OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 1, 2022 7:16 pm  #1

Dating after My Ex

I'm 6 months out from leaving my spouse of 13 years (who came out to me as MTF trans about 4 months before that). It was a massive shock. Made more complicated by my ex's desire for us to stay together (they see themselves as a lesbian, so their attraction for me was not an issue). That 4 months before the split, I was numb. Unable to really accept it. Wishing I would wake up. But the reality that I'm a heterosexual woman made it impossible for us to work when they started HRT. And so I left, got my own apartment, and filed for divorce last month. 

I've been doing OK in the aftermath. And by OK I mean that it's been a fucking RIDE. Honestly Im just proud of myself for surviving. But now I'm kind of stuck in the eat, sleep, work, cry in the shower, and repeat spin cycle  of whatever the fuck I'm going through. Processing. Grieving. I hear it takes time. But can I just say that I'm also....craving being with a man? For a long time I felt totally shut down sexually. Recently, though, desire has returned and I'm starting to think about dating. But I'm scared! Really scared.

I'm so freaked out by getting close to someone again. I don't know what the red flags are for closeted Male to Female Trans people. There weren't many with my ex. Everyone I know was surprised. It seemed to come out of nowhere. And my ex, although cagey about it sometimes, has maintained that they did not know they were trans up until about 2 months before they told me -- that the pandemic somehow changed things for them and they were able to see that this was the issue. The only red flag throughout the years was that my ex struggled with depression on and off. They attribute this general sense of unhappiness to their transness, but insist it wasn't consciously known at that time. IDK. it doesn't really fucking matter. I just don't know what the hell to keep an eye out for. Cuz I'd really like to avoid this cursed situation again if I can. 

I'm  also plagued by anxiousness about how to contextualize my past relationship to outsiders. I feel like I don't have a neat little story to tell about THE DISASTER, and so I can feel myself just shutting down and possibly going into avoidance on the dating issue. 

Any folks out there with any advice or experience they'd like to share on starting to date again after one of this relationships? 

September 1, 2022 8:27 pm  #2

Re: Dating after My Ex

This is also a worry I have. My gay husband also said that he "didn't know" he was gay up until 2 weeks before he told me. He struggled with "something" for years - but would just say he felt restless or like something was missing in life. Mentioned we should travel, tried different hobbies. On and on. Then, suddenly it was just there. Like....how do you deal with that? He also had no red flags that I could tell. I had absolutely no idea. And we were together 18 years. 

I have also come to realize that I enjoy being married, and want to be married. I want to share my life with someone. But I want to share my life with someone who actually wants to be there as well!

So I've come to the conclusion that this will mean eventually getting back into the dating game. And I'm scared shitless. I also worry....am I going to be judged by men if I say my husband came out as gay? Or do I have some sort of "gay target" on me and I'll just attract them?

I don't know if you have thought about it....but I've been wondering about the idea of paying for a match maker when I'm ready to date again. I don't know if this would help or not....as I have no experience in the world of dating (gay hubby is the one and only)...but, in my mind it would theoretically weed out those who aren't serious. But I don't know, never tried one.

I would be interested to see how it went for others....cuz right now it's just too volatile...

September 1, 2022 10:09 pm  #3

After my disaster of a marriage, I had to ‘come out’ as a heterosexual.  I mean, I was always heterosexual, but it was easy to forget what heterosexual behavior was like while being gaslit by my GIDX. 

So I need to date.  It is scary because of how many ‘bi’ and ‘she/they’ women there are on dating apps.  My nightmare is to find another one of these monsters.

But I still need to express my heterosexuality.  So what choice do I have?

No easy path.

September 2, 2022 7:53 am  #4

I plan to ask my wife for a divorce next week. I have come to the conclusion that my efforts are wasted because its all one sided. That said, the idea of dating again comes with all of the fears you all mention. "your wife left you...for a woman?" I feel like I have to be honest, but fear the judgement that comes with that. 

While I am early in the process, I plan on putting myself out there and just being very transparent about where I am (hurt, angry, resentful) but still compassionate, loving and just needing a friend. Maybe I will meet some nice women. I am always the optimist. So I guess my advise is to just put yourself out there. Its been over 23 years for me since I've done that. I have no clue what I am doing. I just hope to find someone to spend quality time with. I dont need to be married, but would like someone I can trust and confide in. I deserve at least that, right? My soon to be ex-wife says I was the perfect husband in every possible way. So maybe I'm not too bad....

September 2, 2022 8:07 am  #5

Blackie463, I know that there are lots of women who would be very interested in meeting you. Keep the positive attitude.

September 2, 2022 8:25 am  #6

Can give you my take..

My GX was so uniquely cruel to me..getting back into the dating game was relative..
I basically felt even if I dated someone, got close, and they turned out to be gay and broke up with me...they could never be as cruel and evil to me as my GX.

My GX's lifelong lie with kids and a mortgage decades later was cruel and diabolical yes.  But nothing compares to how mean she was in the end.  She has some something broken in her morally..to the point of not being normal..gay or not.

I was basically sitting there one night alone and thought why not date  talk to people since I enjoy talking to people..almost all are so much more normal than my GX.

Our stories are certainly sad but they are not who we are.  When asked I said my story was sad..asked again why I divorced
I used the line from here.."we had irreconcilable similarities"..

