OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 16, 2023 5:57 pm  #1

Day 4– From the deepest closeness to the deepest despair

My husband of 18 years is transgender.

This is something I learned of just 4 days ago. The rolling out of this has been rocky, to say the least.

While I am in a million pieces— I’ve tried to stay calm, be respectful, and just try to understand— to the best of my ability. We have two children together, so my focus has been on them. And my husband. Above myself. As fucked up as that is to admit.

We (my husband and I) have had intense moments of closeness. I’ve gotten the version of him that I’ve missed for years. It was seemingly all at once a very difficult situation— but one we could conquer together.

Now on day 4– he’s pissed. He feels like I outed him because I sort of had to. (I found women’s underwear in his drawer.) Now it’s all about how I stole his right to come out. His right to tell his own story. His right to dictate who knew what and when. He even stated today that he will tell our kids however he wants— whenever he wants— and I don’t get to be present. He’s also lashed out at friends via text that he had previously disclosed to. He feels like no one has responded correctly because some of us had shock, hurt, and HUMAN reactions.

Suddenly, I now know we are headed for divorce. I now know that I can do nothing right. Suddenly, I’m going to be homeless and out on my ass because I’ve been a stay at home mom. I have no monetary resources. But most of all— suddenly I’ve lost the one person who was the reason for all of this. Even after all the compassion I’ve tried to extend.

I was told that I was not allowed to have the reactions I already had.

And now I’m a terrible partner/wife.

I would not wish this hell on anyone.

June 16, 2023 6:47 pm  #2

Re: Day 4– From the deepest closeness to the deepest despair

You do not deserve this treatment from anyone.

Do you have any close friends or family that you can talk to ? Even though they cannot do much about your situation, they might be able to help you glue some of your pieces back together.

Don't accept that you are entitled to nothing. You are allowed to feel and to grieve.
I also expect that you have a legal claim to more than the door. For that you need legal advice.
Work at your own speed, but quietly figure out what your options are.
I'm sure others here will also have great advice.
Remember that you matter.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

June 16, 2023 10:06 pm  #3

I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to respond to me. Thank you.

I do have friends to reach out to. And I have. With the permission of my partner. But now, as I alluded to, my partner has basically rescinded all of that by, as I see it, by lashing out, at them. Unbeknownst to me— until now.

I am aware that I need legal help. I just don’t know how to financially do this at the moment. But that can be figured out.

The emotional whiplash of this is definitely the worst part. Death by a gozillion cuts.

So I appreciate you, internet stranger. Thank you for taking the time to respond. It’s a bouy in this storm.

June 16, 2023 11:35 pm  #4

Please know you are not alone. There are so many of us chin deep in what we fondly refer to as the "mind fuck". 

Married 20 years over here and had my husband atom bomb my life by sitting down beside me and saying "I'm gay, I'm divorcing you" and then just abandoning me. It took about 6 months just to pick myself up off the floor.

I had this vision of it being amicable, that we would come to a consensus, consider both of us, and set it up so we could remain somewhat in each other's lives. I started with this vision of a man who loved me, didn't want to hurt me, and had just figured this all out and wanted to do this in a way that would make it as easy for both of us as possible.

I didn't expect to find out I was married to a complete stranger with an anger problem. Someone who would expect and demand that I clean up all of his messes, with a smile on my face no less. That I was to support his whole new life and just happily work two jobs to pay for all the bills that he was legally required to pay 50% of. That I was supposed to just sit back and have him go through the whole divorce process without my involvement and all I would have to do is sign the papers.

Instead I paid an obscene amount of money to retain a lawyer and do the long, tedious, contentious, awful process of divorcing with all the meticulous steps signed off.....because I don't trust him enough to even remotely consider me in the process. 

I find it sad that I now have a fundamental distrust of people. And if anyone says anything nice to me I struggle with it....because I'm waiting for the veiled insults, the cutting comments, to be told how wrong I am, to deal with the toddler style temper tantrums, and to be told that google outweighs what my lawyer says so he doesn't have to pay for anything.

I am more tired than I have ever been in my life. I'm pretty sure stress has aged me about 20 years. I am a shell of who I once was. But I will get up, and go on to another day, and see what life has to offer.

The forum is great for when you just need to talk to someone who "gets it". And many here can provide insight and advice around this process. There are also a lot of empathetic ears to listen.

June 17, 2023 3:44 am  #5

may.b wrote:

... I do have friends to reach out to. And I have. With the permission of my partner....

May....I know it probably feels like you should be mindful and respectful of your husband but you shouldn't have to get permission to talk about something that's happening in your life.. happening to you.

By all means choose those you confide in well but don't allow him to be in charge of this experience. He will run you into the ground.

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

June 17, 2023 8:23 am  #6

may.be,

Welcome..  

No i dont think you will be homeless.     You will need to get a job but I think that will be better than what you described; a hurtful husband..   it is really abuse as I learned regardless of whether they physically hit us or not.

