lawyer had the arrogance to dictate how long it should take me to recover. ..this while she still is abusing me.

No... like you im back to baby steps today..

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

June 18, 2016 4:33 pm  #13

I understand the pain of a deceitful marriage regarding sexuality. The grief is profoundly and emotionally paralyzing. I'm glad to hear that you have a good therapist.

June 18, 2016 5:16 pm  #14

I understand the pain of a deceitful marriage regarding sexuality. The grief is profoundly and emotionally paralyzing. I'm glad to hear that you have a good therapist.

June 18, 2016 5:30 pm  #15

Also, JK, your symptoms of PTSD are understandable. They are real and can be long lasting, but you can heal from them. My greatest shock was the deceit for over 30 years and the enormity of lies, being evasive, and dodging my questions for twenty-five years. I knew something was deeply wrong, but often love excuses bad behavior. I was so duped but the person I loved and trusted most in life. My was the long-term repeated lied, but your circumstances of expecting a child and having to endure what you did are so extreme.  Then people celebrate "the coming out" and ignore the collateral damage. You were honest and did not choose a mixed orientation marriage.  I hope you find continued healing from such a magnitude of loss, one that is so incredibly devastating even though people ignore it like its a hang nail or a small snag in life. That response is also traumatic. (((Hugs)))

June 18, 2016 7:43 pm  #16

JK, I have been a member of the SSN forum since 2013 when I found out about my GID husband of 27 years. I posted once or twice back then and have since just come to read the plethora of wonderful advice and support given by the equally wonderful mainstay contributors.

For the past few weeks, I've been thinking about posting what has happened in my life in the last 3 years and what my situation is today. Then tonight when I dropped in here, yours was the first post I saw and I immediately felt a pull in your direction, that I had to respond NOW (that hasn't happened before), simply to let you know that I SEE YOU! I HEAR YOU! I FEEL YOU!  I don't have time to write more than that tonight, but I promise I will be back as soon as I can with much more.

Know that you are no longer ALONE. There are some amazing, caring people here. Sending you lots of love and healing white light.

~ My name is Legion, and I'm a beard. ~

June 19, 2016 5:18 am  #17

Betsy, understanding is wonderful, thank you and I see that you really understand as you too have had your trust betrayed. Maybe I 'needed' to have a really low point now in order to scream and try to heal myself. It also made me search out SSN and this is the first time i have truly been heard. Bless you.

June 20, 2016 2:52 am  #18

Sis, you are amazing and inspirational. I have just been reading your posts and a lot of what you say rings so true with me. Your message here did my heart good. I so look forward to hearing from you again. My ex thought I would stay with them as I was far too 'nice' and tolerant to leave them. But here I am alone and however depressed I sometimes get that is still a far better place to be than with them.

Board footera