OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 13, 2017 6:51 pm  #11

Re: What part hurts the most? Is it different between men/women?

Thank you, Lisa!  Keep looking for those answers.  I don't think the quest ever stops, but the bad times do seem to get fewer and farther between.  Hugs back.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!" - Sir Walter Scott

April 13, 2017 11:03 pm  #12

what hurt the most was the lies and manipulation that had my brain all twisted in knots. A close second was the big reveal after she found out I was in a relationship, confirming the last decade and a half was a complete con.

Funny part is that even though I'm still hurt/angry about the whole thing, i look at her now and realize she wasn't worth an of it.

April 14, 2017 5:41 am  #13

I looked at list trying to decide what hurt the most.    The emotional and physical discard is up there on my
list.  Probably the worst is the abuse and treatment I got as she decided to dismantle the marriage. If I had done something so wrong...but I had not.   The meanness to me who was her best friend and strongest supporter in this world confounds me...  our years together and things we've been through..counted for nothing.  Reality is warped and re-written.  Nothing prepared me for such deep hatred.   

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

April 20, 2017 7:18 am  #14

What has hurt me the most has been that in order to prevent me revealing anything to our four children, he controlled and manipulated them into having such contempt for me that I have not been able to have a loving relationship with my own children. He did this so well that even though I took all financial, education and housing responsibility their minds and hearts belonged to him.
When I married him I expected it to be for life and that I would have a husband a best friend and a loving family. I now have a proper straight husband and best friend, but still no family. That last bit is about to change as I have , after 26 years, decided to tell my children MY truth. One down, three to go! Wish me luck 😝

April 20, 2017 7:21 am  #15

Good luck Motheroffour, it's time, your time has finally come! You were far too protective of him for far too long. I sincerely hope you get to have an acceptable relationship with your children in the near future. Has your daughter come back to you to since you informed her of the truth?

Sometimes we are just the collateral damage in someone else's war against themselves

April 20, 2017 10:39 am  #16

Motheroffour - Something very similar happened to me.  Neither of my children speak to me, but they have a relationship with their father.  I do get a rare email from one of them (they are in their 30's now).  None of us really knew about his sexual orientation at the time of the divorce (13 years ago), but subsequently I figured it out.  In the meantime, he got them to thinking I was the worst thing on the planet and successfully discouraged them from having any relationship with me.  Over the last 2 years, I have sent a couple of emails to the one child I infrequently hear from telling her about her father's orientation and how it has become apparent that that was the underlying issue in the divorce.  I have heard nothing back about it.  She initially sent a few more messages than usual, they were a little warmer than usual (usually no warmth at all, but a cold business tone), and now I am back to hearing nothing.

Yes it is helpful for me to think that at least I "put it out there" and that I now live in a reality and truth that wasn't there before, but just because you are doing it, does not mean that your kids will follow suit.  Motheroffour - maybe that is why your husband (I think this is you from another post) said your kids might hate you even more.  Sometimes members of a family are ready for truth at different times.  If everyone is not in a position to hear it or handle it, they could just continue to sling mud and reject.  I have come to the conclusion that we all just have to accept the truth in our own way and time, but that some might never.  Again, at least I can say that I live with the truth now, and that I have done everything I can to share that truth with my kids.  If they cannot or will not accept it, there is just nothing more I can do, but yes, it hurts more than anything else I have ever experienced in my life!.  They are well into adulthood and whatever they may or may not eventually accept themselves is way beyond my control at this point.

I believe their father is still in the closet and telling them the reason he does not have a serious woman in his life is because he was so hurt by me.  That has always been the "party line" that the 3 of them have adhered to.  

Every situation is different, though, so the absolute best of luck to you.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!" - Sir Walter Scott

April 21, 2017 12:56 pm  #17

Thank you both for your replies. The daughter I told lives with us at the moment. She has been warmer to me and has acted in some general advice i gave her. I usually get brushed off, even though they want o know what I think. I'm not pushing it, i said my piece nad it will take a long time to filter through.
It does hurt more than anything doesn't it... that is why the GIDX targeted my children. It was the main way to get back at me for being the straight woman I am and reminding him that he is fake. It's like we arent even worth kindness in their eyes. It's the ultimate prize to remove a child from their parent's love. It is an extension of partner abuse into child abuse IMHO. I feel so bad for my children that I didn't marry a proper father for them and that they have been exposed to this kind of manipulation.

April 23, 2017 12:25 pm  #18

Hi Pheonix,

I found out 9 months ago-and had a baby 5 months ago. I just moved out 3 weeks ago. There is a lot to post (just made a post about my husband meeting men and transgender women). I am probably an exception to what your theory is. I have kept everything to myself and have recently moved out and have told a few close friends. The emotional support has been amazing. Our relashonship has turned so awful because I decided to stay because of the baby, lease etc. for me, the hardest thing to get over is the sex part of it. For me, that is one of the biggest ways I feel and show love. I'm the beginning it was great and pretty quickly died down. I was ALWAYS sexually frustrated but I loved him so much so I believed him when he said he just didn't have a high libido due to Vicodin. I was always crying and feeling rejected. Now, I know that I am a mess and trying to move on with my life, but I now still have no partner when he has so many. It's like he took every part of me and then said he didn't want it. But the feeling rejected and denied a basic human need (that I apparently still won't be getting any time soon) is what I think has caused me the most pain. Finding out what he was doing felt horrible, but at this point at least it is somewhat of an explanation. I am very sorry for what you went through as well.

April 23, 2017 5:50 pm  #19

Nutmeg, I agree the worst bit is the sex part, the loss of a real love life.  

Mother of four - "the ultimate prize to remove a child from their parent's love"  - goodness, now that you say it I see how often that is the case.  thank you.

There is hope.  I have a friend it happened to and she had to walk away from her children when the youngest was quite young or see him drag them into court.  There was a lot of estrangement and false resentments when she did reconnect but she hung in.  Now she is well and truly a grandmother, and she visits with them all and become close again, with one in particular but all of them to some degree.

hugs all round.

Last edited by lily (April 23, 2017 5:52 pm)

April 24, 2017 9:13 am  #20

Great replies from everyone.  Thanks for having this conversation.  I think it's helpful for me and hopefully everyone to do some soul searching and try to identify which aspects of our emotions were hurt. 

Nutmeg and lily.  Thanks for sharing that the physical part was hardest for you as well.  Clearly there is not a blanket rule that says all men must feel a certain way and all women must feel a certain way.  It's good to hear that other people understand how I feel in this area  (not just men either). 

So how do we heal?

I have found that time helps.  I think we can all safely say that we will eventually find the pain diminish. 
But how can we be pro-active and move forward to find a healthy peace of mind?

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

Board footera