OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 12, 2019 6:27 pm  #1

Is It Normal To Feel So Tired?

I’m in mourning about the shock of TGT and my divorce 3 yrs ago. Then, the GIDXH died 2.5 years ago. I’m relieved he passed to be honest. He had a boatload of psychological issues.

Is it normal to feel so tired still? I don’t feel depressed or sad. I’m retreating at home when I can. Could this be part of healing? I’m a bit concerned I might be afraid of venturing out. I don’t want TGT ever again!

Thanks for the support here & hope you are all doing well.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

December 12, 2019 9:39 pm  #2

Re: Is It Normal To Feel So Tired?

I'm always tired. I'm also still actively struggling with sadness and depression. Depression doesn't always show up the way you think it does though, MJ, so I wouldn't rule it out even if you wouldn't classify it as depression yourself. Sometimes fatigue is a symptom even when you would say your mood is 'normal'.

I relate to how you're feeling in some ways. Even though my situation isn't as actively in my face anymore, I still grieve. It hurts. I cry. I have a normal day. Or two. Maybe a week if I'm lucky. I remember something new. I get angry. I cry again. Processing just takes time and energy. I don't have much to spare for others, especially when I view people's motives as suspect now.

I can't be bothered to use my limited energy on figuring out who deserves the benefit of the doubt anymore. I'd rather focus internally. I assume that may change at some point. It may not. I stopped trying to force myself to be more social a couple months ago. I show up for the people who show up for me. Anything more ambitious will have to wait. I don't think I will (or want to) love anyone again but I still think I can have a good life. It's just different than what I hoped for and I'm grieving for that as much as the loss of the person I loved because of this sad mess of an experience.

Anyway, if your fatigue persists you might still talk to a doctor about it. Depression is a sneaky beast. Good thoughts headed your way!

December 12, 2019 10:23 pm  #3

MJ, Three years out, I think it’s normal. It’s been 6 years and I feel like things are finally getting organized emotionally and calming down. I think grieving is just a long process.  I’m concluding it takes 6-7 years.

All the best,

ADSJ

December 13, 2019 7:12 pm  #4

Thanks for your response, W. I’ll return to the doctor after the holidays to talk about it if it’s still an issue. 

I would like a new relationship with a man at some point but hard to say if it will happen ever. I want to run if a man I feel attracted to speaks to me. I believe these guys are being polite/friendly- no flirting.

It’s hard to trust my own perceptions. I thought late GIDXH was straight. Will the next one be in the closet too?  There are issues if they’re 100% straight- will they ghost me, be a cheater, want an open relationship out of the blue?  Ahhh, too much can go wrong.

I feel like a different person than before. W, it’s as you said. I’m adjusting to this new reality & it’s not what I wanted or hoped for either.  It’s not fair for any of us.

ADSJ, I’m glad that things are settling down & you feel calmer. Thanks for sharing how long it took. That makes perfect sense.

Hope you both have an enjoyable weekend ahead!!

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

Board footera