OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 20, 2021 11:39 pm  #1

Truth

My first relationship since my divorce has failed.  I feel as if my world is collapsing all over again.  I choose to fight back against the lies that are filling my head.  

Lies: I am alone.  Alone inside my body.  Alone in my mind.  Alone in my suffering.  Alone in this city.  
Truth:  There ARE  people that love me.  My kids love me. My family loves me.  I have a couple of friends that love me.  My coworkers care for me.

Lies: My life has turned out to be a complete and total disappointment.
Truth: My life has not turned out to be what I wanted or envisioned as a young person.  But, I am young enough that I can make new choices and still build a beautiful life.  I am in control of my path.  I can choose to collapse or I can choose to prevail. 

Lies:  What has happened to me is my fault because I am stupid, naive, and sick in the head.  My “picker” is broken and I will never find a deep and meaningful relationship with another person. 
Truth: I am a loving person that gives people the benefit of the doubt.  That can be a beautiful thing under the right conditions.

Lies: I will never feel better.  I will never find happiness.  I am destined for depression, loneliness, and despair.
Truth: I will feel better.  I will experience happiness.  I will live a rich and meaningful life filled with love, laughter, and hope.

Lies: I am destined to end up skinny, weak, ugly and old.
Truth:  I am beautiful. I am young. I am aging but that is beautiful.  Someone would find me desirable.  I can continue to grow toward physical health while I work toward improved mental health.

Lies: My entire world is collapsing.
Truth: The loss of one person does not mean the complete collapse of my life.  I can choose to be happy and to enjoy my life.  I will not allow myself to be destroyed. 

September 21, 2021 12:41 am  #2

Re: Truth

I went into a relationship a few months after my divorce. I got out of the rainbow but picked a snake -- again!

Am glad you are countering  false ideas with the truth. Take some time to enjoy your single status. Have fun. Something great will happen when you least expect it.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

September 21, 2021 2:09 pm  #3

Re: Truth

For years I countered all the bad stuff in my r'ship with the acceptance that my life apart from the Mindfuck was successful, happy and full. I guess I compartmentalised it all, to survive. Because when I wasn't able to get my head around it..it was easier to accept the status quo. And...

I know I'm not ugly. 
I know I'm not stupid. 
I know I deserve respect and honesty....but the last 4 years telling myself this, encouraging myself to push forward
"I will do this", digging deeper to drag out more strength....has been exhausting! Mostly because nobody knows how strong I am but me. And the Forum members

I hear you AffirmationsJ

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera