OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 19, 2016 12:59 pm  #1

I'm a year into knowing my wife is bisexual

Hi everyone, I just discovered this community and I've been having some serious difficulty this past year. My wife and I have 2 kids, have known each other for 13 years and have been married for 10. She told me last year that she is bisexual and since then we have moved, changed jobs, our kids have changed schools and we have been living a relatively normal life. However, I have not been able to get the feeling of shame and guilt out of me heart. She was never with a woman before but has told me about her fantasies and her interactions with women that she is attracted to. She has told me that she wants to remain in our marriage and sees her sexuality as something that she will just never be able to experience, like living overseas (she says). I'm just constantly stuck in such heavy fear that I will loose her to a third party.  I feel like this contradicts our marriage and I am constantly jealous of l, we'll pretty much everyone. I just need some help with getting through this. I don't want our marriage to end.

July 19, 2016 2:26 pm  #2

Re: I'm a year into knowing my wife is bisexual

Hi Mike.  I'm so sorry you're experiencing this.  You're in the right place.

Do you feel like the marriage is a good one?  If you didn't know about your wife's desires, would you feel fulfilled with the way things are right now?  Or would you feel like you wouldn't have all of her, but wouldn't know what was wrong?  Maybe part of the reason you're feeling threatened is because you already feel her slipping away from you?

How has the past year been with regards to her behavior?  Is she online all the time?  Have you found evidence of her cheating on you, either physically or emotionally?

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

July 19, 2016 3:26 pm  #3

Hi Mike,
 Sorry you are here. My wife had spoke a couple of years of bi feelings but did not act on them (as far as I know). Things began to change after the kids had moved out (we were married 27 years) then my mother passed away that she was very close to. Alas, that is when she made the jump to the other side. I thought we were best friends, lovers and totally honest with each other. Come to find out that none of that was true. She ran into a woman she fell in love with. Had she not she may well still be living with me and making me think everything was okay. If she had met that person 3 or 4 years before.......? That all ended with a divorce back in 2010. She is since remarried to that woman and I will have a 5th anniversary to a wonderful woman late this year. I hope yours does not end that way but do yourself a favor. Keep it in the back of your mind and think a little about protecting yourself. Years ago there was a saying on here that went 'Bi now, gay later' do to some common experiences. There are quite a few of us guys on here even though the lions share seems to be women with gay husbands. Keep posting as you need to.

Be well.
Clif

Ha! Since the new board it claims I am a new member

Last edited by Clif (July 19, 2016 3:27 pm)

July 19, 2016 4:19 pm  #4

Hi Mike, sorry to hear about your difficult marriage.  we can certainly relate here on this forum.

I am one of the older people who stuck it out in a mixed orientation marriage.  In my case I didn't know I was in one and my ex was thoroughly dishonest about it so I kept on suffering without knowing why.  But I know what it's like to hit your 40's, repair your marriage yet again, settle for the discomforts you know rather than leave.  reach some sort of equilibrium where I am thinking oh I am glad I stuck it out only to finally get divorced in my 50's.  It was a relief.

Long term you really can't afford to be sexually jealous of a wife who isn't sexually jealous of you.  She fantasises about being with a woman not you.  She can only lead you round and round the mulberry bush by the nose.  I know this is really bad news, please don't be cross with me for pointing it out.  I do so in the hope that it is helpful for you.

Wishing you all the best, Lily.

July 19, 2016 6:53 pm  #5

That is a tough one. There are two things here you really need to consider - needs and behaviour. The need may never go away but can it be denied? Is your wife able to totally honour her vows? Will she resist this urge or slowly crumble? What happens in a decade or so? Then there's behaviour. Is she fully open with you or will small things begin to happen that are kept hidden? Will there be honesty no matter what? Some of these questions are hard to answer but the really hard one is what is best for everyone?

If there's a mutual solid commitment to each other it's possible you could make it. No one, hetero or LBGT is immune to finding other people attractive, at least on a physical level. When it becomes on an emotional level is when it gets tricky. My former spouse likely had some interest in women all her life but did not act on it and pretty much denied it was possible for her. What this lead to over time was an almost unconscious sabotage of the marriage until, after some personal therapy, she discovered she couldn't deny this part of herself any longer. Trying to make it work would have been unfair to both of us. Then there's the other possible way to work with this knowledge - freedom to explore instead of the 'foresake all others' route. This is also fraught with potential peril. If you look on the main SSN page for the news feed there is a book recently published called "How to Lose Your Wife to Another Woman". I haven't read it yet but it seems that for the author this lead to his spouse finding her female soulmate.

I can't say which way your relationship could or should go but make sure it's based on honesty and don't ignore all the "what-ifs" and future possibilities.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

July 19, 2016 9:55 pm  #6

Thank you all so much. I really hope we will be able to make it.  We had a very beautiful evening where we discussed our feelings and she got a lot off of her chest and so did I. I sort of said straight up that "divorce is off the table." That made her feel safe and we had a very open and beautiful conversation and evening. Who knows what the future will hold. Maybe in 5 years, as she evolves, she'll change her mind. I hope that we can keep our communication open and that I can stay focused and committed to being there for her...I probably sound naive, and I probably am...I'll keep you all posted. It is truly a blessing to have you all as a sounding board and a community I can communicate with. It has been a rough year and my wife doesn't know what it's like. To have my legs cut out from under me and to be in a constant state of questioning and pain. But I have communicated all of that with her. And she said many things on her mind to me. I had to do some deep breathing during our talks to keep my center...I truly hope we can make it. Thanks you all again!! Please keep the advice coming!

July 19, 2016 11:43 pm  #7

yeah look we know what it's like.  you love her.  it can take ages for your heart to catch up with your head.  

But what was the response you got when you spilled your guts?  she "got a lot off her chest" she said stuff back to you that had you deep breathing, i.e., it wasn't truthful in your estimation.  You're the one hurting and she is the one whose needs are being catered for?  

You're the one talking about real feelings - shame and guilt at the heart of your marriage.  Don't you want to understand them?

you love her, Mike, no shame or guilt in that whatsoever.  It just shows the love you're capable of.  Your children are probably primary in your thoughts.  Let them be, they are your children.  But whatever you are thinking, trust yourself and have lots of respect for yourself.  Your instinctive feelings will help guide you.  wishing you all the best, Lily.

July 20, 2016 6:18 am  #8

Cliff   - ' 'Bi now. Gay later'.

That is a great line !

Board footera