OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 6, 2021 3:20 pm  #1

A rocky road - update - we can work this out!

I posted on here back in November, found some good advice (and some less good for my situation). Gist was, my wife of 20 years came out as lesbian. She had had one experience when she was 19. It freaked her out. She tried hard to be straight. She wanted kids. She fell in love with me. She still loves me. I love her. We are best friends. But things can't stay the same. We both know that. But I'm going to support her very difficult journey every inch of the way.

So since then, I've said nothing on here. But I thought now was a good time to share a few thoughts. 

If I could say one thing though - communicate, remember what you love about each other and work out boundaries. This will give you a fighting chance.

When I came on here, that nice fella Dutchman gave me some tips. But among the things he said was that an open marriage (hate that term) is a sham marriage. From experience, I couldn't respectively disagree more. There are no rules. Marriage or any relationship can be what you want it to be. There's no pure marriage, there's no blueprint or rulebook. For us, its living together (for now), loving each other's company, doing the same stuff we always did but understanding that we are likely to find others and follow other paths. Which we are both now on in tentative ways. She is seeing a girlfriend. I too have a fledgling thing happening. We both know. We both understand. We work out ways of doing this. We discuss our feelings and work things out. 

I feel sad in many ways. But I also feel excited and empowered. We are working together to change what our relationship means so we can both be happy. I'm supporting her. But she is also supporting me. I've been trapped in her closet too. We're both now free. And it feels liberating. If certainly feels a lot better than sitting on the couch, in a loving but sexless, stale relationship, watching Netflix till we die. Bollocks to that. 

Like most of us middle aged folk on here, I've had close friends and family go through real trauma. Illness, death, redundancy and horrid stuff. This is nothing like that. Put things in perspective. Talk to each other. Go to the movies together, get a takeaway, have a laugh together. When the mood's right, discuss the heavy stuff about heart and relationships and what have you. You CAN work it out.

She didn't have any affairs on me. I'm sure of that. (I can hear some of you sniggering). But no really. She's been honest with me about her feelings. So I'm faced with a choice. Do I get angry and bitter? Or does it make me love her more, understand things better and resolve to make the best of the card we've been dealt. I just don't see the point in fighting it. Its like arguing with gravity. She's a lesbian. She's not into men. She can't give me what I need, nor me her. So there's no going back to what we had. So let's go on the journey together. And we'll make sure we find out what I want out of it along the way too. Surely a win/win outcome is worth putting the energy in, rather than rage and despair.

We've jointly told a bunch of friends about things. All of them were 100% supportive of us and took it all in their stride. Family hasn't happened yet - that's gonna be trickier. But we'll cope. 

I have no doubt that one day we'll live apart. We'll probably have new loves. But we'll always be best friends. We'll always love each other. And we'll always both be there for our kids. Those are ground rules. 

12 months time I might be back on here bitter and twisted. But I genuinely doubt it. So don't be downhearted. You can work things out. Be honest. Communicate. Understand. Cry together. Laugh together. Learn together. 

There now. I feel better for that. You might too. Who knows. See y'all again in a year.

September 6, 2021 5:16 pm  #2

Re: A rocky road - update - we can work this out!

thanks for the update Rocky - good to hear things are working out for you.  

In defence of the Dutchman, that sounds more like a plan for a long amicable split up than to stay married.  It sounds more like you are hopeful of staying like close friends.

Genuinely I wish you lots of luck and I do think it is possible in that I know of people who have returned to help their partner in old age and sickness but they have been living apart and formed new relationships and lived their own lives imbetween.

I'm not sure I know of anyone who has literally not skipped a beat in retaining a close friendship.  My concern for you is that it seems to me you are already holding a hot potato with her having hid her identity from you.  But I wish you all the best, Lily

Last edited by lily (September 6, 2021 5:19 pm)

September 7, 2021 11:54 am  #3

Marriage is the union of two people in a monogamous relationship. They remain true to each other and forsake anyone else. There is no such thing as an open marriage or a polyamorous marriage. As soon as a marriage is “opened” it is effectively over as the rules that bound, and should have been followed by each of the participants no longer apply. I am happy that you have found a degree of happiness in your new arrangement and wish you all the best for the future. The risk here is not in the satisfaction of physical needs, but in the future desire for emotional commitment that will surely come and is unavoidable as part of the human condition. I do have boundaries and the biggest one is fidelity. I have maintained that over the last twenty years, If I was to relent in some way it would make an absolute mockery of what I have held to be true.  I admire your strength in making this work. I know in my heart that I couldn’t.

4942 days…

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret. It is only with the heart that one can see clearly that which is essential is invisible to the eye.

November 21, 2021 12:16 pm  #4

Hi rockyroad - I agree that the most important part is happiness. Only you can define what that looks like. As for marriage, that is a legal construct in our society. You can be married faithful, married cheating, married open. The actions you make day after day do not define if you are married. "Sham" is open to personal interpretation. If my wife and I are good with our relationship, it is not up to anybody else to decide what is good/bad, right/wrong, real/sham. 
My wife and I have decided that our relationship is defined as being exclusive and faithful. She wants to be with me alone. I want to be just with her. She can lust after anybody she wants. So can I. We don't touch the merchandise. I agree with Ordinary_guy on that regard: we have boundaries. Neither her sexual orientation nor mine permit us to cross those boundaries. That is what we need. 
Within the limit of not having any outside relationship, we do find ways for us each to express our sexual orientation. We have to be open to that exploration. It takes trust, confidence, security. Communication is the path.

Board footera