OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 18, 2023 9:29 pm  #21

Re: admins censoring content

I'm sorry Sam.   I know you have been through your times as well.   It's just that ever since Our Path became the name of this group,  It just appears that the concern has been appearing politically correct to the outside world and not us the Straight Spouses.   It appears that even Our Path  views the Straight Spouse appears to be a byproduct of the society correcting a great wrong and we just have to bite our lips and put up with it.   People should not be censored for what they say about gays and transgenders on this site have you ever thought this is the only place some victims of betrayal by there spouses have to go to express their true feelings. 

------------------------------                              
previously Itsabouther

May 18, 2023 10:07 pm  #22

I can remember when The Straightspouse Network's name was changed and members were rightly cautious and concerned this would change the site. One of the Admin people, who used to be a Forum member (her name has slipped my mind) replied to a comment of mine with the explanation that because the lgbtq community had 'taken' and was using the word "straight" in their rhetoric it had been decided to change the name.
I thought it was odd then...but now I just see it as bowing down to a bigger, ever-growing entity instead of standing up to the entitlement. And now they want to be women too. 
What's next?....I hate to think

E

KIA KAHA                       

May 19, 2023 8:40 am  #23

Charting My Path wrote:

The gay and trans lifestyles should not be supported 

I'm going to give this one more try ...
The Mission of SSN and now OurPath is to:

• REACHING OUT to increase visibility of Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People and their access to support.
  • HEALING to empower Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People to find their own path post-discovery or disclosure and to cope constructively.
  • BUILDING BRIDGES between spouses, within families, with LGBT+ organizations and the larger community through support, education and advocacy.

Why do you think we wanted to build bridges for the past 30+ years? Why do you think our founder Amity frequently reminds us to reach out. Our Founder and Board understand the only way we can help the generations behind us avoid our pain, suffering, STDs, and financial hardship is to seek to eliminate the closets and remove barriers our gay and lesbian ex's used to avoid their truths. As the Admin said,  "My late ex married me because she wanted a sperm donor and a breadwinner. No way [do] I have any sympathy for her or anyone else who does that." But, if we do not reach out to younger generations through support, education and advocacy, we are dooming the next generations -- our kids and grands kids to suffer our same fate. By understand all the facts and trigger, we are better able to provide the support our Straights need and at the same time seek to open the closets and remove the barriers.
Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world - Mandela 

May 19, 2023 12:00 pm  #24

I just want to chime in here.  The issue isn't "gays and transgenders" per se.  The issue is the pain, hurt, and atomic bomb dumped on us by profoundly dishonest people with profound personality defects...who happen to be LGBT+.  As such, generalized bashing of the LGBT+ community cannot be tolerated -- it's THE reason that most of us ended up in this godawful situation.  Supporting straight partners while supporting the LGBT+ community is not only possible, but also a critical part of the solution.

May 19, 2023 12:02 pm  #25

Your OurPath Mission statement is not the same as it was with SSN.  SSN was ALL about reaching out to the straight spouse.  

I also remember the conversation with particularly OOHC objecting to the use of the term Partners of Trans People, as if they aren't straight spouses.  

There is nowhere else in the public domain for straight spouses and I can only imagine what the founding members of the Straight Spouse Network were feeling when OurPath took the name off the banner.  How was that supposed to increase the visibility of straight spouses?  The healing part of the mission statement is good.  But the reaching out and building bridges bits need some work, imo.

I haven't yet come across a straight spouse who isn't gay friendly.  

But during the time of discovery it is all very personal.  The way it feels to me is we need protection - a straight friendly place when it comes time to process this.

My ex loves his closet.

Last edited by lily (May 19, 2023 12:07 pm)

May 19, 2023 1:42 pm  #26

Just to put a counterpoint to this ongoing argument....because I'm actually kind of tired of it. My husband has a supportive, loving family. No religion. No bullying. Had a great childhood. Brother came out ages ago and has a poly marriage thing. Since he has come out, not a single person in his entire family hasn't welcomed him with open arms. I actually find it quite astounding the love and support he has received....and just how demonized I have become.

