OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 10, 2016 3:02 pm  #1

Feeling down

I've been trying to stay motivated & get out of the house to do things so that I'm not stuck in a funk about everything. But it's not really working anymore. My family is supportive, we have had such a fun summer so far, they have been good at trying to distract me from this. But lately, when I'm out, I can't help but just think about everything. I look around & see couples together that are happy. I see men that resemble my husband. It feels like everyone has someone except me now. I know that's not true but every where I look that's what I see. It hurts me so much, this loneliness. I went to the lake/park yesterday with my family & kids. I tried to enjoy myself & everything around me. I caught myself a lot of the time sitting & staring into the sky or water & just tearing up.  Sorry I'm just really hurting a lot right now

July 10, 2016 6:28 pm  #2

Re: Feeling down

kt - I wish there was something else I could tell you besides that it will just take time.  Every day that you get through it one closer to feeling normal again.  I used to do the same thing.  One time I had to come home from the mall because I started to cry while I was shopping.  It was truly awful.  But it will pass. 

Sometimes going "out" and doing things isn't the answer.  Sometimes it's just as good to stay in and watch a movie or TV show or bake or whatever makes you happy and relaxed. 

And you know as well as I do that those couples you see out there aren't always the picture of happiness behind closed doors.  Don't give any of them a second thought.  I know it's hard not to.  But you know you're not alone.  And you know now that we are all here and are going through or have gone through the same thing.  That may not make the pain any better but sometimes knowing there are others who truly get it can help you through the worst parts. 

July 10, 2016 6:50 pm  #3

Kt,

I hear you..  Sunday evenings are the worst.. the weekend is over ..one wants to relax and rest to prep for the week.  My demon ..um,.i mean GIDX has just returned..she has been out and away (aka out having sex/gay fun) since Saturday afternoon.   She has gone out with my son and I do get a reprieve.  

I tear up all the time..   I wiped tears in chuch this morning as I sat with all the "intact" families.
Crying is ok... I am neither ashamed or troubled by it anymore.    I am glad to be off my anti-depressants and I can feel things..       I cried during a movie with my kid this weekend..  We feel..we exist..  I can tell you on the anti-depressants they helped but I missed crying..  I want to feel..this is who I am.  

Going out is not always the answer and even with family or friends the enormity of our predictament can come crashing down on us.

My latest  is to keep busy with my things.. home projects.   My lezex has not moved out yet so I pay no alimony.   I'm trying to make lemons from lemonade by saying fine...I have this money now so I will get what I need.  Medical needs long put off..check.   Stuff for my car...check .   
Breakfast out on the deck in the sun...check.

Try to look forward and not back.. We don't know what problems all those families we see have.  
While we don't have intact families  we are in transition...we have solitude and freedom of a being single or semi-single.   Truth be told we can do anything we want now...no spouse to yell at us or say no.. 

We can be kind to ourselves and practice self compassion.   If we want to veg and watch sappy movies all weekend we can do that.. our spouses are no longer entitled to our time or even an explanation.    My favorite thing to do is spend time with my kids but if they are busy I'm finding interests.  It is best when my demon .um I mean lezex is not around.

You are not alone.   

Last edited by Rob (July 10, 2016 6:52 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

July 11, 2016 5:52 am  #4

I've felt just as you do many times. I believe you're in the depression stage of grief. You  describe very well what it's like to be with family or friends and just feel detached.

This is a normal part of grief. One suggestion -- are you on antidepressants? Most of us here have been and they really help. Do you have a therapist? Also very important.

I wish you the best. This does get better, but it takes time.

"You want a man who messes up your lipstick, not your mascara."

July 12, 2016 1:59 am  #5

Thanks Still Wondering, Rob, & Sue

I think I'm feeling worse emotionally, I've been kind of stalling with the divorce paperwork. And I finally turned them in today. My chest feels tight & hurts, my heart physically hurts. I feel my heart pounding. I was better today than yesterday tho, I couldn't cry today. Some days are better some are worse.
    Sue, I do have a therapist & appt coming up. She asked me before if I wanted AD's, I declined because I didn't want to not be able to feel anything & don't want to have any issues w/ being addicted to them. But I am considering trying it now because this constant feeling of sadness, hurt, loneliness & anger are getting to be too much. It's all I ever feel now most of the time.
    Still Wondering,
I understand why staying home & not doing much is good too. Then I don't have to see all those "happy couples" & such. I was at the mall the other day & I started crying in JC Penney. Or having lunch at a restaurant & it's like all the right sad songs were playing one after another. I got so teary eyed. I need to keep my sun glassss with me now at all times to hide my watery eyes lol.

Rob,
Your bluntness about your lezex makes me laugh a lil, the way you describe being out & away "out having gay fun". I totally know what you mean. After not seeing my STBX for a few days, when I do see him that's all I bet he's been doing!
    My kids are good tho at making sure I laugh, smile, & get distracted from it all. I have proven myself tho to be a lot stronger than I ever thought I could be. Never thought I would have the strength or balls to leave him!!! Somehow God is giving me the courage to do this much so far.

July 12, 2016 6:49 am  #6

Having been on antidepressants during this time and before, I have not noticed any blunting of my feelings, nor are they addictive. They won't make it all better;  just get you to a place where you can begin to cope. Best of luck!

"You want a man who messes up your lipstick, not your mascara."

July 12, 2016 11:19 am  #7

Kt,

I hear you.. when seeing the other happy couples and intact families it can put one over the edge.   I'm getting much better at being alone... When I do see other people or friendly woman that have a ring on their finger..  I think well good for you..you are normal and deserve a spouse.

