OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2021 10:09 am  #1

Help, support, advice,...whatever you got.

My wife of 10 years discovered she was bisexual about six months ago.  It was something she subconsciously knew pretty much all her life (she had "girl-crushes"), but assumed it was nothing because that's not how she is supposed to be.  However, she always felt something was missing in her life.  She did lots of self reflecting in 2020 (thanks Covid), and realized she might be bi.  I super lover my wife and pretty much do whatever I can to make her happy.  I supported and encouraged her in exploring this aspect and she went on a dating app.  She talked with a woman online (long-distance) and after a month of talking that woman came to town and my wife went out on an overnight date with her.  When my wife came back the next day, she felt horrible and was afraid she wrecked our marriage.  I was supportive and told her I love her and always will.  She recently flew to the other woman's town to meet up with her.  We talk about all of this in the open with each other and she always asks my permission to visit and talk.
I have never been the jealous type.  Not at all.  My wife and I have been in love for over 11 years and at the beginning of our relationship we were very passionate with each other.  However, after 2 kids and 10 years of marriage, the passion has died down.  This is mainly on her side as I am as passionate and desire her as much as I ever did.  I didn't mind this too much because that is just what happens in long relationships.
However, my wife now has the same passion she did at the start of our marriage, but not for me.  She talks with the other woman every night and I can hear how flirty and filled with desire she is.  It leaves me with a pit in my stomach that I've never experienced before.  I'm feeling very jealous, undesired, and less like a man.  Never before have I ever felt this and I am not sure how to handle it.  I've talked with my wife about it and she will make sure she calls out of my earshot from now on, but this feeling of jealousy and unattractiveness is still here.
I want my wife to be as happy as possible.  I want her to have everything she wants.  She really is a very compassionate person who many times has told me if I want her to break off contact with this other woman she would.  But she also told me that she loves this other woman and I see how happy my wife is after she talks with her.  I can't take that away for her.
I've read alot of posts here, but can't really find one with my situation where you are trying to make a marriage work with one partner having a girlfriend too.  Thank you for letting me tell my story.  My wife says she loves me, never wants to lose me, and wants to feel that intimacy and passion with me, but she is just not feeling it now.  We are going to go to marriage counseling.  Part of what is so hard is that we love each other so much.  We really are each other's best friends.  She just feels a sexual desire and connection with someone who isn't me and I just am not handling it well.  If anyone has any advice or anything for me I would greatly appreciate it.  

January 28, 2021 11:35 am  #2

Re: Help, support, advice,...whatever you got.

Hi SupportiveHusband, 

First off I would suggest you look at the ethical non-monogamy subreddits on Reddit. You’ll find a lot of information on situations similar to yours there. Also check out the MarriedandBi subreddit. This is not a easy road and seems like it's usually filled with many challenges and lots of uncertainty, but open and honest communication is paramount.  I think what your wife is experiencing is well explained as being part of forming any new intimate relationship (new relationship energy kind of thing) ... there’s an acronym for it, but I can’t recall it off hand. Also typically with ENM, both sides of the relationship open up to help stave off resentment that is sure to arise if one party is out having intimate fun with others while the other sits home and waits. 

I’m sorry I can’t offer you any more help. I have no real life experience with ENM. 

EDIT... My husband came out to me as bi over a year ago after 30 years (of me figuring he wasn't quite straight). We are remaining monogamous because that's what works best for our marriage. 

Last edited by TangledOil (January 28, 2021 12:09 pm)

January 28, 2021 11:41 am  #3

SupportiveHusband,

So sorry you’re having to go through this, especially after being so unselfish. 

I don’t have experience with an open marriage, so what I’m going to say is second-hand, however, I’m sure others will respond that have, and have felt what you are feeling.

When you open your marriage and one or both of you are intimate with someone else, your bond is broken, even if you gave permission and were all right with it. After al, she is your wife, and I imagine when you got married, you didn’t intend for there to be more than two of you being intimate. We’re in a MOM, and I know I couldn’t ever be non-monogamous. My husband cheated with men our entire relationship (at the time it was 15 1/2 years) until I caught him. We’ve been working on repairing our marriage for over 1 1/2 years and it’s an uphill battle, to say the least. You mention the pit in your stomach. If you are uncomfortable with your wife being with another woman, then you should talk with her about it, and if necessary, have her break it off, especially if it is harming your marriage, which I would think would be more important than ‘satisfying her needs’. That is what we’re working with. My husband’s ‘needs’/urges are NOT as important as our marriage. I love him dearly, but I have already ‘shared’ him enough! If he has to have sex with another man again, then we will just go our separate ways, even though that’s the last thing either of us wants. 
The ONLY time I’ve seen an open marriage work, is if BOTH spouses are TOTALLY comfortable with it. It takes a lot of planning, boundaries made (and lines get crossed anyway sometimes), and more.
Counseling will help a lot, whether you’re going to keep your marriage open or not. Your love for each other & the fact that you’re best friends will help a lot 😊. That has carried us a long way. We’re not ‘best friends’ again yet, but sure hope we will be again soon. At least you aren’t having ‘cheating’ to deal with. She’s doing this with your blessings. It’s just something that the two of you need to define and refine.

