OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 2, 2016 9:19 pm  #1

Not outing you. Outing me.

Hello.  This is my first post on SSN.  I have been silent too long.  So glad there are others who get this.

After 15 years of marriage and three daughters things weren't going so well anymore.  My wife became mean and uncaring.  She had turned 40.  I can look back and see that birthday was a catalyst.  She did some soul searching and realized that what we had wasn't what she wanted.  I stopped drinking, lost weight, and focused on my spiritual center.  I wanted to be a better man for her.  She told me that she wasn't interested in me sexually anymore.  That had been obvious for some time.

After a year or so the night finally came.  She asked me why I continued to be nice to her.  Why I had worked so hard.  I told her that I wasn't going anywhere.  I took my wedding vow seriously.  I was committed to her.  I said that I figured I would keep being the best person I could.  That she used to like me.  I said that I figured that if I kept it up that one day she might like me again.  That was when she announced that she was gay.  I was shocked.  I had been completely clueless.

We hadn't talked about our sex lives before we met.  She told me that she had always been gay.  Before me she even had lesbian lovers.  She told me much more about her life before me that I won't go into here except to say that her description of her attraction to women was honest, belivable, and sincere. Over the next months lots of stuff fell into place.  She had always been quirky and awkward sexually but I laughed it off and even found it endearing.  I though she had little or no experience.  She came from an extremely conservative upbringing.  Little did I know that she actually had a lot of experience sexually, just not with men.

I hung around for a couple of more years for the sake of maintaining family.  I did lots of processing.  I hadn't given homosexuality much though other than to know that I didn't care if anyone was or not.  I believe that when Jesus said all he meant all.  I have had colleagues and friends who were openly gay.  Not an issue.  It still isn't.  In time I began to realize that my now ex had not been faithful.  She spent lots of time away even vacationing with a "friend." There came a point that I asked myself what I would wish for one of my daughters if she found herself in a similar situation.  It was obvious that I would want her to get out.  I decided to set a better example for my children.  I left and filed for divorce.

My ex asked me not to tell anyone that she is gay, including our children.  I agreed.  It isn't my place to "out" her.  We have been divorced now for about three years.  Our relationship is amicable but strained at best.  I have told only a few of my closest friends that she is gay, and only then as a matter of necessity.  I figured I owed them that to better understand what I was going through.  I never talk about it openly and honestly to anyone.  I have never discussed it with my children, two of whom are now 17 and 18.  When I told them I was leaving one straight up asked me if mom was gay.  I told her to talk to her mom.  Obviously, the children know.  We don't talk about it.

So I am tired of not talking.  It isn't that I want to out my ex.  It is that I want to out myself.  I don't mean that I too am gay.  I am very much straight.  I mean that I want to live life honestly and authentically.  Especially with my children.  I recently realized that even after all this time, I have some issues over this gay thing.  I think the only way I am going to be able to move on and become whole again is to come out of the "other side of the closet" closet.   This is why I sought out SSN.  So this is my first installment.  Even if it is on an anonymous web site using a pseudonym.  Let the healing begin.

July 2, 2016 11:20 pm  #2

Re: Not outing you. Outing me.

Hi Rick,
Just wanted to say I myself have been living in the closet with my gay husband for years. I've kept it a big secret from everyone. Until recently these past couple months, I've had enough of it & don't want to suffer anymore. I've told my close family. I was afraid of their reaction but they've been very supportive. I still have so much healing & moving fwd to do but I can say I do feel relieved to finally let it out.

July 3, 2016 12:04 am  #3

Let it out.  I'm tired of the gay closet also..ill tell anyone that will listen..the kids will know in due time..sure they can ask their mom ..but I will tell them my story if asked.

So the meanness is a gay thing.
Heartless cruel and evil. Let them all go off to gay land. .just go away and let me get on with my life.

Like you I kept all my vows and promises.  This lets me sleep.at night..this is who i am.  My lezex has forfeited my authentic strong love.  She has become an  evil soulless being now... Satan incarnate. She is that mean.  I long to be away from such a fake inauthentic person ..

I pray we all find peace and forgiveness and safety .

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

July 3, 2016 6:36 am  #4

I have read that our wonderful ex tgt spouses select us as mates because we are compliant etc.  I have spent some time thinking about why I put up with a relationship that was actually not where I wanted it to be. I don't want go through this again !

I do think it's a good thing that you tell whoever you want. You also have. a choice about you want to tell your story. So good for you !

July 3, 2016 8:50 am  #5

Thanks for the replies. 

I will say that I feel a little guilty about having posted my story last night.  I am afraid that I may have done something inappropriate that could end up hurting my ex should people find out who we are.  There you go, this is what I am talking about.  Why should I feel guilty about telling MY story?  I honestly do though.  Ahrrrg! 

I am going to go to our church now and be around her, our children and our friends.  I am not going to say anything to anyone about what I am going through.  I am going to bite my tongue or stammer for words constructed so convelutedly that people will give me that blank stare wondering what in the world I am saying because, of course, I really havn't said anything. 

