OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 4, 2023 12:48 am  #11

Re: This is so messed up

Firefly,

Yeah I stopped having conversation with the "crazy"..   Its like an alternate reality.    I think in one of our conversations/arguments or in her emails I got the gist that she thought I should have known.   No... we were all in and gave true fierce love.   We are unlike them...they gave fake? transient? unauthentic? fleeting? love ...  I also was blamed for her gay affair....its deflection and all untrue...this we know in our bones.    Best to get far away and do not engage.. no contact.. minimal if needed.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

March 4, 2023 10:27 am  #12

I'm so sorry Firefly. That might be the worst part, being gaslighted about everything. 

Let's state the obvious. You had NO reason to question his sexuality. Maybe there were warnings, who knows? You're NOT SUPPOSED to be looking for something like that. It's reasonable and normal to assume that someone who is jointly entering a romantic relationship is qualified to do so. If he was gay or whatever, he wasn't qualified to enter a romantic relationship with a woman. Period. End of story.

Whatever your reaction was to this news, it's reasonable, normal and makes complete sense. Were you angry and outraged? Normal. Hurt and scared? Normal. Did you want to stay? Normal. Want to run as fast as you could? Normal. Have a psychotic break, withdraw into depression, try to stay friends and be supportive, want to punch and kick anything that moves including him? All normal. 

It's not easy but it really is best if you can create distance. I moved out Wednesday. I've not slept much, I've been working on buying new furniture and putting everything away for an entire house, and my oldest daughter asked to move in with me for a few months last night so we moved her in too. And with all that, the hardest part has been communicating with my LW at times. Not always, but she's honestly very self-focused right now and only talks about her experience. Zero empathy.

March 4, 2023 1:25 pm  #13

Anon,
 About that "it is literally ruining me."  Perhaps you're talking about financial ruin, and no doubt it sounds as if he's running you into the ground there.  But if you're talking about the psychological, then I wonder if I technique I used might help.  When I first left him, I used to describe what I felt as "broken."  He broke me; he crushed me, he ruined my life, I'm like a young pine so weighed down by snow I'm not sure I'll ever stand tall again.  Then I realized that my saying I was "broken" and he'd "ruined my life" were self-reinforcing ways to think about my pain.  How was I ever going to get better if I described myself as "broken" or "ruined" or "damaged irreparably"?  So I used a technique from cognitive behavioral therapy to reframe and rename: instead of thinking I was damaged irreparably, I thought of him and what he was as "a blight on my life."  I thought about the sycamore tree, which gets infected with anthracnose, which distorts the branches, and may contribute to a leaf drop condition that makes the tree leaf out twice each season, but it doesn't kill the tree.  Once I reframed and renamed what he did to me away from utter ruin to something that I could either live with or recover from, I was able to start focusing on recovery, and remember that every little, tiny baby step of action I took to care for myself helped me feel better and more in charge of recovery.  I'm not claiming this is a magic technique. But it helped me when I was struggling.

March 4, 2023 2:35 pm  #14

Thank you so much OOHC. 

I didn't realize just how low I had gotten this week, and I appreciate this group for the advice and tips. I didn't realize just how much him going on the vacation got to me. It was like a whole other trauma experience. This morning I picked myself up and went for my early morning workout. I feel a bit better. I am also working on CBT with my therapist and reframing., it actually is a very helpful technique. I was doing pretty well there until this set back. But I guess I have to accept there are going to be many more lows in the process as I work through everything. 

I hate the unfairness of it all. That my life is going to crash and burn from a situation I had no say in. It's hard not to feel sorry for myself and angry. But....one step at a time. Thank you for the continued support.

March 5, 2023 12:55 am  #15

I wish I had advice. I don't. That's why I've been here for nearly two years. My LW of 26 years is divorcing me. She may well care about how that hurts me & our boys, but that's not stopping her. I'm screwed from an emotional, physical, & a financial point of view. This is my reality. I pray it's not yours, too. I miss the spouse I once had. The one I fell in love with 3 decades ago. I miss sex. Maybe she faked it, but I didn't. I was honest. You were honest. They were not. But we're left holding the bag. It's up to us how we move forward. In the "Shawshank Redemption," there's a line Andy Dufresne asserts that resonates with me now: "Get busy living, or get busy dying." That's our decision now. I choose the former.

March 5, 2023 1:56 am  #16

SameDeepWaterAsPhil wrote:

It's up to us how we move forward. In the "Shawshank Redemption," there's a line Andy Dufresne asserts that resonates with me now: "Get busy living, or get busy dying." That's our decision now. I choose the former.

It's a decision people who've been through extreme trauma have to make to heal.   Accept the loss and move on - slowly and painfully. That really good advice, Phil.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

March 5, 2023 3:50 pm  #17

Hi Firefly:  I’m sorry you are here, but I offer my perspective four years after discovering my ex-wife was having an affair with the mother of one of our daughter’s friends.

As for your “faults”, you have only one. You are a straight woman who was conned into marrying a gay dude. You couldn’t make him happy because you showed up to a bowling alley with a golf club. In other words, he can stuff it when discussing your “faults”.

As for the circular crazy conversations?  I’m convinced that our in-denial partners almost always have profound psychological disorders. There’s no way that a normally wired person would do this to a straight partner. So having a conversation about consequences with a fundamentally miswired person just isn’t going to go well. Cut your losses on these discussions and preserve your healthy headspace.

Good luck. I’m so much happier on the other side of this. It’s a tough journey, but worth getting past it.

Last edited by Blue Bear (March 5, 2023 3:51 pm)

March 5, 2023 4:54 pm  #18

yes, agree with MJ, that's really good 'no advice' advice, Phil.  I applaud the way you are just full on facing up to it.  You too Blue Bear, glad to hear you are going good.

I dunno, it's not pretty but I guess I think it helps when you see it.

At the moment I seem to be rafting through some deep down feelings around sex that are to do with the past.  It's not just the sex we didn't have, it's the sex we did have.  I don't remember recognising it at the time, I still bonded with him, but underneath it all, subconsciously I was distressed at the sense I had of his distaste for me touching him.  It is good to have that feeling released and the awful distress I was unable to voice at the time acknowledged, it's cleansing somehow.

Last edited by lily (March 5, 2023 5:00 pm)

March 5, 2023 7:44 pm  #19

Hi all,
Oh my gosh!  I am overwhelmed by your encouragement, advice, and support.  I need to read through them again.  and again.  and again. 

I relate with all of your stories, pain, and thoughts.  It is so hard to see the other side of this, and my thoughts at night are the hardest to keep from spinning out of control.  How do I make sense of over 20 years together?  You are all right; these conversations with him are not helpful.

The other day I caught my reflection in the mirror, and my first thought was, "hey! I am not ugly."

I am not ugly. 

There is something so wrong in a marriage when one partner is treated in such a way that they believe they are ugly.

I didn't realize that this is what I subconsciously believed about myself.  So much healing needs to be done.

I am afraid of the journey ahead of me, but I feel so much better knowing that I have support and understanding here.  Thank you.

March 5, 2023 8:17 pm  #20

firefly wrote:

The other day I caught my reflection in the mirror, and my first thought was, "hey! I am not ugly."

I am not ugly. 

I've never met you and I'm not hitting on you, no reason to. I can just tell, you are not an ugly person. You are someone who has been through an abusive situation and had your confidence shaken, like all of us here. 23 years for me, over the first several months, I cried more than my previous 43 years of life combined. She still tries to get at me, still trying to hurt me financially and otherwise, but I am at a place now where it doesnt really matter. I an completely indifferent to her life. You will get there. It will be painful, but each low stays for a shorter period of time, the highs get higher. You will make it! 

Board footera