OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 11, 2021 5:35 pm  #41

Re: Amazing changes coming to SSN

Hi Kel,

I hope I am reading this wrong but it looks like you are thinking of disabling this forum - can't you keep it active until you are ready to move it onto the new site.  It seems to me that people are in crisis over their MOMs and being able to talk becomes critical when it does.  This forum has been a lifeline for a lot of people and I hope you continue to keep it open to post as well as read.

thanks, lily

August 11, 2021 7:49 pm  #42

lily wrote:

Hi Kel,

I hope I am reading this wrong but it looks like you are thinking of disabling this forum - can't you keep it active until you are ready to move it onto the new site.

This is one of those times when I'm sure you'll be glad to be wrong. 

We are NOT disabling anything at this point. Here's the promises I can make:

1. This Forum will be business as usual until we get the new Forum on the new site.
2. We will not disable this site for at least a month after we've started the new Forum on the new website. We envision people migrating over to the new site on their own, but being able to finish up old conversations here.
3. At that point, we hope to be able to turn off the ability to start new threads here, but still leave old threads open for another month or so. I'm not sure whether the technology will let us do that or not - we have learning to do.
4. You will be informed every step of the way. We will make no changes without explaining what's happening, giving you a timeline and expectations. We will put up a notification on the top of this site what ththat information. There will also be a link there to new Open Forum on the new site.

We know the Open Forum is a lifeline for many. It's important to us that you all feel secure and have a dependable environment for your discussions. The only reason to have the Open Forum is to help people, and we intend to keep that as our focus moving forward. Nothing will be done without YOUR best interest at the heart of all decisions.

You guys will always have a special part of my heart. This is where I grew my wings, and you will always and forever be the apple of my eye.    You will always be treated as a favorite child.

Love you guys!

K

Last edited by Kel (August 11, 2021 7:54 pm)

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

August 11, 2021 8:17 pm  #43

Kel wrote:

.....You guys will always have a special part of my heart. This is where I grew my wings, and you will always and forever be the apple of my eye.    You will always be treated as a favorite child.

Love you guys!.....

Aww ❤️ cheers Kel

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

August 11, 2021 8:39 pm  #44

The new site will be my goodbye to SSN.  It's about time for me, anyway--five years come this September that I first posted here.  

Just to let everyone know: if you have been using the Forum as a kind of record of your journey, you can search back through your own posts, in "ascending" order, to copy them to a Word document and have a record from your first post forward. (I did this when Kel first announced the new site was coming.)

Edited to add:
 If there are other "trans widows" on this site who would prefer not to lend legitimacy to SSN's  "neutral" position on trans issues, you can find support on this forum on Mumsnet:

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/4236287-trans-widows-escape-committee-5-and-so-it-continues

("Tinsel Angel," the trans widow who initiated the forum and moderates it (and has been interviewed by SSN), was interviewed in the new book "Trans" by Helen Joyce.) 

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (August 11, 2021 9:03 pm)

August 11, 2021 9:57 pm  #45

OoHC, I'm sure we will miss you but I wish you the best going forward. You have provided much valuable insight over the years in a very complex area.

Daryl

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

August 11, 2021 10:06 pm  #46

delete

Last edited by Lynne (July 15, 2022 6:32 pm)

August 12, 2021 3:22 am  #47

OutofHisCloset wrote:

,.....Just to let everyone know: if you have been using the Forum as a kind of record of your journey, you can search back through your own posts, in "ascending" order, to copy them to a Word document and have a record from your first post forward.... 

I'm not quite sure how to do it but that's such a good idea OOHC..!

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

August 12, 2021 8:37 am  #48

Elle (and others who might want to archive their own posts):

To access your own posts, go up to the top of the main forum page to the bar; choose "search"; type in your own user name; then work down the page with this choice of prompts: check the circle for "posts"; use the drop down menu at the bottom of the page to select "ascending," which will take you to your own posts, starting with your very first one.  You can then copy and paste from there.  If a post is longer than the selection shown in the list, you can access the whole post by clicking on the "go to post" at the bottom left of the post.  At that point you can copy it, and then export it from the site to the new document you've chosen to archive (just like "cut and paste" with any text).  To return to the list of your own posts, hit the back arrow.  

Lynne: This transwidow agrees 1000% with you.   Luckily there are such places as the Transwidows site on Mumsnet, and many other sites--Transwidow's Voices, Ovarit, WoLF (Women's Liberation Front); Terf Is a Slur (terfisaslur.com), and many others--run by those who are unafraid to run afoul of the pernicious undermining of women's and girls' right and to tell the truth about the harm done by trans-identifying men to their partners and children.  I've tried over time in replying to new posters with sources from academics like Blanchard, Bailey, Lawrence, and Chapman, as well as with the words of transwidows themselves (Gas Mark Six by Naeferty; Christine Benevenuto's memoir "Sex Changes"), and the accounts by journalists like Helen Joyce ("Trans").  Graham Linehan, who works from Substack, is also a fierce defender of women and children against the inroads of trans activists and the damage done by "affirmative" only "care" for teens.  (This is only a partial list.) 

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (August 12, 2021 8:48 am)

August 12, 2021 8:45 am  #49

I have no desire to archive my own posts. I did not post much. I am happy that Kia wants to archive hers. She is living with a homosexual so she needs all the records that she can get. I am free from mine.

August 12, 2021 8:48 am  #50

I know I haven't been around that much lately, but this site has been a lifesaver for me.  I really mean that.

I read along as best I can, but often I feel like I end up so exhausted from my own situation that there isn't anything left to provide comfort to the next person.  It's been a surreal and exhausting time.

I keep thinking I should post in "Our Stories" but it's so draining to go back and look at my own trainwreck of a life.

Board footera