I very much appreciate this site and people who understand the str8's perspective.  I pray for the day when we don't need a closet.  I pray for the day when people can see past feeling sorry for the gay partner coming to terms with her sexuality and realize that what she did to me was wrong.  She knew she was gay.  She knew I didn't know.  And, she married me anyway.  Can you say clock ticking, I need to have children NOW!?

Okay, so there I go again, saying stuff that, even as I write, I am sure I am going to feel guilty about as I drive to church this morning...post.

July 3, 2016 2:39 pm  #6

Never feel guilty about the truth. This is your story but that's not the same as a public outing. One person here had a great term for why they split "Irreconcilable Similarities". I think "Ask your Mother" was a perfect response. It is unrealistic to expect you to never tell another soul. You are entitled to talk to close friends and family. If you decide to pursue another relationship that person should know about this aspect of your life. This is now part of who you are.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

July 3, 2016 2:57 pm  #7

Don't feel guilty.  How long does your spouse think it can be kept secret? 

For example my wife cheated on me and filed for divorce so.she can live her gay life...   she will tell people all kinds of other reasons but they are preposterous.
I will tell people.she cheated if asked..   if they want to know more sure... I bring up tgt.    But people have a hard time understanding that.

Guilt..no don't you dare beat yourself up...this is not your fault.

Last edited by Rob (July 3, 2016 9:14 pm)

July 3, 2016 7:00 pm  #8

Thanks guys.  I appreciate the support.  It is good to hear from those who know something about this.  When I did tell those few close friends a little of what was going on all I got back was confusion, "what?" "She's gay?" When I told an openly gay friend she said, "people do that, it happends." I let it go.  I want to say to her, "Hey, I am talking about me here.  This isn't about her." Of course most of these people are friends or at least acquaintances of both of us. Like I said, it is nice to hear from you.  Thank you.

July 4, 2016 4:44 am  #9

Rick:

First, thank you for trusting us enough to share your story, and congratulations for taking that first step of opening up and acknowledging what has happened. That right there is a major step, and nothing to feel guilty about. What is guilt anyway? It's a sense of having done something wrong. It's appropriate if you have done something wrong, as it shows you have a conscience, but if you are innocent of wrong-doing, why does it come up just the same? So ask yourself, what did you do that was wrong? From what I read in your story, I don't see anything that strikes me as wrong. And yet that feeling of guilt comes up anyway. I think most of us know what you're talking about, even though it isn't deserved or even rational.

Over time I've learned one way to reassure myself when that feeling of guilt comes up: I try to steer clear of concepts such as right / wrong, or fair / unfair, or good / bad. Instead what I try to determine is whether something is true or untrue. Truth almost always means it's also right, fair, and good; Untrue almost always ends up leading toward wrong, unfair, and bad. There is rarely a rational reason to feel guilty about Truth.

There are dozens of reasons why we initially resist telling the truth about our marriages and our ex-es, from religious and social to family and financial and everything in between. I did the same for quite a while at first with my ex, until someone asked me why was I keeping a secret that wasn't mine to begin with? Was I trying to protect her? Was I too embarrassed or ashamed? Was I afraid of what other people would think? Was I clinging to false hope that maybe it wasn't true and we could still work things out? It's interesting to me that your children already seemed to know, yet you didn't want to be the one to confirm it for them. That's fair, and I don't mean to suggest it was wrong of you to not confirm it, but it's something to think about. What messages might you have sent them by not confirming it?  I'm not saying there is a right or wrong answer here, but to be aware of why you chose to respond the way you did.

As far as your wife telling you not to out her to anyone, screw that. Why does she want you to keep it a secret at this point? Are there legitimate security and safety issues, or is it because she's ashamed, embarrassed, afraid? Not talking about it keeps the closet walls intact. This is her closet, but it doesn't mean you have to live in there with her just because she says so. You get to choose between truth and untruth, and what proportion of each you are okay with. It's your life too, and you are the only one who gets to vote on how you are going to live it.

I went on longer than I meant to, I guess your story touched me that way, but really my point was about when guilt comes up for no apparent reason, try not to think about right vs wrong, but about true vs not true, and see if that helps.

"Test everything that is told to you. Hold onto that which is true and good."
1st Thessalonians, 5:21

Last edited by BryonM (July 4, 2016 4:52 am)

"I have given you my soul, leave me my name!"  - John Proctor, The Crucible
"Question everything you've been told; hold fast to what is true and good." - I Thessalonians 5:21

July 4, 2016 6:00 am  #10

I like your bible quote Byron. ..

It took me sometime to gather strength and realize I was hanging on to a wife that was no longer true and good.

I guess I was naive...  I thought she was capable of unconditional love like me.    But no she decided suddenly she despised and hated me.   Its a shock to realize her love was faint and shallow. Faltering over a gay woman or the most trivial hardships..    not strong and true.

I just didn't know people could be like this. It makes trusting again almost impossible.

Last edited by Rob (July 4, 2016 6:01 am)

Board footera