OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 4, 2021 6:31 am  #31

Re: Your experience with lack of affection and intimacy?

longwayhome wrote:

Ordinary guy, Let me first say I may not be understanding your post correctly. If you mean to say that your role, as you see it at the moment, is to help in your wife’s self-actualization? If this is correct? Then this response is intended in that vein.

Please know I also don’t mean any of this to sound hurtful or harsh.

In my opinion, Its not ever within another person’s power/control to help another person self-actualize, especially the other spouse taking that role. I don’t think anybody should push someone to self actualize. Personally, I think that could become very high conflict, very quickly.

You know, when I initially discovered my husband’s nine month same sex affair. I was stunned, shock, lost for words, totally threw me into another universe. I’m a pretty sensitive person and I just immediately went into this deep sorrow space. It’s also how I believe I was able to get any real truth from him, but I wouldn’t make this realization until much later.

Anyways, all that to put a bit of perspective to what I want to share next. Once he admitted his same sex attraction to me, went about talking how it could be worked out in terms of opening the marriage, etc. He let so much out of the bag - nobody could stuff all that back in the bag. He thought he could and tried for the next 15 months. I never allowed room for him to change his original story.

I could never open my marriage, he should have known this about me. But he lost himself in all the possibilities. It almost destroyed me and he didn’t even blink an eye to notice.

Today, I believe he has come to some level of acceptance in terms of his same sex attraction, doesn’t like the word gay at all. That is no where near the self realization that is required to live openly. But it is him accepting a part of himself, that I think, he always hated and tried so hard to deny.

The only thing to do in many of our situations is get out of the way - this was never our fight to fight, it’s theirs, we got dragged in unknowingly.

Again, just sharing my opinion and I hope my post isn’t offensive to you, it most certainly isn’t the intent.

Please take care, be well.

It is not within my power to help her realise anything. If we are dealing with deep seated denial, then the psychological manifestation of this is evident in the vulnerable self behaviours. This takes the form of projection on to me in the form of abuse. The trope that developed over the last few years was that I was “always in the way”.  I couldn’t understand what exactly I was in the way of, until I stepped back and looked at the changes in behaviour over a period of years. I asked if she would entertain the idea of going to relationship counselling to help us rediscover some sort of intimate connection in an effort to help me recover from the deep depression I am battling. I also said that I am being treated in line with domestic abuse recovery. I asked if at the very least, the abusive behaviour could stop to allow myself some breathing space and that I was frankly becoming increasingly desperate and suicidal. What did I get as a response. That I have effectively been a cancer in her life for the last thirty years and that we should just call it a day and split up. I have said over and over again that I want to try and work things out, but there is no desire on her part to even acknowledge the fact that her treatment of me is abnormal at all.
 If TGT lies at the her mental issues, then I think that as a fellow human let alone husband I have a duty to try and get her to accept this. This is not for my benefit, but for my son’s. He does not need to see his Mother behave like this. I don’t want him to think that this is what a relationship with anyone should look like. This whole fragile ego and self-hatred thing projected on to me  could be down to a deeply repressed and denied unconscious true self.

4877 days….

Last edited by Ordinary guy (July 4, 2021 7:11 am)

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret. It is only with the heart that one can see clearly that which is essential is invisible to the eye.

July 4, 2021 6:51 am  #32

"I have a duty to try and get her to accept this [that she is a lesbian]."   

No, you don't.  Moreover, you can't, and it isn't something you should even be trying to do.   This is one of the harder lessons we all have to learn.  TGT is not ours to fight or manage; that is for our spouses to do, and whether or not they do or will is out of our hands.  

It doesn't matter whether "TGT lies at the heart of her mental issues" or whether it is "not for [your] benefit, but for [your] son's,"  YOU cannot GET HER to accept anything, whether it is for you or for your son.  You don't have that kind of power.  You can insist, you can beg, you can explain, but SHE is the one who has to do this work.  Not you, not you helping or pushing her.  Not you  Her.  She, not you, is the person who is gay, and she is the person who has to come to terms with this--or not. 

Even the most generous and loving impulse of a spouse cannot accomplish this coming-to-terms for the gay spouse, and, in fact, because we are married to them, we complicate that coming to terms with themselves by our very presence, let alone our efforts to help.  The history or our marriage, their history of suppressing or denying their sexuality, the years of projections, their need to rationalize their behavior, their fear of a life lived honestly as a gay person, even their love of us, such at is may be--all these make their job more fraught.  We have to get out of the way, not double down on our efforts to "fix" our spouse and our spouse's problems.  

