OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 6, 2023 7:59 am  #1

Good relationship

My wife recently came out as gay. We have 4 boys together under 10. Been together since high school, 16 years.
Have gone through hell  and back with this women.
Believed we were meant to be always. We had our struggles and always fixed it. The last two years have been incredible marriage.
In March we had a house fire and lost everything. In August she told  me that she is gay.
She didn't know until.about 2 months ago. I always knew she had something missing we could never dogure out what it was. Now we.know.
She says she has learned to love me differently that I am her chosen family and will always love me.
I am trying to be there for her at the same time dealing with the life I had never imagined.
We both are determined to stay best friends as we always were and I'm wondering has anyone had great success in staying close friends with their ex. Is it possible.
She truly is my best friend I just don't know how to make the change from wife to best friend. How to stop thinking about us all the time ans how good our relationship was.
Any help advice or stories appreciated

September 6, 2023 8:22 am  #2

Re: Good relationship

I am friends with my ex gay boyfriend. He would never admit that he was gay. After I broke up with him, I reconnected with some one from my past and am happily married. I am not mad at the gay ex. I don't spend time with him because I am married but I am friendly with him. I remember the pain and the anger when I found out. I wish you all the best.

September 6, 2023 10:43 am  #3

Corey,
Why do you turn over and lay down at the moment your wife announces to be gay?
As if like what you've in your history together (4 children), is of no importance in comparison to that. Because "The all mighty holy sexual orientation" has shown up, and everybody needs to bow down?
Don't you (both) have independent thoughts for yourself, like: maybe we can navigate this? 
Are you simply slaves to the culture? Well...maybe, but it's certainly your call. 
If you're interested in an alternative path to go about it, read my (our) story.
Maybe nothing for you, but at least consider other pathways.
https://straightspouse.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1931

September 6, 2023 12:33 pm  #4

Our history is everything to me, and I know it means a lot to her. It's part of the reason she told me almost right away that she is gay. She didn't want to lead me on or taint our past by her lying who she is or faking it for me.
We talked about staying together briefly but in the end we know it wouldn't be fair to either of us, if we want to find happiness in this life.
We both imagine us friends and getting along with each others partners, and co-parenting our boys. I just don't know how to get there.
I am happy for her finding what she felt has been missing for her whole life. Of course at the same time, the cost of this is our marriage, and me.

September 6, 2023 5:02 pm  #5

Hey Corey!
I will tell you how my experience affected me. I considered my relationship perfect, my partner was my best friend.
In the first few months after the breakup I was sure we will be best friends for life, and I truly wanted that. But that was also a part of me not wanting to lose him.
I really love and also like him as a person. But when the relationship ends, that is when you can really see what the main connecting points between you and your partner are or were. I don’t miss sex with him, I don’t care that my life is more insecure financially… what I miss is the small stuff, the talks, and his joy (he is a joyful man). It was beautiful to live with a joyful person.
At the moment I am trying to have as little contact as possible, because I need to learn to exist without him. Each time I see him, I have the feeling that I have to start the process of letting him go from the beginning. He is careful in the way he communicates with me because he is afraid to even hurt me more. So, we can’t fully be ourselves with each other. I guess when enough time has passed we will see what is left between us, not as partners but as two humans.
I don’t like to give advice, but as support I will offer you what I think is important for  you and that is- dare to feel all your feelings, and don’t forget that you are a whole person and can be happy without her. You can.

September 6, 2023 5:05 pm  #6

Hi Corey,

Glad to hear the decision is already made to separate, and that she is not continuing to hide her gayness.

A note of warning - she may change her mind if things don't go well with her girlfriend (yes it seems to me inevitable she already has a girlfriend because she is talking separation and being happy).

I think it is achievable to get to a civilised co-parenting once you are settled into your new lives but I hear you when you say you don't know how to get there.

Like it or not, with or without a girlfriend waiting in the wings, there is a romantic betrayal here - so that is a wedge in transforming into a friendship straightaway.  You need space to feel the way you do, it hurts like hell.  

There is an old saying about divorce which entirely escapes me right now but the meaning is wait til after the divorce, then you can decide if you want to be friends or not.

First you have to go through the process of not being her husband any more, of separating your lives as a married couple and it's sort of like where the rubber meets the road - that's where you will get the measure of the person you married.  That quote I do remember, it's from Zsa Zsa Gabor who got married a number of times - Darling, you don't know the man you married until you divorce him. 

You are her friend, essentially I can tell that from your post - you are a supportive friendly good quality person and now let's find out if the same is true of her.

It's years now I have been reading the stories here.  So often we feel we have these very best friend relationships and I was no exception but now I am on the other side of divorce and plenty of room in the rear view mirror I see my ex wasn't ever my friend like I was his - he's a bit of a grifter really, he didn't ever have my best interests at heart.

September 6, 2023 7:52 pm  #7

Hi Corey,

I know someone who is best friends with her gay ex. Amicable separation, etc. I don't think there was infidelity before the ex came out, which does help things. 

I wanted to stay friends throughout the separation, but I discovered that I need to separate emotionally first, and then see what's up. It's friendly, but we're not friends yet, because it's sad and difficult to end a marriage. And the separation brings stuff up. There's a lot to process before a real friendship can bloom, and maybe it can't. Time will tell. 

This is going to hurt no matter what. Do take care of yourself, and widen your circle of support as much as you can. It will really help. Also, actions speak louder than words. Let her actions do the talking. 

Good luck, and keep posting,

Anon 765

September 7, 2023 10:08 am  #8

Thank you everyone for the replies and stories, I appreciate it all.

Me and my Ex talked more last, and we both understand it's going to be hard to be friends, and harder for me then her. But we do have awesome communication tha5 we developed over our years married to each other, and with proper boundaries in place and honest conversations we believe we can do this.

With the housing crisis where I live, our kids, and the fact that we both don't want to lose each other in our lives, we are determined to make this happen.

I have to remain positive even though this hurts like hell, and the thought of us not together, hurts.

We do plan on doing some counciling together, as well we have both been going to our own therapists.
I have to have faith, that all this was meant for something. That it will be good in the end. That I can be happy and so can she.

Thanks again everyone, much love.

September 7, 2023 1:20 pm  #9

Negative here.  I wouldn't be friends with my ex-wife because I believe a friend should have treated me far better than what she did to me.  

Setting that aside, the goal isn't necessarily to be friends.  The goal is to be merely "friendly", particularly when you still have to conduct the business of raising kiddos.  

September 7, 2023 3:56 pm  #10

ellierigg wrote:

I don’t like to give advice, but as support I will offer you what I think is important for you and that is- dare to feel all your feelings, and don’t forget that you are a whole person and can be happy without her. You can.

Ellie - What beautiful advice to don't forget you are a whole person and fail to think about your needs and desires! It's not selfish or self-preservation! It's human! 

Board footera