OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 7, 2023 5:36 pm  #71

Re: 2022 was a fucked-up year

Ellexoh_nz wrote:

Thank you all. I don't know where I'd be without this Forum

He looked at me when I said "I've been to a lawyer. I want to separate" and said "I thought this is a conversation you and I would have" as my son sat looking awkward. My son said "I know you've been having problems" then looked at me "and you've confided in me too" Which would have come as a shock to his father. 
It's not all 'out on the table' yet. I still have 2 of my children to tell, which I'll do today. 
I  feel numb. Like I've walked through a door and found myself in a place that's foreign to me. The one thing that I keep hearing in my head is "you can't go back now"

E

Yeah, it is foreign and weird feeling, but good job, you got the hardest step out of the way! It isn't easy, but so much better. 

February 7, 2023 8:07 pm  #72

I just looked up the meaning of your tag line, Elle.
Kia Kaha, indeed!
To help reestablish your sense of personal security, try repeating the following affirmations often OR  write them on your morning mirror with soap, where you see them upon awakening:

I am grounded.
I trust in myself.
I trust in others.
I am safe and secure.
I have exactly what I need.
I am exactly where I am meant to be.
I am strong.
I trust in my body’s ability to heal me.
I am supported.

We are here for you. Lean on us. Kia Kaha.

February 8, 2023 1:02 pm  #73

W10J wrote:

....Yeah, it is foreign and weird feeling, but good job, you got the hardest step out of the way! It isn't easy, but so much better. 

Numb. I'm still numb but that is to my benefit because it stops me from thinking I've made the wrong move.

You know Forum...my partner hasn't said one single word about this. How fucked up is that! It's like he had to acknowledge it when our son was in the room but since then nothing. I told my daughter yesterday and she was here when he came home from work. Nothing was said by either re the elephant in the room. My sister said "people don't like hearing bad things about people they love" So true!
I'm on holiday (by myself) in 2 days and I'll leave him with some info on Collaborative or Combative ways to handle this. But once again....it's me doing all the talking, me doing all the emotional work on this.

He'll be thinking heaps, maybe reading up on stuff but not talking to anybody. Fuck!!!

E

KIA KAHA                       

February 8, 2023 1:04 pm  #74

Toward the Light wrote:

I just looked up the meaning of your tag line, Elle. Kia Kaha, indeed!...

That is so cool you did that

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

February 8, 2023 4:13 pm  #75

Elle,

Hang in there...  He is , this you know,  thinking, processing, plotting..   He probably has no words or lies he can think of yet    I would just stay the course...stick to all your routines.. keep things as normal and the same as possible   ...at least that was what I did..  I was kind as I always had been.    it was a "dont provoke or poke the bear" strategy but also routines kept me grounded  giving some sense of control of my life.       

Know that once you officially file in the courts (at least where I am) there has to be an end..

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

February 8, 2023 8:56 pm  #76

Rob wrote:

.....Hang in there... 

Cheers Rob. Good advice

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

February 9, 2023 7:35 am  #77

Elle - I agree with Rob. Stay the course and continue with what you want. Everyone is going to process the news differently. Do you think leaving the information on Collaborative or Combative ways will poke the bear?  You know your partner better than us, but is he going to look at the information as helpful? My GID husband was officially served with our Marital Settlement Agreement (MSA) a week ago. It's been difficult for both of us and a little more hostility than usual that we both are trying to manage. But he hasn't said much about the MSA and I'm no longer asking. I figure I'll have my Attorney take care of the follow-up if he hasn't responded by next Friday.  I'll give him space to process the information. 

February 9, 2023 12:40 pm  #78

gwendolyn_C wrote:

Elle - I agree with Rob. Stay the course and continue with what you want. Everyone is going to process the news differently. Do you think leaving the information on Collaborative or Combative ways will poke the bear?  You know your partner better than us, but is he going to look at the information as helpful? My GID husband was officially served with our Marital Settlement Agreement (MSA) a week ago. It's been difficult for both of us and a little more hostility than usual that we both are trying to manage. But he hasn't said much about the MSA and I'm no longer asking. I figure I'll have my Attorney take care of the follow-up if he hasn't responded by next Friday.  I'll give him space to process the information. 

I keep telling myself to do exactly that....stay the course. Turning back now is not an option  
I go on holiday tomorrow for a week (alone) and I'll leave the info my lawyer gave me for him to read and to be honest ...the only way I could poke this bear would be to get in-his-face angry and I decided 3 years ago that I would no longer allow myself to get angry/be emotional with/at him. My mental health is more important. 
And anyway he keeps his emotions stuffed down usually. 

I'm so pleased all my children know about this and are supportive. 
Sending you good vibes and calmness in your home Gwendolyn

E

KIA KAHA                       

February 9, 2023 2:40 pm  #79

E - I'm so happy for you! I know that's a good feeling to finally have the conversation! You only get one life and YOU are not going back! Celebrate the steps you have made while you are on holiday! Enjoy! 

February 9, 2023 8:47 pm  #80

[Elle wrote: I'm so pleased all my children know about this and are supportive.]

What a relief! Deep breaths during your whole vacation. Do lots of self care!  Take extra, good care of yourself (no one else will.) Restore, rejuvenate, recreate. Rebuild that inner strength you are tapping into.  Thinking of you and sending you lovingkindness—May Elle be free from suffering. May Elle be at peace. May Elle be held  in the Light. Enjoy your time alone. I bet you are great company to yourself. XO

Board footera