OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 8, 2016 10:55 am  #11

Re: Wife just told me she thinks she is gay

Yeah I have noticed the roller coaster effect. I was totally bummed last night and woke up thinking about riding my motorcycle, made me happy for sure but I need to buy a new one and it's too damn cold! We are moving next month so I don't want to get involved with a group until I get moved. Hate to start something when I will be moved in a few weeks. I will send you a PM lostdad as I am in one place half of the year and another the other half of the year due to business. 

December 9, 2016 2:37 pm  #12

Rollercoaster yeah... some good days.. some bad days..     Motorcycle sounds like a good idea.  

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

December 9, 2016 2:52 pm  #13

The bike has always been my best friend, just get out on the road and blow it out! My dog is also a huge stress reliever and a great listener! Going to counseling with my wife tomorrow and I am dropping the big "I'm done!". She told me the other night that women are just more "fluid" about these things! And that she expects us to stay together even if she is gay. She was just talking to me about what we will do for retirement. I believe she thinks that she is Bi and that it would be ok for her to have a relationship with a woman while staying with me. She said that our sex life is wonderful so obviously her being gay doesn't change anything with us YUK.  

December 9, 2016 7:25 pm  #14

I concur with the statement about the dog. Mine was a life saver, constant companion and an imposer of routine to keep me from spending all my time dwelling on this. As for the rest of your post - seems it's all about what she wants. The truth is that you are allowed to say that having someone on the side is not OK if that's what you feel. So-called fluidity be dammed, it's not a free-pass to go do what you like. How would she feel if you insisted that you should be allowed a lover because your sex life won't suffer. What ever happened to trust and commitment, vows to forsake all others?

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

December 11, 2016 1:51 pm  #15

Well we met with our councilor / Doctor yesterday and I brought up the Gay issue. My wife was not happy that I brought this up and said that it had nothing to do with our marriage problems. I disagreed and so did the doctor. He gave me a councilor to see for a few sessions  and some meds for anxiety. Her told my wife that this is a huge issue and not something that should be hidden from him. He wants to see her again next week and after she left the room he told me that she has a lot of serious issues and asked that I stay around for a while. She is upset about this whole thing and the effect on me but that just shows that she can't see what a big deal this is. Well I will take this day by day and I will keep coming back here for the wonderful support and the ability to chat with people that understand because you have all been there or are there now.  

December 11, 2016 3:45 pm  #16

.." I have been taking care of my wife and kids for so long that I forgot about myself and that is going to change now."

Yeah me too.. lost myself in her..   I'm trying to remember who I was before meeting and going out with her.    I'm still fundamentally the same person.. but I'll never depend on someone so much again..   The betrayal and lack of morality , the evil was like something I never experienced before.. I  never want to go through this again.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

December 12, 2016 5:40 pm  #17

"Lost myself in her"

​Wow that says it so well Rob, I truly did, even though she never treated me great I was lost in her. Life is getting a little better and I have to owe that to you guys and my dog. She, the dog not the wife, looked at me this morning and kind of shook her head, I was seriously down. She went and got her leash and demanded a walk, you don't argue with a pit-bull, it was a damn long one, you know "going home, oh no I guess not". It was just what I needed. Why do I even care about all of this, things actually look pretty good once I am on my own again. But she has this thing over me that I can't explain. This is not right I have invested 37 years in this relationship only to find out it was the biggest scam I've ever gotten caught in.THANKS GUYS!!!  

December 14, 2016 2:48 pm  #18

Well my wife is acting like everything is ok now and that we are fine. She was talking about our next vacation and a possible place to move in the future. I told her that I have no plans to stay with her and that my vacations will be my vacations. That went in one ear and out the other. We are stuck together for the short run because we work together but I want us to live separately ASAP. She still talks about possibly being gay and I know that she is getting together with some gay women on the day that I leave for a business trip. I travel a lot and I have started to wonder how often these get togethers occur when I am out of town. I am gone for at least 2 weeks ever time I leave. She has lied to me about this kind of thing before and tried to cover up very suspicious stuff. Looking back on our life together I wonder how long she has known she was gay and covered it up. She has been so effective at deflecting blame onto me for so long about our marriage that I was beginning to believe, no she always had me believing, that I was the cause of all our trouble. But after doing an inventory of our life together both by myself and with our doctor I have begun to see how little I had to do with our problems. I did tell my oldest son a few weeks ago that things were not good in my marriage and he seemed actually like he was rooting for me to dump her. She has never treated him very well either and he is almost 40. He actually has very little contact with his mother and a lot of contact with me. She is such a narcissist that she can only see her point of view and she won't even acknowledge she is the problem in our marriage until after I'm gone, probably not then either. I will not stay married to a gay women especially one who has no redeeming traits. Wow, I feel better now sorry for the rant! 

December 14, 2016 3:00 pm  #19

Good rant!!

If I were in her shoes...   I could stay with my husband and have my flings on the side and still have him take care of me financially and keep me insured and in my comfortable home.  I can keep deflecting the blame on him and have him work hard to keep me happy.  Or i could strike out on my own, have to come out of the closet, have to fend for myself..   I think I would try to stay with you too. 

I don't know anything about being gay because I'm just not.  But I honestly don't think there are many people who are heterosexual at a young age and turn gay later in life.  I think (and this is just me pontificating) that people find out how they are wired in their early teen years.. either gay or straight.. but then choose the life they think they want to live.  If they are too scared to come out as gay, they will pretend to be straight.. sometimes only for a few years, sometimes for an entire lifetime.  I just depends on how long they can keep in under wraps. 

I think your wife (like mine) has always been gay.  She just wasn't willing to admit it to herself or to others until now. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

December 14, 2016 3:22 pm  #20

Oh yeah I am starting to see just how long she has known she was gay by little things she has let slip over the years. I really sat down and went over our life together year by year and saw so many things that didn't make sense at the time, but had I known what to look for, would have raised very big red flags. About 15 years ago a friend of hers, not her friend anymore, tried to let me know something was wrong there. I am still a friend of that woman and I want to talk with her about this when I am back home on business in January. My wife certainly had a lot of "girls night outs" over the years and it's funny that the girls on those night outs were not women I knew. They were not mutual friends of ours. Makes me wonder.  

Board footera