OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 6, 2016 11:36 am  #51

Re: Feeling overwhelmed

Cameron wrote:

Shirley - I completely agree that this forum should not evolve into a "poor me" gay parade.  Unquestionably, the Straight Spouse Network's purpose is to support straight spouses.

When I first found this forum five years ago, it took me several months to understand my appropriate role here as a gay spouse.  I now follow a few self-imposed rules -

1. I try to wait at least a full day before responding to a new thread.  I think it's very important that the first several replies come from straight spouses and not a gay one. 
2. I try to only post new and relevant information.  If a straight spouse can say something I can, there's no need for me to say anything.
3. I try to stick to subjects I know first-hand, especially the "Is he gay?" question and the pros vs. cons of staying in a MOM.
4. I respond when someone directly asks me a question.

I know some people don't like this new message board, but I think the change has enabled the regulars to really shine.  In my opinion, the quality and thoughtfulness of the posts are the best they've ever been.  As a result, I find there's less I can usefully add.  Although I check in almost every day, I'm happy to lurk and mostly not post.

And why do I like to lurk?  To continue my own education.

Because I participate in other forums, both in person and on-line, I encounter "bi-curious" men all the time.  These men are so stuck in their own narrow worlds that they have no genuine understanding of how their hidden sexuality affects others.  If I wasn't there to push, prod, question and advocate, they'd rely on similar "curious" men to direct them.  I think I add a great deal of value to those conversations --- but only because I spend so much time lurking, reading and learning here.

This *is* your forum, Shirley.  So I respectfully ask for your permission to continue to chime in from time to time, subject to the restrictions I have outlined above.  Will that work for you?

Thank you Cameron.  I appreciate the respect and I respect your voice especially if you are trying to stop others doing what so many others have done to the people on this forum.  Maybe, just maybe if you had been there for my ex, then we may have been able to save some semblance of a relationship.   I remember saying 'why doesn't anyone just tell him'.  He went completely into the gay scene, new friends, new partners and became a different person overnight.  

I acknowledge the difficulties gay people have in 'coming out' regardless of whether they are married or not.  However, I personally don't want to know the difficulties of those that have married and openly said their marriage vows knowing the poor sod they're marrying hasn't got a clue.  It broke my heart to read Sean confirming this. 

I've digressed.  I personally don't want to know the difficulties that married or formerly married gay people have suffered.  God knows I spent years after he left trying to understand what my ex needed (He was my best friend.  Or so I believed. Why wouldn't I?) but the abuse and deceit continued and I spent even more years trying to find out HOW he could do this to me and our children. 

I acknowledge there are people on this forum who's Sean's views may help.  I am not one of them and will heed his advice not to read his posts. 

I have one question Cameron (and I may have more) maybe you can help me with.  It's many, many years since we split up and don't have anything to do with each other anymore.  He used the children to see me.  He wouldn't see the children unless I was there.  Why were his children not more important to him than I was?   He would proclaim he would always be there for them but when they needed to speak to him he couldn't be found.  My youngest (he was about 15 or so at the time) was phoning all his father's friends and the hospitals, leaving voicemails everywhere.  So youngest son said 'right, I'll get him to ring'.  One of the voicemails he left with one of the friends said 'dad, can you get in touch.  Mum's in hospital'.   10 minutes it took him to get in touch.  

thank you for listening

November 6, 2016 12:55 pm  #52

Sean, Cameron, jeffW....et al;
I don't find any of your posts insensitive. If telling me "your side" in hopes of me understanding shitty behavior (I think that's what all of your sharings are about) make me feel like you are looking for points, then I have read it all wrong. If we truly want to learn something & move on we all really need to come to the table with open minds & open hearts, otherwise we are simply taking turns talking without actually hearing each other. If your comments make me want to ram the whole lot down your throat & throw in a few punches, that's more my anger towards my own spouse, not you or LGBT in general. Plus, I DO love a good debate. That's all I see this thread and forum for the most part, is.

Sean, you asked further up what you could do?

You can talk about your compassion to the spouses OUT LOUD, in public, not just anonymous & on forums. Sure, stay here, it's valuable & rather enjoyable, but imagine how cathertic that would be for yourself & all the "straights-in-the-closet" to see the discussion out in the general population, just as LGBT rights are? There are just as many closeted, shamed, hurting, devastated & isolated straight spouses out there, with no public voice, as there are trolls on the DL. We have no voice!!! We are all here, anonymous & underground, looking for answers & support & a lifeline to stop us from going in insane, being eternally heartbroken & yes, committing suicide. This shit needs to stop & until people are willing to stand up and make public declarations, it will never be addressed or solved.

That is not to say I suggest you take up your life's energy marching to our drum, but please consider stating the same regrets you have shared her, in public, when the opportunity presents itself. I akin it to me standing up to bigots & racists face to face when they remark or make jokes. 

It takes a village ;)

Bless everyone for telling & owning their shit (on a Sunday yet, I will be struck by lightening one of these days)

Sham

November 6, 2016 4:34 pm  #53

Cajun Belle: Effing brilliant.  And I say it as one who needs to heed what you've said.

November 6, 2016 5:54 pm  #54

Quite frankly, I don't give a flying f* anymore why it happened, because he couldn't , or wouldn't deal with his shit, he imploded several lives, and showed our kids over and over how unworthy they were. It's not ok.

November 6, 2016 6:17 pm  #55

Thank you Cajun Belle.

November 6, 2016 8:22 pm  #56

CajunBelle wrote:

It seems that, probably due to the constitutional psychological and emotional differences between men and women (of whatever orientation), the straight wives (and ex-wives) on here are far more wounded, and for a LOT longer, by the "whys?!" than the straight husbands and ex-husbands are.

This is something that the women especially are haunted and tormented by. I guess because as science explains to us, we're just wired to be very wrapped up with all the endless tiny subtle nuances of relationship. We notice and value and put energy into all kinds of intricate little emotional and psychological nuances in bonding, that the males of the species just aren't as into, as we are.

My guess is that this is why the straight hubbies seem to heal and move on faster than the women do. Note I used the word "seem" and note also that I am not downplaying the agony of straight husbands who have been so candid about their "dark nights of the soul."

But in general women are more consumed by the question of why did he do it, and how could he do it?

This is a really interesting topic.  One that I think would be worthy of it's own thread. 

I think I agree with you that str8 spouse women are more injured than str8 spouse men.  That's not meant to say that men aren't crushed and destroyed as well.. but perhaps we recover faster or turn out healthier in the end?  Of course there are no absolutes.  We are all unique and all deal with things in our own way.  But I think the observation you make tends to be true more often than not.  

I wonder what the emotional physiological science is behind this?  I wonder if understanding this topic better might help all of us figure out how to heal a little better or a little faster?

Is there a genetic "dominance" the male in a relationship vs. the female that allows men to move on and find another spouse if the first one doesn't work out?  

It's an interesting topic..  I'd like to think on this more.    I've been feeling this primal urge to find someone new.. to "replace" my former spouse.  It feels like I will be ok once I have someone new.  It's a deep internal feeling that I have a hard time explaining or really pulling out of my brain to lay out in the open and analyze.  

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

November 6, 2016 11:40 pm  #57

CajunBelle wrote:

Men do not have this oxytocin storm exacerbating an addiction every time they have an orgasm. You guys can orgasm "off the record." You may love your mate very dearly but you simply don't get marinated in an extremely powerful bonding chemical every time you  come. >

Oh we men get marinated when we cum... don't you worry about that... but perhaps in a slightly different cocktail of hormones.  We get marinated in the hormones that say "You need to do that again. You need to do it soon... and you need to do it as often as possible."

Of course all this chemical and biological stuff plays a part... but honestly... how 'cut up' someone - male or female - gets after a breakup is wrapped up in a very, very complex set of factors.  How 'in love' you were... how happy you were in the relationship... what your prospects are moving forward.... how it affects other relationships you have... how it affects your ability to house and feed your family.... how it will impact on you financially... etc etc.  I could go on and on.

Statistically something like 70% of all divorces are instigated by women.  That statistic is NOT saying that women are the 'home wrecking' gender.  They are just the gender that eventually says "Fuck this... I'm out."  So... as 'marinated' as a woman may get in this 'I love you' hormone it's not gonna make her put up with your shit forever. 

Love the geek out CajunBelle

Steve (closet geek)

Last edited by Steve (November 7, 2016 1:13 am)

You have a future. A good one. It begins as a flicker of hope. Nurture it until it becomes a dream and when you are strong enough you will make it a reality. NEVER give up. 

November 7, 2016 12:54 am  #58

I think my wife is missing the oxytocin hormone.

Speaking from my own personal experience, men also get a rush of hormones from sex.  Exhilaration, success, love, acceptance... the desire to do it again another day (or in an hour)...   but related to the emotional bond with the female their is something else.

I guess the best word I could use sounds bad..  but it's "ownership".  But I cringe at the sound of that word because it displays something negative.  I don't see it that way though.  It's like...  "this is my mate. I will love her and protect her.  I'm responsible for her.  She will provide nurture and care for me and our children." 

But wouldn't this fit just like a puzzle piece with the hormone impacts that women get from sex? 

Maybe it's just me..  probably makes me sound like a jerk.  Feminists will hate me.

Maybe this is why her affair hurt me so much.  It's like she gave herself to someone else..  but she belonged to me.  She was mine..  body and heart.  And loving her and providing for her was so fulfilling for me.  That was my greatest pride.

Maybe this is why the biblical verses about "two people becoming one" mean so much to me.  It implies an ownership of each other.

Last edited by lostdad (November 7, 2016 1:14 am)

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

November 7, 2016 9:11 am  #59

CajunBelle wrote:

I think, lostdad, her oxytocin will be elicited (trying to be delicate here) by orgasms with someone who feels like her mate in the orientation sense. ahem.

Seems like you guys are both describing emotional states as opposed to actual hormone/chemical addiction states... but then, (referring back to the "I confess" thread) I confess that straight men mystify me even more than gay ones.

I give up. You know what I've been through, Lostdad.... married men and gay guys... married men and gay guys. Oh hell and the occasional married gay GID guy.

I've had it. I'm sticking with animals.

Don't give up!  

I think the emotional state we describe is assisted by a chemical stimulant. I think it's similar to how women are designed.  Perhaps the hormonal brew isn't as intoxicating for men as it is for women..  But I think there is still a similarity. 

November 7, 2016 9:16 am  #60

Thanks Sham, CajunBelle, and so many others for their recent posts. I now see things more clearly from the straight spouse's perspective, particularly the straight wife's perspective. I can also see how my presence here might unsettle members, particularly given CajunBelle's brilliant 'coyote' post a few days ago. Rather than me popping up from time to time, would it be worthwhile to create a thread or perhaps a new section of the site through which straight spouses could "Ask a gay spouse" questions? This would avoid me and others like me from barging in on discussions that don't concern me and perhaps give interested spouses a safe space to ask questions about the other side. Similarly, it might be worthwhile to add a mixed orientation marriage thread. Thoughts?

Board footera