OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 13, 2020 1:18 pm  #11

Re: Suicidal thoughts

I think I enjoyed getting out and walking around, like you're describing.  Where I used to live (with my husband), I'd met my neighbors just because I had a morning routine that involved going for a walk at the same time every day, and I started to meet the same dog-walkers and neighbors that way, and bit by bit we all built a group of really close friends.  So I think if I can get myself to go out and walk near my apartment, if I do it at the same time every day, I'll start to see the same dog-walkers and mothers taking toddlers to the playground, and at least get a nodding acquaintance with people who live here.

February 13, 2020 1:26 pm  #12

Am glad to hear this.  A regular routine helps me keep on track.

Don’t hesitate to contact your local suicide hotline when you feel suicidal urges. It’s confidential and the counselors are well trained. It’s been a life saver for many.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

February 13, 2020 1:48 pm  #13

I am so sorry you are going through this. I have been extremely depressed as well. I coped by eating and drinking and not taking care of myself. I know you dont want to have to pick yourself up right now but start small and start doing things everyday for YOU. Whether that be eating healthy, buying a dress/necklace, going on a trip, anything for YOU. I have to remind myself everyday that I need to care about myself because if I dont I will slip into my hatred for myself which consists of me sleeping and eating fast food and shutting out the world. Day by day I start to care more about myself again. Somedays I go back to the beginning and get so mad at the world and my ex and all of the bullshit people out there that screw each other over, and then I try to ground myself again and realize with this horrible horrible situation we have gone through there is always a silver lining. We are alive for another chance to be happy again. A different version of happy or even just content. Even the smallest chance is enough of a reason to keep living. Everything I am saying probably sounds like BS but please remember this is coming from a person who has been as low as they ever thought they could be. I was so low and so down. I still have my days but I have hope that someday I will be hopeful and happy again. 

February 13, 2020 4:36 pm  #14

My best depression buster is exercise, preferably out in the fresh air.  

February 13, 2020 6:35 pm  #15

OutofHisCloset wrote:

My best depression buster is exercise, preferably out in the fresh air.  

Ditto

KIA KAHA                       

February 13, 2020 6:37 pm  #16

Hi walkbymyself,
I have to admit that during the past 20 years, since my GIDXH told me, "I want to explore my homosexual feelings", there have been numerous times I have had thoughts of "ending this existence".
But almost as quickly as I consider a method, I think of my 2 children, and my resolve weakens. They are adults now, but 20 years ago, they were very vulnerable (daughter 14, son 10). Yes, I write in the present tense, because "those" thoughts still come.
My therapist has told me quite often, "Thoughts & feelings will come, but what you DO will affect many."  I have had many decades of those thoughts, but I don't want to give the nasty, mean-spirited people the satisfaction of winning and saying, "I told you that she was crazy!"
I recall the shock of learning that Robin Williams, a comedian whom I had admired for many years, had committed suicide.  Who of us among the public, knew he suffered so much anguish, for so long?  There was a time when those who had committed suicide were not spoken of, when suicide was a taboo subject.  I am glad that mental health & illness are being recognized and compassion, instead of judgment, are offered.  I am glad because honesty, is healthier than the alternative.  We who have lived for years, sometimes decades, with people we loved & trusted, struggle to accept that we were not loved or trusted.  And of course, this reality, causes us to reassess our lives & futures. And of course, this reassessment will affect our mental-health.
For me, suicide is only 1 way out.  Another, is fighting back by being honest.  I have found that those who cannot cope with my excruciating honesty, are hiding much.  Sometimes, they recognize I am a "safe person" to confide in. Others, who want to maintain a facade, are free to do so.
I realize I have written much. Thank-you, walkbymyself, for honestly sharing your thoughts & feelings with us.  No judgment from me. Compassion & prayers & hugs.  By the way, we, sadly, belong to an ever growing club, so you are not alone.  Shalom, Peace.

February 13, 2020 10:11 pm  #17

Suicidal behavior can become hereditary - not be genes, just by experience. Consider if you want your daughter to follow your example.

February 14, 2020 11:06 am  #18

UserNada wrote:

Suicidal behavior can become hereditary - not be genes, just by experience. Consider if you want your daughter to follow your example.

I have already considered this.  In my post, it was absolutely front and center.

I'm still allowed to comfort myself, though.

I don't always think people understand the point of view of the kids in this situation, and it makes it hard because we project so much.  Kids my daughter's age don't want to come into adulthood learning how much misery their parents endured for their benefit.  They're at an age where they're rebelling a little, and the last thing they want to hear is their mother saying "I would have left this lying theiving gasbag except I had your future to consider."  That's the last thing they want to hear.  For lack of a better phrase, they want to enter young adulthood debt-free.  They don't want to find out they "owe" their parents in any way.

So the last thing my daughter wants to be saddled with is a suicidal mother, and the second-to-last thing she wants to be saddled with is the guilt of knowing her mother has to endure suicidal thoughts, no matter how painful, for a daughter's sake.  You have to embrace the contradiction here, in what my daughter actually wants, rather than what the hypothetical daughter in a Hallmark TV special wants.  My daughter wants two things that are mutually exclusive.

Last edited by walkbymyself (February 14, 2020 11:07 am)

February 14, 2020 11:51 am  #19

I understand your situation better than you might realize. I know this is horrible.

February 15, 2020 11:03 pm  #20

I have been muttering "I'm going to kill myself" for years now.

Board footera