All the best to the both of you.

((((HUGS))))

January 28, 2021 11:43 am  #4

There are people who have open marriages where one or both have other relationships. Those who are comfortable with this probably don't post here, those who do either aren't onboard with it or have tried it in some form and no longer want it.

When it there is one spouse with a side same-sex relationship(s) the straight partner may or may not have negotiated equal rights to have opposite sex partner(s). The logistics can get complicated and there are support websites for those interested in making polyamory in some form part of their marriage.

If you are not keen on this you have come to the right place.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

January 28, 2021 11:58 am  #5

Hi SH — I'm sorry you're here. I know you came for support, but I'm going to be honest with you: This sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen. Open marriages are very difficult (period). Throw in a "surprise, I'm not straight" situation....oy.

This is A LOT to process in just six months. My husband told me he's bisexual nearly two years ago, and I'm still struggling....so I can only imagine what you're feeling right now. Your wife started talking to a woman just one month ago and she's already in love and flying long distance during a pandemic to be with her? Wow. Either she's been talking to this woman longer than she's admitting...or she's deep in the throws of "gay adolescence" + "new relationship energy"...and not making the most rational choices. 

Listen, I would never (not in a million years) agree to an arrangement like this...I can barely meet work deadlines—yet alone juggle two relationships and a child...But, if I were the non-monogamous type, I would not attempt to navigate this alone. You both need to get into counseling ASAP: Be honest about your feelings, set boundaries, talk "what if" scenarios...There are children involved, so this isn't something that should be taken lightly. 

Most importantly, look after your happiness. What are you getting out of this? Do you feel loved / respected / desired? If not, do you get to seek other women for that? This is your marriage, too...and you have every right to not want to spend it on the sidelines. 

Hang in there, SH.

Last edited by Julian_Stone (January 28, 2021 12:04 pm)

January 28, 2021 12:15 pm  #6

Yes... all of what everyone above said for sure. What’s done is done, but definitely seek out couples therapy ASAP to help both of you navigate all of this. Many couples that do end up successfully opening up their marriage don’t do it quickly... 6 months after bi discloser is exceptionally quick... it didn’t give you much time to process all of what this means for you or your relationship. Your wife has been processing this on some level her entire life. I’ve heard of couples opening up (on BOTH sides) and seemingly doing it well, 5 or even 10 years after discloser, or never... as they realize it just wouldn’t work for them if they desire to remain married. 

Another thing to note is that many men don't view WW relationships as a threat to their relationship. It's wrong to assume that though. Any intimate emotional and sexual relationship can be a threat. 

Last edited by TangledOil (January 28, 2021 2:00 pm)

January 28, 2021 2:28 pm  #7

On another thread, Abby said to a poster something like the following: Instead of trying to figure out what you can tolerate, ask yourself what you need and can't do without.

You do not have the basis for an ethical non-monogamous relationship, because you didn't together come to believe this is something you want.  It was forced on you by your wife, and you agree for her happiness not because you wanted it, too.  You have the right to change your mind at any time, and to tell your wife that you have changed your mind.  Now that you have a taste of it, you find that it's unacceptable to you--it makes you feel lonely, diminished, "undesired" and "less like a man."  So tell her you want it to stop.  You say she tells you she will stop, but she also puts the pressure on you to accept this by telling you she loves this woman, and you know this is what she wants, so you are afraid to force the issue by telling her the truth.  

January 28, 2021 3:16 pm  #8

I agree with OOHC. Ethical non-monogamy implies you both enthusiastically entered into this agreement and are happy/fulfilled. That is obviously not the case here. I really think if you have any hope of saving this marriage you need to take a huge step back...cut out the third wheel...and work on the relationship between the two of you.

If your wife is truly your best friend (as you say), she would not want you to be hurting and feeling like "less of a man." 

Last edited by Julian_Stone (January 28, 2021 3:23 pm)

January 28, 2021 4:16 pm  #9

I agree too - and I'd like to emphasise that feeling jealous, undesirable and less like a man are entirely valid feelings, absolutely what you would expect to feel in the circumstances.  

It's the crux of a MOM - you love her and you're married to her you have feelings about her, how you feel about yourself even is based in her response to you - you don't just feel undesired by her, you feel undesirable.  

January 28, 2021 4:36 pm  #10

“My wife says she loves me, never wants to lose me, and wants to feel that intimacy and passion with me, but she is just not feeling it now."

This really strikes a cord with me. I’m not sure how her having a lover on the side is going to help restore intimacy and passion with you. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t work that way. If, as a couple, you want to work on your relationship the last thing you do is invite extra people into it. 

Last edited by TangledOil (January 28, 2021 4:36 pm)

Board footera