OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 22, 2021 12:49 am  #11

Re: Marriage counseling didn't help

Hi AuroraMoon, 
I am sorry to hear what you are going through. My husband wants to go marriage counseling as well, but I feel it's a waste if you know they are not being honest on who they are and what they want. Did marriage counseling help to work through that? He is seeing someone separately but just curious if it's too premature to do the marriage counseling together... any thoughts?

July 23, 2021 2:50 pm  #12

Re: Marriage counseling didn't help

Sarah87 - I know this was addressed to AuroraMoon, but wanted to chime in: if your heart tells you that it is worth trying, then explore marriage counseling. It is never too premature. If you need outside guidance, having an objective third party can help.

But also know that advice in these spaces can get...strange. One counselor quit on us. Two agreed that my wife was a disordered serial cheater. The third ignored any issue and said we should just open the marriage. My final straw was when I found my ex visiting a hotel during the day (during the pandemic!), ex got caught in a lie about it, and the last counselor wasn't concerned, asking why I was upset. Maddening.

I would recommend if you must try all options before moving forward.

Board footera