OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 17, 2016 9:15 pm  #21

Re: Wife just told me she thinks she is gay

I know this feeling, I am now beginning to understand why his mom wanted us to "just live together" an not get married. Wish I had listened. 

I do feel your pain, and I am sorry you have found yourself in this situation. People here are great and don't mind if you have to rant once in a while.

Go not quietly into that great, good night......Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

December 18, 2016 6:28 am  #22

Ted,

The sorting out of stuff you saw years ago is what I do as well. Lots of years to analyze (46) and you (37). It's like the biggest mind orgasm when something fits. I don't think any of us here are to blame for the breakup of a relationship or marriage under these circumstances. We never had a chance with them because we aren't what they wanted or will ever want. I feel like he rented me to point and say that gorgeous female lawyer is my wife. Then we'd go home and he'd abuse me. Your wife imagines she can play you. I think you're doing an outstanding job of exposing her game. Good for you! If I can only advise you to do one thing in this, I'd tell you to put yourself first. You are worth more than her game. 

Last edited by Judy (December 18, 2016 6:47 am)

December 19, 2016 9:12 am  #23

I must say that the one silver lining here is that I can now see that I was not the horrible husband and father that my wife always made me out to be. I talked with both of my sons over the weekend and though I did not tell them that their mother thinks she is gay we did talk about their childhoods. Both said that they had great memories with me and both had issues with their mother. Both boys pointed out that I was their scout leader and soccer and football coach. I was the parent that was active in their personal and school lives, my wife never seemed to even make it to most of their sports matches or school events. I now remember my younger son's teacher asking me if his mother had passed away or if I was divorced because she had never seen my wife at school in the entire year (4th grade). And I was always the bad parent according to my wife. This is not what everyone else sees. Also a lot of our friends form our years together are still my friends and not hers. So many people from our past do not want to talk with her and as one friend I confided in says, she does not trust my wife. Wow and all this time she had me thinking I was Hitler reincarnate.   

December 19, 2016 1:53 pm  #24

Tedb,

Crazy isn't it. They make us out to be so horrible when the opposite is true.  And to probe it they discard us...that makes it true..  then they tell people we were bad fathers incapable of raising the kids..that we were never there...  saying it makes it true. 
I could do nothing but divorce her and get away from her.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

December 19, 2016 2:14 pm  #25

Hi Ted,

So sorry you're going through all of this.  These people don't just suddenly "become" gay one day, as if struck by lightening.  They've known for a looooong time - and they know for sure - by the time they come to us and let us sneak an itty-bitty-tiny peek at what they say is them thinking that maybe - just maybe - they're gay.  It's their way of starting down a path that hopefully leads to them being free to indulge in their true sexuality while still having their safety net in case they need to pull back for whatever reason.  If the two of you both go on out-of-town trips for extended periods of time, and she's had opportunity to indulge and "try out" her new sexuality, then trust me when I say that she's only telling you so that she can begin the process of breaking away.

There's an old joke that I refer to as the Cat on the Roof joke:
Woman goes out of town and calls home and asks hubby how everything at home is.  He says, "the cat died."  She is hysterical - "WHY did you just blurt it out like that?!?  Couldn't you have broken it to me more gently?"  "How?", he says.  "Well", she says, "the first day I called home you could have said, "The cat's on the roof".  And then the next day you could have said, "the cat fell off the roof."  Day three you could have said the cat isn't doing well from the fall.  Day four you could have said, "it's not looking like the cat's going to make it," and then the fifth day you could have told me that the cat died.  This is just such a shock!"  The husband says, "I'm sorry, honey.  I'll try to remember that the next time something like this happens."  The next day, the woman calls home and asks her husband how everything at home is.  He replies, "Your mother's on the roof."

They're all just trying to break the news to us gently - so we don't freak out and run, or kick them out and pitch a fit and make them look bad.  Then they can somehow get permission to "go find out if they're gay" - which is a freaking hall pass to openly galavanting around, having sex with others.  It will take them a while to "find out" - because the sooner they figure it out, the sooner you will want to figure out what to do with that information.  If they've got permission to have their cake and eat it too, they will - every.damned.time.  It's your job to say, "I don't care if you're a damned PLATAPUS - you're not running out and having sex with platipuses.  We're married, we committed to each other, and if you're telling me that you want to have sex with others - then have at it.  But not with me by your side.  I'm out.  But...... IF you said that?  There would be a huge fit pitched on HER end - because she's fully expecting you to be a chump for some reason and let her go play.  If you say no, she will just go back to being covert again until she feels that she can no longer live with a foot in both worlds.  And then she'll choose the other world.  Until she get dumped, which is when she comes back and says that she's NOT gay, she's done with that lifestyle, and she wants you back.  Wash, rinse, repeat ad nauseum.

She's lying to you, plain and simple.  She KNOWS she's gay, and she's been cheating on you a long time.  She just doesn't want you to think that's the truth because it makes her look bad.  And if there's anything that's precious to a narcissist, it's their image.  You are simply collateral damage.  Don't let yourself be taken advantage of in this way.  Make no future plans except for how to start your new, separate life.

You can do this.

Kel

Last edited by Kel (December 19, 2016 2:18 pm)

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

December 19, 2016 3:30 pm  #26

I did already tell her that this is over and I did it in front of our counselor. I am not giving in, she does not believe me but I am filing for divorce right after the Holidays. And what makes it special is that my attorney used to be her friend and hated me because of what she was told by my wife. The attorney is now my good friend and she will be pleased to handle this case.    

December 20, 2016 9:45 am  #27

Keep moving forward Ted.  You are doing fantastic!  

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

December 20, 2016 1:40 pm  #28

Thanks lostdad but can you tell me something? Why, no matter what I say, does she think everything is ok? She still talks about our future and asks where we should retire even though I keep telling her it is over. She is absolutely oblivious to what she has done to me and thinks that everything is alright. I know that she is going to "meet" with some Lesbians on the day I leave on a business trip and I know that she will be trying the life style then, if she hasn't already and I'm pretty sure she has why does she even want me around? I am saying I'm gone wouldn't that make it easy for her?? She just always says that "women are more fluid this way" but cheating is cheating!!! She seems to think this is some kind of personal growth the way she talks about it. None of it makes any sense at all. Her personality just completely changed a couple of months ago and snap she was gone. Well I have my plans for moving on and I am actually pretty happy about them.  

December 20, 2016 2:35 pm  #29

She thinks that she can control you. 

If she says everything is alright the she thinks you will believe her.  She thinks that avoiding the topic will make it go away. 

My advice for you is this..  start making legal preparation for divorce if that is your plan.  Don't tell her you are doing it.  Make her think she is controlling you.  The element of surprise can be very useful in divorce proceedings.  If you plan to use an attorney, visit them now and ask what actions you can take before you file to make things better for you.  If your state considers an affair useful to you in court, consider hiring a PI to get proof for you, unless you can find it yourself.  Unfortunately, divorce becomes a business transaction and you want to be way ahead of the game if possible.    

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

December 20, 2016 2:58 pm  #30

Yeah I have already talked with my attorney, she was my wife's best friend at one time, but my wife treated her like crap and they are no longer friends at all. I am still very close friends with her and she is dying to take the case, hell she said she would do it for free! She is the best divorce attorney in the Caribbean so I know I will be very well represented plus she already knows what to expect with my wife. I actually think it should not be to much of a problem since we are pretty well set and I am happy to do a 50/50 division of wealth. But I know she will be very surprised that I am going through with this. So I really need the encouragement from you guys to keep going forward, it really is hard after 37 years.  

Board footera