So, what's his excuse? He married a straight woman for 20 years. And he still says he had to use me because he didn't know how to talk about it (like...how much more support do you honestly need??? It's literally the in thing of the decade...and you STILL can't deal with it).

Violence, conversion therapy, all that jazz should not happen and was never acceptable, and never should be. But, at this point in time, do we really have to build bridges and support the LGBTQ community?

A gay man has taken absolutely everything I have in my life. And you bet I am sensitive to the whole thing being shoved in my face. Hell, getting in trouble at work and called homophobic because I didn't want a giant rainbow flag on my desk.....Like, I have a visceral reaction to stupid rainbows now! I am so traumatized that a rainbow flag will actually lead me to hyperventilate and get sick.

I can see how some straight spouses can look at the past era as preventing their spouses from coming out...but, personally, I don't see it. There are plenty of LGBTQ individuals who decided to live with a "roommate" or not marry and live their lives without hurting anyone. I'm happy to support equality and equity for all of these people. The ones screaming in my face, parading around in buttless chaps and making absolutely everything sexualized....no, I have no desire to support in any way. We are going insane on the other end of the spectrum.

May 19, 2023 2:31 pm  #27

It's obvious this is a case of a whole lot of Davids and Dianas against the Goliath of OurPath.

I believe OurPath will continue letting the LGBTQ community in, absorbing and negating even the straightspouse forum....at the expense of the people they state they're here to help

E

KIA KAHA                       

May 19, 2023 2:46 pm  #28

This has actually raised a question for me....as I have only ever used the forum (which has ended up being a great help/support to hear others going through their spousal disclosures). But, is this actually the prevailing belief - that if we just support the LGBTQ community enough and mainstream it....that this won't happen again? Is there any science to support this theory?

I genuinely want to know. Because it seriously couldn't have been any easier for my ex to prance out of the closet. All these stories about abuse, religious strangle holds, family judgement....he had nothing. Completely supportive family, life, background etc to be whoever he wanted to be. It seems no one was even that surprised when he came out (which would have been nice to know if any of his family actually thought this....why didn't anyone tell me). I was just the complete moron who was the last to know apparently. 

So, why did he use me? That's what I don't get. What was the point? And why did he have to be so cruel about it? That's also what I don't get....is so many of these spouses become such selfish, cruel people. It's like, not only did you end the marriage you went out of your way to decimate your straight spouse's life.

I feel like there's a hell of a lot more going on here than just providing support to the community. So I really want to know, what's backing up this belief?

May 19, 2023 8:37 pm  #29

Well exactly, Anon.  I don't know if it is a prevailing belief in general but for sure there's a lot of people who believe the LGTetc have been driven into the closet by social pressure and will come out given half a chance.

It's not true, we know it, my ex is the same as his father, he loves his closet.  

IMO, the closet is bred into the weft and warp of us by now - it involves people who are used to hiding their true identity, it's a way of life for them, and I imagine it started in wanting to hide their gayness from potential marriage partners.

I think the 'lot more going on' is dysphoria and envy.

I do think same sex oriented people are a lot happier once settled in a gay marriage but it is pie in the sky to think  trying to break down the closet will achieve that.  

The concern I have is that breaking down the closet turns into protecting the closet by morphing it into the fake belief that a straight can marry a non-straight and everything will be fine.

When it comes to what happens in the future why not look at supporting straights in looking for another straight?

Last edited by lily (May 19, 2023 8:41 pm)

May 20, 2023 12:57 am  #30

I appreciate the existence of this forum. It's helped me heal from a violent monster who used me as his personal money tree and whipping post. Why he didn't partner up with a man is beyond me. 

I am all for those who are LGBTQ   🏳️‍🌈❤️.   It's wrong to be against people who haven't hurt anyone and have not been your partner. 

I find it analogous to a prejudice I faced when I was the only one given an intelligence test to enter parochial school. I am assuming it was because my parents were immigrants. I can't change myself and it's scary to know someone was hateful towards six year old me.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

Board footera