OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 7, 2019 3:54 pm  #11

Re: What to tell teen and YA children; outing vs making ourselves small?

I'm confused. Two different counselors in 3 days and both of them told me/us to be cautious telling our 12 years old kid all the details.
Both of them agree that it may cause unnecessary chaos in his head. And i agree with them - what's the difference, why did she leave? It's a fact. She loves him - it's a fact too. These two ar most important, everything else - details.
The problem is that i could not imagine then how does she will communicate with him? Would come to our house everytime? For all the coming years? She already told, that she would like to invite him for an overnight stay at her appartments. (i told a counselor about it and he was sceptical about that idea - child needs one living and secure place, he told). While that, would her lover dissapear somehow? Would meet at neutral places and, again, hide her passion object? If not - what's the reason to not tell him al the details right now? Or she would gone now for a year or two and then we could tell that. I can't get the logic. Help. Am i missing something?

Last edited by morpheus (August 10, 2019 1:37 pm)

August 8, 2019 12:02 pm  #12

Morpheus,

I know having a partner with same sex attraction is not what you signed up for. Sorry this happened, and I completely understand the anger at them.

This is not what you want to hear concerning your son: you have to follow the law in your jurisdiction regarding child visitation when parents live apart. There is no getting around this. Be cautious and prudent. Your best bet is to seek legal advice first on this dilemma, and follow it to the letter.  You want to keep out of trouble. Your partner could easily take you to court. it can turn into a painful mess for everyone involved.

In my home state of California, a parent has joint or limited joint custody of their child(ren) on a regular basis unless the court assesses a parent is unfit (proof of ongoing illegal activity or abject neglect of a child). In California, cohabiting with a person of the same sex  does not effect custody one iota unless they are proven unfit in family court.

Psychotherapists know enough law to run their own practices so they do not get sued. They are not expected to know the intricacies of family law where you live. Again, I strongly urge you consult a lawyer about this.

Good luck and I hope you find sound legal advice for this situation.

Last edited by MJM017 (August 8, 2019 12:04 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

August 8, 2019 3:23 pm  #13

MJM017, thanks for your comment. Maybe i have not made it clear. I'm not questioning her right to meet with son - it's important not only to her, but to our son too, i guess. I'm questioning the logic to not tell him why she left home, but still, take him to her lover's living place (or, maybe, she won't?). I know, that she won't get her own place for a long time, cause she is currently unemployed, so she lives at her friend's appartments. Even if she'll meet in neutral places, would she hide her homosexual friend all the time? If she won't hide, then again, what's the point to not tell everything. He's 12 years, he understand things better than she, i guess. 

Last edited by morpheus (August 8, 2019 3:29 pm)

August 8, 2019 5:47 pm  #14

Sorry for misreadng, Morpheus. Your son will know as soon as he goes to their apartment.  I agree with you.  Kids are quite savvy about these matters nowadays.

If this were me, I would tell him before he sees her. You are obligated to be kind and fair to your son  His well being comes first.  He will feel your support and love if you tell him the facts of the matter.

As a suggestion, with others in the family, play it by ear. I would tell members of my own family. If her family asks, tell them to ask her.  I wouldn't say anything at work. Just the separation happened if anyone asks - incompatibility. It's no one's business there.

Good luck and thinking good thoughts for you.  I know this is sooooo difficult and very unfair.

Last edited by MJM017 (August 8, 2019 5:50 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

August 8, 2019 6:08 pm  #15

Following because I have a 5 year old and she does not notice (if she does she does not say) that daddy has boobies like mommy does, that he shaves his legs, wears shorts different than her friends dads, wears a shirt when swimming, etc

August 10, 2019 9:23 pm  #16

I think being honest with children in a sensitive and an age appropriate way is the best way forward. They're more perceptive than we give them credit for and it keeps the doors open for any conversations they may need to have.

