OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 4, 2020 2:28 pm  #11

Re: Does anyone actually stay together?

Cacaphony,
Is there any possibility of a depression or other mood disorder playing into this sudden change?

Idk why, but I developed PTSD,PPD and PPA after the birth of our kids and I want to hope that maybe that's a factor. I'm a military spouse, I absolutely completely get where you're coming from. I'm sorry you're here.

August 5, 2020 11:54 am  #12

Hi Echo, 

Even though I had my suspicions that my husband wasn’t completely straight for nearly our entire 28 year relationship, he finally confirmed that he is bisexual in January. It’s been a wild ride, but it’s getting easier every day. We are monogamously committed to one another. When he first made his revelation after I questioned him, he said he might want to have a man on the side. We’ve both come to the conclusion that wouldn’t work for our relationship. He has been faithful all these years. If you want to talk privately feel free to message me. Our relationship is stronger than it’s been in at least a few years now that he’s revealed that he accepts that’s he’s bi.  

August 5, 2020 5:13 pm  #13

Hey everyone. Echo, yeah my poor wife has been through a LOT of trauma. One of her therapists said to her after reading a file on her that she commended her on being alive as most people that have been through what she has are, in her experience, dead or seriously addicted to drugs.

At this point I don't know what the future holds. We still care for each other and love one another but I don't know if going forward that will mean romantic love. We consider each other to be best friends as well. I'm not sure where she will go from here. She has just told me that she is queer and has struggled with this a long time and she doesn't know if she can just push that away. We are getting a small apartment very close by that we will stay at different times during the week so we can still support our kids. Deep down I hope this will reset our relationship and that we will still have a future together, but the pragmatist in me finds that pretty unlikely.

Thank you for the kinds words. I have a very supportive family but they live far away. I do have good friends but none where I currently live. Much of that is on me, as I am quite introverted and haven't made good attempts at making new friends due to the temporary stay here (well 4-5 years). I am working on trying to meet new people now, but obviously that is difficult during a pandemic.

August 21, 2020 10:29 pm  #14

Welcome Cacophony,

I am sorry you are going through this during a pandemic and with small children to boot.  I found out about my husband's encounters with this other man in May.  At first I was a complete and total mess.  We have been together for 21 years and have a 13 year old son.  Now  I am calmer and really just trying to take one day at a time.  I sometimes feel that we will work it out.  We've been in counseling together and I go alone too.  Other times I am not so sure.  I am hoping that with time things will become clear.  What I don"t want to do is waste a lot of years in this in between place.....I figure if I still feel this unsure by this time next year than I think I will have my answer.  I also don't want to change anything during this pandemic....it's too hard.

I love my husband very much and I know he loves me.  We have spent many hours talking and just holding each other....many tears.  It has been difficult but also on the positive side I can say that we are closer and more honest with each other than we have been maybe ever.....it is better for everything to be out in the light....

I wish you luck and I wish you much peace and love during this difficult time!

September 7, 2020 10:33 am  #15

I too am brand new. Two weeks ago I confronted my husband of 22 years, only to learn that he had been sleeping with men for 15 years. He's also recently HIV+ and a heavy meth user for the last 5 years. (We haven't had sex in more than 8 years.) First I have to get him into a rehab (he's been clean, I think, for two weeks. I'm looking at places that have an LGBTQ support program. He says he doesn't know what he wants, and I feel completely adrift, but I can't imagine myself alone. He thought I would throw him out if and when I ever learned the truth, so I don't think he contemplated our staying together. We have some serious financial issues and home repairs to sort out after the drug problem, so there is maybe some time for us to figure it out. I'd like to have counseling. I don't think I could do an open marriage. Any feedback or support is appreciated.
Thanks.

September 9, 2020 12:27 pm  #16

Hd Mom,

Addressing the drug abuse is absolute first priority. Like your intention to get him to rehab, is the most sensible thing to do.

