OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 17, 2016 10:53 am  #141

Re: A gay ex-husband answers your questions

JK,

Someone is looking after you.. you must be one special person.

Sean,

I made a list like that once and was shocked..    so much hurt and abuse I put up with.    How could I have done this to myself..what self loathing person allows this...  because I loved her.. but when I looked at the list it was clear she did not love me.    I recall her saying she loved me and in  the
next breath texting her girlfriend what a jerk I was .     It was sick and warped..

My psychiatrist..aka the pill lady,  was not very empathetic  but I recall her telling me "your abused...why do you allow that?"      Like it was my fault...like I  could allow or disallow anything my ex did.    She at someone said the hell with me and the limits of the marriage ...absolute disrespect and hatred of me.

If you put a gun to my head I would not want her back.   But I would pay a million for an  "I'm sorry"... of which I'll never get.   I know her.. she will go to her grave thinking what she did was right.       I need to  live the rest of my life know I'm still a good person..I didnt lie, cheat, steal..  I gave true unconditional love.
Her actions  I did not deserve..     her inflicting them does not make what she feels or says true.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

December 17, 2016 11:10 am  #142

Jkpeace.
Hubby would answer your statement to me: "I give her everything - she wants for nothing - and I' am  going to the doctor "
That's his mantra to me for the past 15 years!!
Someone somewhere said -passion in a marraige comes out very differently for all -

That  has become very clear  to me now :
In my marraige there is Zero passion - except when we argue-
Last night it was the same story - hubby sAys to me - I can't control how often S calls me and then it turns into - you are being very rude to ask me to give up a friendship of 40 years!!!!

I'm waiting until after the holidays to see what will be - I think I'll survive without him just fine ( we have separated before) - I want my children not to be upset - they are coming to visit from out of state-

But whenever this conversation comes up - it's always he's the innocent victim and I'm the shrue!!!

Last edited by Ontheroad (December 17, 2016 11:14 am)

December 17, 2016 8:43 pm  #143

Sean,

For the very first time, I am SO ANGRY. How could I let him tear me down to this low place? How could I do that? I know better. I better get off here before I start a REALLY long rant.

Joanne

Go not quietly into that great, good night......Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

December 18, 2016 6:53 am  #144

Let's insert some reality here. Sorry, Sean. What you did isn't okay. Your choice is your choice but you duped and destroyed a straight woman's life for decades.  That's NOT okay with me. It's cruel, thoughtless and self absorbed. You are no different than the man I just threw out 9 months ago. I have no questions for you.

December 18, 2016 6:56 am  #145

jkpeace,

Your strength is obvious but past that, you see life very clearly and that's a gift

December 18, 2016 12:50 pm  #146

I could be wrong but I think Sean started this thread as a place for people who wanted to hear the other side and get their perspective could go to do so.  Those who are hurt or bothered by the gay spouse perspective can avoid the hurt by not coming here.  I also think he's made it clear that he realizes he was a dick to his former wife (to put it bluntly).  Question Sean, does your wife forgive you?  Are you amicable.  You may have already covered that but this thread is 18 pages long.  I think SSN is going to start charging you for storage space...LOL.

Vicky

December 18, 2016 1:14 pm  #147

Good day everyone. Thanks JK and Vicky for reaching out. I have absolutely no problem with people venting and perhaps getting critical or angry of me. As I've learned, anger is an integral part of the healing process. I used to comment a lot on other people's threads but, out of respect, now just post here. I couldn't help but feel that I was overstepping some virtual boundaries by posting outside of this space. That's why I named this thread, "A gay ex-husband answers your questions" so that forum members know exactly what they're getting. If you don't want to read posts from a gay ex-husband, I'd recommend you stop reading this thread.

​Turning now to the most recent comments: 

1. Judy: What you did isn't okay. Your choice is your choice but you duped and destroyed a straight woman's life for decades.  That's NOT okay with me. It's cruel, thoughtless and self absorbed. You are no different than the man I just threw out 9 months ago. I have no questions for you.

Not a bother Judy. I respect your opinion. I hope I don't come across as trying to justify my completely inacceptable behaviour. I lied, cheated, and unleashed a narcissistic tsunami on my former wife. I was a monster. By posting here, I am trying to better understand my behaviour, and change a lifetime of bad habits, via dialogue with women who have lived through something similar. I also hope that by sharing my own story this may help straight spouses better understand their gay ex-husbands.

2. Vicky: Question Sean, does your wife forgive you?  Are you amicable. 

​Yes. I truly and genuinely apologized to her during a final couples therapy session in February 2014. I wrote her a letter of apology, owned EVERYTHING, and then gave her the letter. She thanked me, hugged me, and we both cried. She said something quite beautiful: "I forgave you a long time ago. Now it's time to forgive yourself." We are amicable but she's understandably weary of me to this day. While we're friendly and polite around the kids, she acts like I'm a big scary German shepherd and she's someone who recently suffered the most brutal dog attack. Once bitten twice shy I guess after the final painful years of our marriage.

3. JK: I would like to stick up for Sean, here.  If Sean, now, is trying his very best to be a good & supportive dad (both emotionally and financially) to his children and speaks only with respect for their mother, his ex-wife...  & is now living an honest and respectful life... I believe he is doing the best that he can. Looking back doesn't help any of us.  We can't change the past, nor any of the mistakes...we can't change small mistakes or unbelievable life-altering mistakes, such as hiding being gay from a straight spouse. The only thing we can do is take each day, one day at a time, and be the best we can be.  Sean has helped me, by being on this board.  I am thankful for that.

​Thanks JK. I've learned so much from this thread and am glad to have helped others like you along the way. Again I feel nothing but love and compassion towards my ex-wife and I guess all straight spouses. Anger is such an important part of the healing process so I completely understand when straight spouses want to "virtually" strangle me. I'm in a good place these days and have healed a lot so I get it. Be well my friends and thanks again for sharing.   

Last edited by Séan (December 18, 2016 1:42 pm)

December 18, 2016 1:39 pm  #148

For the record if I was the thread starter feel free to respond to my posts.  No need to copy here.  I didn't realize you were doing that until recently so I probably missed stuff.

​I don't think my partner is a monster I think he's denied himself for a long time and he's hurt himself and me in the process.  A major problem has been I didn't put any emphasis on the hurting 'me' part until recently.  I was too worried about him.  I'm working to change that.  He's working on counselling and trying to be a better person.  I'm hopeful that will lead to him finally being honest about his sexuality.  

​Vicky

December 18, 2016 4:32 pm  #149

Noted Vicky! I don't want to make this thread about me so do any members have questions for a gay ex-husband like me? Please feel free to ask away. 

December 19, 2016 1:23 am  #150

Thanks for writing JK. In response to your message:

"I have a question for you.  I have my own theory, but I'd rather hear yours: My husband no longer lives with us, but our divorce is not final.  He is very depressed.  (He is also depressed about being unemployed; he is working very hard with networking, but has found nothing, yet). He says he misses our family being together:  him, me and the kids. OK...I'll say my theory:  I think he misses my companionship and he misses home and he misses the kids.  He feels lost.  He doesn't know who he is.  He's scared. Your input on anything slightly related would be appreciated."

Gay or straight, divorce is difficult. Unemployment is difficult. Loneliness is difficult. Coming out is difficult. But dealing with all four at the same time while feeling guilt and shame about breaking up my family really tested me. Having read through countless posts here, there seems to be a common thread. The common element appears to be extremely broken gay men who share their lives with incredibly strong, loving, caring, and supportive straight wives. While gay husbands may on the surface appear confident, indifferent, and perhaps even a bit cruel, this is simply a mask. I'm now convinced that spending so many years in the closet transformed me, a generally good-natured and mild-mannered person, into a narcissist, if not a full-blown sociopath. I look at the final years of my marriage and shudder. It was as if I had a drug addiction I did so many terrible things. 

​So what's my point? Narcissism is nothing but a mask. It's an adult stuck in toddler-like self-centredness complete with the tantrums, "ME" or "MINE" attitude, and a complete inability to think of others. But here's the rub: narcissists can't stand to be alone. We need others and demand they provide us with love and attention. Why? Because we so hate ourselves that being alone forces us to confront our inner demons. We pretend to want freedom from our straight marriages and yet we're too cowardly to actually leave. An emotionally healthy person would move on, but the gay spouse is often clinging to you for not only love and attention but also in some strange attempt to cling to his heterosexual identity.

So what do I think about your husband's depression? I think it's a good thing really which may sound strange. Depression is a natural emotional response. A pure narcissist would have already found someone else and coldly moved on, discarding his family. An example I've often read here is of the gay-in-denial narcissist husband remarrying a woman. That's the unhealthy response because he continues to live in the lie. I think of depression as a lapse of time between my false perception of things, I'm straight and married, and reality, I'm gay and need to divorce. My depression was an emotional reset during which I had to question my behaviour, accept consequences, apologise, and rebuild.

​I hope that answers your questions my friend. If not, please feel free to write again.

Last edited by Séan (December 19, 2016 3:53 am)

Board footera