Me.. well my lezex has made my life now such that I don't deserve a spouse or to even to be spoken to.   I
am garbage to her.     I know these things are not true but boy did she do a good job making things feel this way.   I can't think of anything I would have done differently.

"..My chest feels tight & hurts"..     It is physically exhausting to divorce these gay narcissists.      I don't think the ADs are addictive...at least the ones I was on there were no real withdrawal symptoms...that or my life is so shitty that I didn't notice the withdrawal.    To be honest,  my pills used to make me shake a little...I'm glad to be off them.      

But my trauma and abuse does continue...I'm just used to it and try not to think about the sheer horribleness and enormity of life now..    I'm ok being alone now but the reality is sometimes I feel totally alone..being married and going out with my gayex for so long  I was happy with a companion.

It would be nice someday to have a companion.....I deserve hugs.  I'm not a bad person.   I'm capable of so much love and friendship.    To be utterly rejected by my best friend and spouse is mind boggling.    But, again, I can't think of anything I would have done different.    I certainly don't want to be in a relationship  with anyone if their love and friendship is precarious as a dirty dish in the sink causing a gay affair.

July 12, 2016 12:24 pm  #8

As for antidepressants, I've always been able to "feel" while on them.  I cry, I laugh, I get excited - the full range of emotions.  I just don't act like a crazed animal when I get overwhelmed.  Lol.  I am not addicted to them so much as grateful for them.  I consider it a chemical imbalance that I'm medicating much the same as insulin is to a diabetic.

It's been a long time now since I was alone and lonely.  But I remember the feeling vividly.  Not knowing what to do with the other side of the bed.  Feeling like everyone saw me all alone. Just know that not everyone you see together is truly happy.  And being without a partner can be a really great thing when you need to just worry about you and taking care of you.  Try to think of some things that you couldn't do when you were with him - things he didn't like or didn't tolerate well.  Maybe it's a place - like the zoo.  Or maybe it's a kind of music that you can now play without any complaining.  Maybe it's walking around barefoot or letting the dishes pile up in the sink.  Or rearranging the entire living room.  My ex didn't like doing much, and was such a neat freak that it bordered on insanity.  After he left I was free to take the kids to museums or to the park without feeling like I needed to worry about the other adult getting bored and antsy.  I was able to have dinners that he didn't consider dinners - like corn dogs and french fries that the kids loved.  Or doing something corny that he never saw the value in - like having a candlelight dinner, or a game night.  I stopped staying home on the weekends to do laundry, as that was HIS way, not mine.  I concentrated more on things that enriched my soul - free concerts in the park, stopping by every farmer's market that I passed, and making decorations for the house for every holiday - "okay kids, time to draw baby chicks and Easter eggs for the front door!".  They LOVED it.  We'd spend afternoons in the library, evenings all balled up in a fort reading in a pit of blankets, and no one told us that the kitchen wasn't clean enough to have such fun.  We ate cereal for dinner, then went out for ice cream.  We stopped to look at the pound at every puppy there was - just to do it.  Life was a hell of a lot more fun once I realized that Iiiiii got to make an agenda that didn't include coddling the adult toddler.  I could blast dance music while I prepared dinner, spend time organizing all my earrings, throw out the old sheets for flowered ones.  I.had.a.blast.  And then I met someone who LOVED all those things about me.  And now I get to do them all the time.

Life can be amazing.  It's all about perspective.  I'm not suggesting that you won't be sad or lonely or wish you had someone - like everyone you seem to see around you.  What I am saying is that when you concentrate on what you don't have, you will feel horrible.  When you start skipping through the mall because no one's going to stop you, you might just start to feel amazing.  Make a bucket list and then start to check things off of it.  They don't have to be big - "learn how to knit" is one of mine, as is "visit all the state parks", and "take new pics of the kids".  Learn to make an excellent blueberry pie from scratch.  Rent a convertible and joy ride through the country.  Smoke a cigar.  Go get mix to make the perfect margarita to drink tonight after dinner and put on some Caribbean music.  Replace all the pics in your picture frames with ones that make you smile.  Go hang out in the bookstore for hours on end.  Go poking through garage sales.  Take a trip to the craft store or the fabric store.  Get excited about new things.  Plan a trip with the kids - even if it's an hour away.  Exhaust yourself doing things that make you feel happy.  Life will get better - I promise. 

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

July 14, 2016 7:32 pm  #9

Kels posts is positive. .truth be told we can do whatever we want now.

I've gradually becoming  comfortable by myself ...I remember in the beginning when. I was in shock from her affair and in shock from being discarded...I couldnt do anything on my own.  Gradually I realized I could do whatever I want
..the first thing I did was start doing small things I like.  Its funny i realized I'm not a horrible selfish person..it does t take much to make me.happy.  I really gave everything to my then wife and nothing to me.

I still get down.

July 15, 2016 12:22 am  #10

Thanks everyone. And Kel, thank you for the advice. I've started to do more productive things around the house like unpack left over boxes from our move when we bought this house beginning of the year lol.
    These past couple days I have been feeling numb. Sometimes angry. But mostly numb. I'm not sure why. I haven't been able to cry. Maybe my tears are recharging for this coming weekend. But I saw my dr today & he Rx'd me an anti depressant/anxiety medication. Guess we'll see how this helps.
   Sorry Rob that's she's so terribly devilish to you. I've spent half my life giving to him & for what? To be nothing to him now! Trying to think of things to do for myself. I read a quote "if you want to be strong, you have to enjoy being alone". I'm not enjoying it I guess that's the toughest part & where we need to be the strongest.

Board footera