She is the one who has to deal with her conflicted self and sexuality.  If she has a "deeply repressed and denied unconscious true self" she's going to come to terms with that, or not, because SHE decides she needs to do so, not because you do.  You can't make her do anything.

Your job is to focus on yourself, and to understanding and healing from the "whole fragile ego and self-hatred thing projected on to" you.   The only mind you have control of or over here is yours.   Accepting that is a tough but necessary step in your own healing.

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (July 4, 2021 7:04 am)

July 4, 2021 7:23 am  #33

Well the long and short of it is:

From a risk point of view as a Father, do I step away and leave my son in the house in the hope that he doesn’t become someone else to project on. How would you feel if you put your own self interest above that of your own son, only to see him suffer in anyway for it?

Nietzsche said “He who has a why to live can bear almost any how”.

If I can find the “why”, I will then deal with the how.

4877 days….

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret. It is only with the heart that one can see clearly that which is essential is invisible to the eye.

July 4, 2021 10:16 am  #34

Of course you don't abandon your son.  What you do is plot a course for parenting that accounts for a partner's disordered behavior.  

By the way, I do have a son.  And he was always my first concern in the whole trans nightmare and divorce.  He still is. 

July 4, 2021 11:25 am  #35

The why to live is for your child.  The why to get away from the abuser is to heal so you can be a good father.  Your intelligence, wit, and compassion for others comes through in your posts.  When you start to recover from the abuse you will have much to offer other people in addition to your son. 

July 4, 2021 11:40 am  #36

Lynne wrote:

The why to live is for your child.  The why to get away from the abuser is to heal so you can be a good father.  Your intelligence, wit, and compassion for others comes through in your posts.  When you start to recover from the abuse you will have much to offer other people in addition to your son. 

Thank you Lynne, I find your freely offered and kind words personally touching. A shaft of sunlight in my grey. X

July 5, 2021 12:04 am  #37

Ordinary guy,

I didn't have children, and I would do the same.  My idea of marriage is to help my spouse face difficult challenges. Regardless of what happens, you can sleep at night knowing you tried your best.

Being gay is still anathema. That's a fact. I don't excuse my GIDXH's terrible behavior.  Understanding it gives me humanity and grace.  Healing's not a zero sum game.

I hope your stress decreases and you regain your health, Ordinary guy.

Last edited by MJM017 (July 5, 2021 12:05 am)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

July 5, 2021 9:48 am  #38

We all have a different situation and follow different paths.  I had to get away from my exh first before I could function. He was tripping me up with his passive aggressive kindness. It was a cover for his snake-like real behavior.

I had to get the venom he poured on me out of my system. I also didn't want the late GIDXH's behavior to turn me into a snake - taking advantage of loved ones and strangers. Have seen it happen to others.

Keeping the anger locked up inside will do that and making your daily choices about how you behave built on rage, revenge and personal enrichment( aka stealing).  It's tempting, but I don't want that ever no matter how terrible my life becomes.

My original post here was to support Ordinary guy. Hope it goes well for him! :-)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

July 5, 2021 2:12 pm  #39

longwayhome wrote:

Perhaps if these situations were out in the open and research was actually conducted, there would be better therapies that could be developed and real help could be offered to people instead of what we are all trying to do on our own.

You've hit the nail on the head.

Wishing there were avenues to fund this work. It seems SSN is doing initial research, but their focus seems (rightfully) split. Research is necessary to properly communicate the severity of the issue and advocate for the creation of proper support therapies and material.

longwayhome wrote:

Edited to add: you want to see the real damage it does, read the stories on the new subreddit. It’s mental abuse and they can’t stop it to help themselves. There in one telling her story now. This woman is in pure mental anguish and she is allowing herself to be subjected to this. My heart breaks for her. All to stay in her MOM.
https://www.reddit.com/r/StraightBiPartners/

This sub brings me to tears.

MJM wrote:

I don't excuse my GIDXH's terrible behavior.  Understanding it gives me humanity and grace. Healing's not a zero sum game.

Helpful. Thank you, MJM.

July 5, 2021 3:38 pm  #40

longwayhome wrote:

........Edited to add: you want to see the real damage it does, read the stories on the new subreddit......

I read them and find it very difficult to not comment

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera