OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 1, 2017 9:59 am  #1

Strategy for surviving Valentines day

I'm sure most of you have been assaulted by Valentines day marketing for a couple of weeks already.. and it will only get worse. 

I'm sure most of us on this forum are NOT looking forward to this holiday.  Since most of us are single and in the process of separating it is a very painful reminder of love that we've lost (or would say we never truly had). 

How do we make the best of it?  How do we avoid the depression and pain that we feel on a day that is supposed to be a celebration of romantic love with a significant other?

Anyone have ideas?

Try to make plans with other single friends?   Just make yourself super busy so that you don't have time to think?  Celebrate your own self by treating yourself to a treat and a bottle of wine?   Stalk your ex and leave hate notes?

Last edited by lostdad (February 1, 2017 10:00 am)

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

February 1, 2017 3:28 pm  #2

Re: Strategy for surviving Valentines day

This won't sound all that uplifting but I'll share my stories and if it helps it helps.

On my first Valentines day post separation, I didn't know the whole truth so I brought her flowers and told her I love her. I didn't push anything, just did what I felt was right and hoped for the best. I had hoped it would help a resolution but we all know how that went LOL, she actually complained that I did it all wrong because I didn't talk enough (because that's the problem...not the fact she was in a relationship with a woman).

My SECOND valentines day, I had a couple FWB and I sent them a text message. It resulted in some nude pics coming back on my phone and it made me happier than ever. I also bought the kids some chocolates for their lunches.

Even though year 1 was a retarded thing to do, I have no regrets because it felt right. And year 2 I didn't even acknowledge her presence because that felt right as well. So if Valentines is a bug thing for you, I suggest thinking it through and finding out what feels right and act upon it. Whether it's staying home and crying it out or hitting a singles night for sloppy drunk sex, just take the time to know what you really want and go for it.

February 1, 2017 3:40 pm  #3

I'm so happy this valentine's day.. nothing to get or stress over.  This and mothers day I was never able to get her anything she liked..jewelry, dinner, clothes...she always expected more.
  Its odd..it does not make me feel unloved...

Last edited by Rob (February 1, 2017 3:43 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

February 1, 2017 6:12 pm  #4

Once you figure out how to give and receive love in a healthy way, every day can be Valentine's Day! 

It's all what you make of it.   This Sunday will have been 17 years since I got married.  I always do something really nice for myself, so I don't think about my wedding, walking down the aisle, and thinking I would be happy.  Because I am happy, now.  But I never forget about that day, and the 9 day honeymoon to Hawaii, which ironically ended on Valentine's Day. 

As for Valentine's Day, it's just another day.  If I put myself in the space of TGT, he always did something for Valentine's Day that was overly elaborate--jewelry, flowers, trips...  So I really tend not to trust any of those gestures, as I always think of them as forced.  One of my many flaws. 

“Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places.”

February 1, 2017 9:46 pm  #5

I am gonna try not to be sick again. Or too sad that is. He never really brought me anything on this day of love.. I would see the stands with flowers everywhere, the men running to their cars with such from malls and the like, I would go to CVS to buy him a card and watch all the men frantically mulling over the ones there to get their loves,  the news talking about how the husbands were out in force buying for the wives. The commercials leading up to such with big luxury cars and jewelry galore ads unending on TV. The jokey no gift for wife/ no sex for hubby sentiments.. Sweet little loving smiles given by people, blah, do I sound bitter? Yep, sorry to say I am. For years I heard of gifts and gestures and romantic dinners and beautiful bouquets  from family and friends,. and I got nothing for the most part. He's forgotten,..again, just happened to be broke that weekend, tired from working so very hard to support me and his children, temporarily memory loss, yada yada, I don't think I ever had a good valentine coming my way.. But I will say that I enjoyed buying for the ones I loved and did, like my kids, my mom and dad and friends when I could afford it, and hell even him!,, although I won't again. Last year he did buy me a big box of cheap chocolates, I didn't open them that day but...come the end of the night he wanted to know where they were.. I was waiting all evening for him to ask me,  so I told him to have a ball! Not the Cinderella one I expected for years JUST ONCE!

Oh well I love pumpkins just the same. Sorry going to be another bummer day for me! I'll get through it though!

February 1, 2017 11:16 pm  #6

I think if I see any pretty flowers I may buy myself a bunch, or maybe I'll wait until February 15 when they'll be on sale. What I do NOT want to do is buy myself a box of marked-down chocolates and devour them.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

February 2, 2017 7:29 am  #7

Valentines Day doesn't bother me so much, because he always treated it like an obligation.  What's been more difficult is the complete lack of any spontaneous gesture of love or appreciation at any other time.  Over time I learned I could give myself gifts of small pleasures.  For years now I've been buying myself flowers at the grocery store on the weekend, and taking them to my office, where I can appreciate their beauty and color all day.  Being alone on Valentine's Day longing for love is tough (unless you're celebrating the day by being actively relieved), but it's not worse than spending the evening doing the same thing while with a spouse who is emotionally unavailable. 

February 2, 2017 9:13 am  #8

I think the real holiday is the 15th... when all the chocolate and candy is 50% off.    

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

February 2, 2017 12:00 pm  #9

I have the opposite problem - V Day isn't and never has been all that big of a deal to me.  But holidays are everything to my current husband, PLUS it's his birthday.  He likes to celebrate both, which can be a challenge.  How do you do a romantic dinner when the kids all want to see him then, too?  It's probably my highest stress day of the year!  Lol.

But if I were alone and it bothered me any, I think maybe I'd go buy myself some lovely flowers, get a nice bottle of wine, and do something different - like some wonderful cheeses and crackers for dinner - maybe some fruit, nuts, dried fruit.  Put on my favorite upbeat jazz music.  Then do a decadent ice cream for dessert.  Watch Sixteen Candles - funny, romantic but only a little bit.  Throwback to when life was simpler.  Enjoy yourself!

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

February 4, 2017 3:45 pm  #10

I book myself in for a massage.  It's a great way to remind myself that I am worth loving and caring for.

Board footera