What I'm trying to get across to my 10 year old son is it's OK to be who you are and to love who you love when you're both adults. It's secrets, lies and bullying that are not OK.

I guess one of my biggest fears is that if he would also be transgender, he would equate that with being abandoned because I left his dad.
For this reason I've never spoken out negatively about his Dad's changes but I do call out any bullying behaviour.

I don't think I'd handle it differently if he was older but I guess I'll only understand the difference with a teenager in a few years...

August 10, 2019 10:09 pm  #17

I just want to say, Elliecat, to you, and also to StraightSpouse 1979, how hard this must be for you.  My son was in his 20s when his father declared he was transgender, and it was a nightmare.  I can't imagine how much worse it would have been had my child been young.  What your spouses have done, and are willing to do, to your children makes me spitting mad.  I'm so sorry for what you've had to go through and are going through.

August 12, 2019 11:35 pm  #18

I wanted to reply and thank all of you for your helpful insights, advice, and personal stories.  I always felt it important to tell my children personally, and altogether, and to do that before speaking with my husband.  I had a "safe plan," and it went well.  My children were upset (21 son), worried (15 son), validated (24 daughter), compassionate (17 son).

I kept thinking that "lying is not love."  And I had an earworm of a religious choral piece that my grandfather had composed, called "The Truth Shall Set You Free." 

However, I also was very concerned that my children would not trust me if I told about their dad's sexuality.  How could they trust me with their own secrets?  Would they be able to understand the different nuances, of how when you are in a relationship, then the secrets are not your own?  I finally decided to just tell my story and focus on the abusive dynamics--because I believe the hidden sexual secrets are about abuse and manipulation too.  In telling them my story, I included how at a peak of emotional hostility from my husband, I discovered his phone history.  I told the kids "he had been looking at images and at sites for being with people who I could never be."  Something kind of lame like that.

The next day, my 15 yr old text raged at me for 45 min, then raged in my face for 50 min.  He told me I would have to live my life knowing I was selfish and had failed and not tried everything I could.  He said I cared more about my selfish selfish self than about him.  He got mad about "So Dad looked at what, dating apps?"  He also was just full of grief that if I could have just told him, or told all the siblings, they could have intervened and told their dad to stop it and change his (abusive) ways.  He also had so much grief about how he had learned his parents were not the people he though they were.  We were GARBAGE PARENTS! 

Then he also told me he had watched a TED talk about how marriages fail (and cheaters cheat) because they do not have enough sex.  Basically, my 15 son was suggesting that my husband was looking at "Dating apps" because I was not putting out enough.

I did not like that one bit.  I accepted the raging, and know I am "the safe parent."  But I was not going to allow my kids to think the marriage failed because I had not had enough sex with their dad.  Son kept pushing, and I told him finally, "Your dad was looking at sites for having sex with other people.  For decades.  I cannot stay married to someone who does not treat me with decency."

I kept thinking of all the advice others gave me here in this discussion, which I had finally swayed from.  I felt so mad at myself.  However, my therapist said, how could I expect myself to know just what was best.  I also realized that I was getting the fallout from the choice I made, but that I would have had different fallout if I had told all--I just did not know what that was.

However, it convinced me that I needed to push my husband to come clean with the children.  I had been asking him this for a few weeks. I had been telling him, "there is so much grief here, can you please share the truth with the children?"

As someone posted above, I had learned already that he just would not negotiate.  He would not have done it, IMO.  But I basically pushed him, based on 15 son's rage and grief, which husband had overheard.  He (husband) was super willing to just let me be the fall guy.

But something clicked for my husband, and he did it.  He came clean.  There is much more to this story. 

The children are in shock, I think.  But I could see how my 15 son was suffering from the same "great betrayal" feelings I have felt--of learning that his life was not what he thought it was.  I also later got an earful from 21 son expressing similar things but in his own personality.  "You all SUCK!  I can't STAND you!  It is all FAKE!"  Because of all this anger and suffering--and the other two children in their own ways--I believed it was better for them to know it all, and all at once--as quickly as possible.  I told my husband that for the sake of the kids, if he did not tell them, I would, but that I was giving him a chance out of respect, and out of my belief that this would help him heal his relationships with his children for the future.

I sat in on the dad-and-kids meeting, which made him mad, but I said it was my story too, and I deserved to hear what he had to say.  My husband gave me a chance to explain why I wanted to be there (he was peeved), and I said that the truth can be painful, but it is better than living in the fake.  I said I had wanted to tell them more when I spoke with them before, but that I believed that some of the story was their dad's to tell.  I had also sent husband an email before his therapy appointment that week, pretty much appealing to his sense of honor to love his children by stopping the lies.  To "restore truth to the foundation of our family" or something like that, so that our children could process and have happier lives.  I elaborated on the grief and anger of our 15 son and how traumatic it would be for the kids to have to reprocess additional information in the future.

Not only did my husband talk with them about his sexuality, he also talked about his abuse of me and the children--and how he wanted to be a "chain breaker."  He said that his mother had asked him to do this very thing when he was a teen. 

In the things my husband said, there was still an undertheme of "I wanted to make it work with your gorgeous mom," but "I wasn't enough for her."  UUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHH!

Still, it was amazing.  At one point beforehand, I found myself thinking, "you are not brave, you are a coward, because I had to push you to this, and you have worked on yourself at my expense--a year of emotional traction."  However, it is still his work, and really amazing that he did it.  Yes it came at my expense, but he still did it, and that required a lot of courage.  So I am trying to honor that.  I have never seen him so anxious as he was in the days before.  I am still so incredibly angry and hurt about it all.  But I do give him credit for this incredibly hard thing he has done--to be so honest and risk so much.

So now--rollercoaster craziness continues.  I am genuinely worried about my kids.  But I believe this was best.  My husband was able to tell his story, the children can process all the trauma at once, and (I hope) they know they can trust me to keep their secrets and to make sure they have the truth.  This will take time, but i belive my children will have more healthy emotional lives because of this.

Obviously this will take time.

Last edited by OnMyOwnTwoFeet (August 12, 2019 11:51 pm)

August 13, 2019 7:01 am  #19

OMOTF,

Wow..just Wow...what strength is asked of us.  Kudos and my hats off to you for taking one for the team so to speak and giving your kids all the honesty they could handle.

Teens will rage as you know and sometimes we have to just let them let it out.   I would usually keep mine going..asking is there anything else you want to tell me...yes dad your this and that...

Im,still,amazed you got your husband to say anything to the kids.   

I believe my GX simply told my teens ..your father did this and this is why we have to divorce now. I bet my life on it. She would never ever have any remorse or say she did anything wrong.  If you put a gun to her head she would lie.   Your husband sounds like he has some shred ..and i mean really,really tiny of the concept that he did wrong.   

My kids will never know the truth..its too late now for me to change whatever they know on my own without bad mouthing their mother.  If they should ask i have no problem telling my truth but they do not..my kids simply want a mom and dad and seem content in there lives now.

But your kids have honesty in their lives now where I and definitely my gx have shown mine it's ok to have secrets and keep things hidden.  My kids may never know and may never understand what i went through. Im ok with that..they get to keep the false person their mother is.  May god have mercy on my soul.

I admire your courage and love for your kids..  Years from now,you can look back with no regrets. My hats off to you.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

August 13, 2019 8:01 am  #20

You did the right thing.  You pulled the band-aid off in one stroke. Kudos to you.  Your children will hurt for awhile, they too have just lost an identity ..., of their parents and their parents’ marriage and an intact family.  Anger is the first phase of grieving and teen anger is the worst. You now have a foundation of truth to build on as they come back with questions and you can build the narrative and the new life.

All the best,

ADSJ

Board footera