No, tell who you want and build your support system.     I'm years out and so much better to get away from a controlling wife who isolated me from family and friends...  

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

June 17, 2023 2:11 pm  #7

Anon2222 wrote:

Please know you are not alone. There are so many of us chin deep in what we fondly refer to as the "mind fuck". 

Married 20 years over here and had my husband atom bomb my life by sitting down beside me and saying "I'm gay, I'm divorcing you" and then just abandoning me. It took about 6 months just to pick myself up off the floor.

I had this vision of it being amicable, that we would come to a consensus, consider both of us, and set it up so we could remain somewhat in each other's lives. I started with this vision of a man who loved me, didn't want to hurt me, and had just figured this all out and wanted to do this in a way that would make it as easy for both of us as possible. I am more tired than I have ever been in my life. I'm pretty sure stress has aged me about 20 years. I am a shell of who I once was. But I will get up, and go on to another day, and see what life has to offer.

The forum is great for when you just need to talk to someone who "gets it". And many here can provide insight and advice around this process. There are also a lot of empathetic ears to listen.

WOW do I relate to you on so many levels. I really appreciate your long response. I just appreciate you taking the time.

I, too, also feel so bone tired. So aged. So left behind.

Like you (and it’s only day 5 for me), we had originally spoken in ways that indicated we were doing this together. We were closer than we have ever been. We vowed to do what’s right for our little family.

And now? Every bit of that has been taken away. I’ve tried to ride out the massive angry outbursts and the highest highs. But it’s really taking a toll on me. And it seems that no matter what I do— his experience wins.

Because my husband contemplated suicide at a few points during this journey (I’ve just learned)— everything is life or death. No gray area. No allowance for the in between. If he doesn’t transition— he will die. That’s a huge load to carry— because this is the father of my children, after all. I’d never want them to lose their dad. My priority right now is just showing up for my kids. The best way I know to. (They have yet to learn this news— FYI)

All this to say that I appreciate this community in helping me feel less alone. At times I feel completely isolated and left behind. So kind words and your shared experience is very valuable to me. I’m sorry this ever happened to you.

June 17, 2023 2:16 pm  #8

Ellexoh_nz wrote:

may.b wrote:

... I do have friends to reach out to. And I have. With the permission of my partner....

May....I know it probably feels like you should be mindful and respectful of your husband but you shouldn't have to get permission to talk about something that's happening in your life.. happening to you.

By all means choose those you confide in well but don't allow him to be in charge of this experience. He will run you into the ground.

Elle

Thank you for your informative response. It means more than I could ever say.

I needed to hear your words because I have really gotten lost in this. I am trying to hold it together for my kids. And my family as a whole. And the trans experience is topping all other things right now.

But I have experienced this, too. I’ve wanted to scream that. In fact, I have. But I recently found out that my husband has been suicidal over this at times— so now everything feels like life or death.

One of the most isolating loads I have ever been asked to bear.

Thank you for the reminder about being run into the ground. I need all the foresight I can get.

June 17, 2023 2:25 pm  #9

Rob wrote:

may.be,

Welcome..  

No i dont think you will be homeless.     You will need to get a job but I think that will be better than what you described; a hurtful husband..   it is really abuse as I learned regardless of whether they physically hit us or not.

No, tell who you want and build your support system.     I'm years out and so much better to get away from a controlling wife who isolated me from family and friends...  

As a stay at home mom— I guess I just/am really fearful of the financial end of things. I have zero issue getting a job— but I never thought this would be the reason. I thought we had been making plans together— that would never put me in this situation. We agreed that my staying home was the best choice for our family. Now that has all been flipped on its head— like everything else.

But in that decision I thought we made together— that did include me not advancing in any career for years. And now after all this has landed— I see the real “shit sandwich” that is those sacrifices I thought we were making together? Were, in fact, not made together.

I understand that I have work to do around these feelings. But damn if it isn’t ever hurtful.

June 17, 2023 2:57 pm  #10

may.b wrote:

........But I recently found out that my husband has been suicidal over this at times— so now everything feels like life or death.......

My partner of (then) 32 years sent me an email confessing a desire to one day be fucked by a man.....but also said "if anybody else reads this I'll die" 
I would put your husbands suicidal thoughts/attempts/threats in the same basket. These are adult men, trying to keep the secret of who they really are from others and using the person they think should have their back as an emotional punching bag. 
My initial thoughts when I read "if anybody reads this I'll die" was to go into my caring, supportive almost-maternal mode and reassure him that nobody else would read it. But if you, as I did, look at what he is doing and saying as using you to hide behind so he doesn't have to face what's happening...you'll start to realise the unfairness of the burden he's expecting you to carry. Your husband is a grown man, stop allowing him to lean on you. 
You can still be supportive but put your own oxygen mask on first before you help him because it doesn't sound like he'd do it for you and frankly...as a straightspouse.....you are the one who needs the strength to save yourself

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera