OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 26, 2021 9:45 pm  #11

Re: My wife has been briefly online dating a woman and just told me.

clifmasseyjr wrote:

Clif.....once you agree to her seeing other women you can't take that back. If you agree to an open r'ship you'll be losing the woman you thought you'd have forever. Be stronger in your decisions than she is in hers. It sounds like she's using the love you have for her...against you, to get your agreement to this change of lifestyle. It is painful, and it will be painful for a while yet but we're here for you  

*The open r'ship my partner (male bisexual) got me to agree to totally ruined our 37 years. The love I had for him over-road my better instincts and I wish I'd been more aware

Elle*

Edited to say....as soon as I posted this I realised you've already agreed/been okay with her seeing other people

Last edited by Ellexoh_nz (May 26, 2021 9:47 pm)

KIA KAHA                       

May 27, 2021 6:53 am  #12

THANK YOU ALL!!!

This has been one of the most unbearable 24 hour periods of my life. If I had not found SSN, I don't know where I would be mentally or emotionally.

Seeing strangers posting and comforting and giving advice to me out of the kindness of their hearts has simply blown me away. And I was put in touch with a text group that talked with me until almost midnight last night. Everyone of them - and every one of you - is an angel.

I did tell my wife that I cannot agree to an open relationship. I told her I cannot share her. She would like to pursue this and come back to me if it's not what she wants. I told her that avenue would not be available to her. That she has to make a choice now. She has made her choice. And so I move on.

The car rental thing really threw me. She is drawing unemployment and offered to pay me back for the rental. However, I was disgusted that she would even ask - even though she insists the relationship is platonic. I've asked her several times if she would be OK with me asking her to rent me a car to go see a woman out of state that I was just "friends" with. She just doesn't seem to understand how horrible she has been. Thank you all for confirming for me that I am right to be upset (at least) about her bringing this to me.

Today, I woke up feeling better. Tomorrow, I imagine it will be better, still. Thanks again to everyone that commented and supported me. I can never repay you for your kindness.

May 27, 2021 8:12 am  #13

No. The trip is on the weekend (if she is even taking it now). I do appreciate the heads-up, though.

May 27, 2021 1:12 pm  #14

One more piece of financial advice to you and everyone else if you decide to end a relationship: make sure that your spouse or partner is not the beneficiary on your life insurance, retirement accounts or any other assets where it could blow up in the future.

You  want to provide for your minor children so when you talk with an attorney find out what you need to do to accomplish this under the laws where you live.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

May 27, 2021 1:28 pm  #15

clifmasseyjr wrote:

She just doesn't seem to understand how horrible she has been..........

Today, I woke up feeling better. Tomorrow, I imagine it will be better, still....

Thanks again to everyone that commented and supported me. I can never repay you for your kindness.

Deep down she will know how horrible she's been Clif. Her need to discover who she really is will be bigger than her need to acknowledge 'your' pain...,

I have to warn you.... though it might feel like it's better... Your new reality, emotions mostly, may be up and down for a while yet as you process this....,

You can repay us by checking in with us and letting us know how it's going. Do you have anybody to confide in, talk to...a good friend, a brother, sister, parent?

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

May 27, 2021 3:17 pm  #16

Yeah, the roller coaster is real. I felt great this morning. Right now (the afternoon) I have that feeling of barely being able to take deep breaths. Like the wind has been knocked out of me. A roller coaster is a great analogy. You never know when the next drop will be coming.

And today is my first day back at work. And I am in customer service (fine dining server) so it will be challenging to keep my emotions in check if guests get terse.

No, there is no one in my life I can really talk to about this. I do have a text group through SSN that has been a great help the past couple of days. A lifesaver. And this forum has helped a ton.

May 27, 2021 3:24 pm  #17

So sorry that your wife has done this to you and your family, Clif.

Amazing advice here. My two cents below.

First, do not move out or make any sudden life changes. Contact a lawyer. See what your options are. Your rights vary wildly by location. Leaving the house is often abandonment and can have large financial consequences.

Second, breathe. Eat. Sleep as much as you can. Get a therapist. Self-care is important. Treat yourself. You have an unlimited hall pass to indulge right now (no booze though). And rely on your friends. It hurts to air dirty laundry, but you need to let the venom out to heal.

Third, your wife is playing the "pick me dance". She believes that she can lie to you and openly have sex with a woman, and you'll still go back with her if she wants. You are very wise to know this is a game you can't win. I wasn't as smart as you!

Fourth, the description of her sleeping naked with her work friend is surreal. I have a hard time believing her back then, if she says this dating site was for "friends". Be careful of her lies.

Fifth, it does get better with time, but you will have good and bad days. My wife was having affairs for men and women in secret for 15 years. When I started to unravel her lies, my past, present, and future fell apart. I still wake up with panic attacks about it all. But each day life gets better as long as we're doing the work.

Finally, if your username is your real name I would recommend changing it. I'm guessing it isn't, but if so, that could be bad for your divorce.

Wishing you strength on the path ahead.

Last edited by Upside (May 27, 2021 3:25 pm)

May 28, 2021 6:38 am  #18

Clif,

So sorry.   Lots of good advice from others.   Some other advice.. don't move out or offer to move out.   That may look like you abandoned your kids.    As hard as it is..  you did none of this..this is all of her making.. You being in the house is just  reality.. it should not be your problem...do not try to solve all her
problems that she created.

Wishing you strength and fortitude .

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

May 28, 2021 7:10 pm  #19

Clif,

I third not leaving the house to be near the kids and for financial leverage in the future.

People who come out of the closet often go through a second adolescence. Make sure to set boundaries with her parental obligations and household responsibilities.

Post when you need to.  Thinking good thoughts for you & your kids.

Best,
Maria

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

Board footera