There is a high probability the drug abuse is connected with the other things you describe. Internalized homophobia, not accepting his sexual orientation, leads to inner conflict.
So it's important he accepts his sexuality without blaming/rejecting himself for it. I assume the "LGBT support program" you mention is aimed at that. (?)

But there may also be another aspect at play: The consequence of his sexual orientation in your marriage. Like demonstrated by you both not having sex for 8 years. I suppose he feels falling short towards you, failing you. Not to mention the cheating he did. A heavy burden of feeling guilty and not worth of you.
(He is right about that, but I suspect that at the moment this is also depressing him and weighs on his mind). It may be an unexpected question, but is he religious?

I think it's too soon to know if you have a future together and if so, how that will look like (MOM?). So maybe it's better not to think/decide about that until you're a couple of months further down the road. Certainly after rehab, but also he accepting himself being gay.
Only then it's time to consider if and what the options are for your way together.

September 9, 2020 2:11 pm  #17

Hi:
Thanks for your question. He was raised Catholic, and we were married in the church. We are not religious now, but I assume there are some holdover effects. His mother is still very religious and he has spoken of not disappointing her.
He says that he doesn't know if he is gay or bi-sexual, that those are just "labels."
He said that he was always so certain that I would throw him out once I learned the truth, that he never considered that we could have a conversation about these things. I don't have a lot of details about the programs with the LGBTQ support groups (although we are working with someone who has placed other gay individuals in rehab, so she knows that is of interest). They certainly aren't groups that try to convince people that they are not gay, if that was your question. I don't know if other people in the drug program will be there in part because they question their sexual identity, but I expect that as professionals they will be able to deal with that aspect provided that my husband is forthcoming about it.
I agree that the staying together question is one for further down the line.
Thanks.

September 14, 2020 2:15 pm  #18

I am so very sorry that you are going through this. I joined this Forum in June or July. I read the posts but have not posted since I joined. I have a therapist and that really helps.  Be careful what you post. My therapist told me that not all people on  here are straight spouses. There are trolls in any internet group.  If you can afford it, seek out a therapist. I am holding a good thought for you.

September 15, 2020 10:59 am  #19

HD Mom wrote:

He says that he doesn't know if he is gay or bi-sexual, that those are just "labels."

It's true that are only labels, but it might well be he just says this to avoid confrontation with the reality, and that's not productive.

He said that he was always so certain that I would throw him out once I learned the truth, that he never considered that we could have a conversation about these things.

Well... love can do this. But in the long(er) run only a good thing to maintain if it comes from both sides equally, and that's beautiful. But it should not end up in one spouse sacrificing herself for the other, because that's just ugly.

They certainly aren't groups that try to convince people that they are not gay, if that was your question. 
I don't know if other people in the drug program will be there in part because they question their sexual identity, but I expect that as professionals they will be able to deal with that aspect provided that my husband is forthcoming about it.

I didn't assume it would be 'conversion therapy' or something. I mentioned religion because it can have a negative impact like guilt and shame, but religion can also have the opposite effect, like being accepted by God gives room to self acceptance. But from what you wrote, it's not that clear if either are really applicable to your husbands situation. 

I think the drugs abuse is only a symptom. So I do hope he doesn't hide/deny the trouble he has accepting his sexuality, which is probably the underlying cause of the problem (or at least part of it). This pattern is not uncommon. In theory the professionals will know this, but it's often a system and not that realy involved as it should be. In practise it's sensible for the persons involved (or around them) to keep an eye on this and to steer a bit in the right direction if needed. Maybe it's perfectly fine where your husband goes in rehab, but don't automaticaly rely too much on 'they are professionals' and will go that extra mile that is realy needed.

Last edited by Dutchman (September 15, 2020 11:10 am)

September 15, 2020 11:40 am  #20

He's not too keen on 12 step programs as he feels that they will focus too much on the moral side of things, yet he himself says he "deserves" what he got (the implication being that he's a bad person). He definitely has a lot to sort out...

Board footera