Know that you are worth so much more than these spouses of ours said over us..worth more than anything to someone else.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

September 2, 2022 10:24 am  #7

I have tried dating a lot since my crash and burned marriage.  Here is some insight I have learned but not yet vocalized that, I hope, might help others on this path.

Telling the date:

I have tried different methods around this.  I think if you are in your 40s, 50s, 60s and trying to date, you are better off having been married and now divorced.  If you have been single all that time, you are a walking red flag.  So there is nothing wrong with having a past.  If you play your cards right, it can even help you.

WHEN you tell your story is important.  If you come out first thing and say ‘my ex was gay’, it can quickly derail the budding date.  I have found that it is better to mention that you are divorced, then wait to tell the whole story until 2nd or 3rd date or later.  But don’t wait forever because the other person is eventually wondering what is wrong with you that you are not still married.

HOW to tell your new date is also very important.  It can be a red flag if you express too much anger or too much sadness and hurt.  If you seem obsessed, it is a major red flag.  Matter-of-factness is best without placing too much judgment at first.  If you do it right, and your date is at all worthy, THEY will express the indignation that you do not. 

The trick in dating is to show the potential partner that you ARE a great person despite the past.  When it finally comes out, it is okay to mention the therapy you have done, and how relatively little grudge you hold despite the pain you obviously must carry.  A good date will recognize how brutal being lied to about your partner’s true sexuality is. 

Once you have calibrated your delivery, now is the moment to look for the red flags yourself.  HOW your new date responds to this news is crucial in understanding who they truly are.  This is the dangerous part.  Others on this forum have mentioned that this big reveal can encourage other GID types to pursue you.   Yes.  That is beyond fucked up, but it happens.  Predators like people who are already victims because they are easier prey.  Watch out. 

Similarly, if the new date seems to think that you are making a big deal out of nothing, or worse, identifies with your GIDX in any way, that is your cue to cut this potential relationship short. 

The other troublesome red flag response is nuanced but important to understand.  It  goes something like “I don’t know how anyone could ever recover from that.”  This is usually your date essentially telling you that your delivery was a red flag to them.  They make it about you.   You expressed too much anger, sadness, obsession, etc.  But if you did your reveal right, it is really a red flag on them.  They can’t see you as recoverable because deep down they think they can somehow get someone with a past who doesn’t actually have a past.  In other words, they are likely not fully aware of their own past and need for recovery.  They think that whatever happened to them was never their doing and they likely haven’t done the work to truly grow.  So they transfer their brokenness onto you and look at your pain as irrecoverable and undesirable. 

This is not easy stuff, but it can be calibrated to actually help forge a bond with your new date if you are lucky enough to find someone thoughtful, kind, empathetic and worthy.  Supposedly these people are out there, and I have not given up the hope of finding one.  I just haven’t found it yet.

Good luck!!

(Blackie, fwiw, I sense that you will find the right partner really quickly.  Something about the way you express yourself will work wonders, I think.)

September 2, 2022 11:15 am  #8

Victo wrote:

(Blackie, fwiw, I sense that you will find the right partner really quickly. Something about the way you express yourself will work wonders, I think.)

Victo - first let me thank you for very pragmatic and extremely insightful advise! I am at a pretty low place right now, but I am logical (I think) and know it will pass. Your advise gives me something to work on, which is great because my soon to be ex basically has said I was perfect. Meant to be a compliment, but is a detriment because if I was perfect and still failed, then what chance do I have?
I just wanted to thank you and your last comment. I don't know that I have smiled that big since I found out the devastating news a month ago. Thank you, to a person I've never met, I already owe you a debt. Truly grateful

September 2, 2022 12:30 pm  #9

When all this was first happening to me, I felt compelled to share every last detail with everyone.  I wasn't in the best state of mind at the time, and felt very defensive about my own role in what had "gone wrong".  And, so much of the language around our stories involves placing responsibility, somehow, on us.  So a lot of people, with the best of intentions, would say things like "I can't believe you lived with him for three decades and never suspected..." when the right thing should have been "I can't even begin to imagine how much work and energy he had to have put into a 24/7 deception for three whole decades."  

I'm not interested in dating.  Maybe someday, but this isn't the time.  But, I would suggest just starting out by saying that you are divorced, that it was a difficult time for you, and the less you dwell on it, the happier you are. 

The person you're with will be less likely to see you as either "damaged goods" or as being so obsessed with your ex that you're not prepared to give your full attention to a new relationship.  I think that's what a lot of potential partners hesitate over.

September 2, 2022 1:02 pm  #10

walkbymyself wrote:

So a lot of people, with the best of intentions, would say things like "I can't believe you lived with him for three decades and never suspected..

This isn’t just in the post reveal dating world.  People will say things like: ‘did you turn him/her/them gay/trans?’ (!!!)

As though you could possibly have the power to make a man want to cut off his own penis!!!!

A lot of people are soo uncomfortable with the very topic that their only instinct is to make it about you and what you did wrong.

But the only ‘wrong’ thing you ever did in this scenario was to be loving and trusting.

Focus on that above all else.  You are capable of being loving and trusting and THAT is a positive that almost anyone else can appreciate, just not our GIDXs.

Board footera