OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 2, 2016 2:12 pm  #1

When is it "outing" someone and when is it "telling the truth?"

Cameron, if you're still here ---

Originally I asked this under a different thread, but the issue comes up often enough that I think it merits its own thread. Most of us have our own take and opinion on the matter of "outing" our spouses, whether ex- or still married to us. It often comes up when friends or relatives ask questions about the reasons for getting divorced or separated: how to handle the information that our spouses are gay/lesbian/bi, etc? If our spouses are fully out and have no issues with us talking about it, the answer seems obvious: tell the truth if there's no reason to keep it hidden.

But when does "telling the truth" become "outing" someone?

Those who out someone for no reason other than to cause harm or embarrassment deserve all the contempt and disapproval, even criminal proceedings if possible, that can be heaped upon them. I am thinking of teenagers who commit suicide after having been outed at school, like the college student who jumped of the George Washington Bridge a few years ago. That's a form of bullying to me, and I think people who out someone like that should be held accountable for the consequences.

Then there are the public figures, the Ted Haggards, the George Rekers, Gov. McGreevey, the Larry Craigs, the Roy Cohens, etc. If they are hurting private citizens from their bully pulpits, hiding their own sexuality at the same time, I am all for outing them. Not to humiliate them, but to bring awareness to the hypocrisy and the double standards, to prevent them from being able to do it again, even to send a message to any other public figures who do the same thing, that they risk being exposed and will suffer the consequences. I'll even go so far as to say that outing such public figures is a public service in and of itself.

But then I bring it down to the personal level. There are those us caught between telling our stories fully and honestly, but not wanting to harm our spouses, or add fuel to the fire, or exacerbate family disputes over who is lying and who is being honest. For years, I went along with the idea that it's up to the gay person to decide when to come out, and to whom, and how to do it. For the most part I still believe that, but having lived through that now with my ex, I do question it.

I had inklings early on but never brought it up; I was "liberal," "accepting," "progressive" "understanding" to such an extent that, in a way, I had set up my own little version of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" (meaning, in my case, don't ask any questions if I wasn't prepared to handle the answer). In the aftermath, I learned that I was not quite as understanding and accepting as I thought I was ("it's okay, as long as it's not in my backyard" syndrome), and while that is excruciating for me to admit about myself, it is the truth.  And even if that weren't so, I'm not sure 'how" I would have brought it up, or what is the best way - maybe I should say, the least destructive way - to bring it up?

One answer I learned from someone else, when people ask me "Didn't you know?" or "How could you not know?" or anything anywhere close to that - the incredulity that I could have been so blind or so stupid - is to make no attempt to explain myself, but put the question back on them somehow: "Well, how did you not know?" or "Are you saying you knew all along, but you never told me?" First, it's a rude question, and second, it implies that they would have known or figured it out, even when I didn't. It's smug to ask something like that; I just put it back on them.

Cameron, I'd be interested in hearing your views (or any other formerly heterosexually married gay person's views) on what I am going to call "appropriate outing" as it relates to us and our spouses. I understand respecting my ex-wife's privacy, but I don't see why I should be expected to compromise my integrity to keep a secret for her (not that I've had to do it, she never asked me; just using myself as an example). This gets to be such a sticky wicket if the straight spouse and the gay spouse are not aligned in how to proceed going forward.

And what about the notion that keeping the secret for them just reinforces the idea that being gay is bad? Having been through the fall-out of that, I don't want to do it again.

How did you and your ex manage this when you came out, whom to tell, or not to tell, and how and when to tell, etc. Did you ask her to keep it a secret for you? What was her attitude towards gay people before vs after, if you know?

As a corollary question, how did you decide to whom, and when, and how you came out? Did you tell your ex first, or did you test it first on a counselor or therapist, or did you first tell a trusted friend or relative? The reason I ask this is I know I was not the first person my ex came out to, and I know that has to do with fear vs trust and the nature of the relationship. I'm curious to hear other versions from anyone who has done it and how it went, what would they have done differently, or what did they expect the reaction was going to be and how close did it turn in reality?  All of that...   We seem to repeat what we think those reasons are, but I'd like to hear directly from someone who did it.  Sorry to ask if you've already answered it somewhere else.

I said it before, but I wish we had more input from gay/lesbian people who have been down this road, at times it feels to me like we are leading each other around in the dark, and at those times I want to get a reality check.

Last edited by BryonM (September 2, 2016 7:19 pm)

"I have given you my soul, leave me my name!"  - John Proctor, The Crucible
"Question everything you've been told; hold fast to what is true and good." - I Thessalonians 5:21

September 2, 2016 4:11 pm  #2

Re: When is it "outing" someone and when is it "telling the truth?"

Speak the truth as much as you think is appropriate and do it with as much understanding as possible. If your narcissistic GIDX is trying to make you look crazy or delusional, like you have made this up (like any one would want to live a nightmare like this), keep speaking the truth. They pulled us into their closeted lies. Why do we have to continue to enable them to hide behind us?

September 2, 2016 6:32 pm  #3

I grappled with this for a long time as ex was still in denial, even to me. I decided to tell my family and closest friends for support. I told my adult children too, for support and transparency.

Later I decided to tell my truth to others in my wider circle, also adding that if they know of anyone going thru similar, I'd be glad to meet & support them if needed.

I did NOT tell his family, or put anything on social media that could embarrass him. Yes it's my truth but he didn't want his family to know. As a result, I'm estranged from them, don't see them, and who knows what he says about me?

It's the best I could come up with.

September 2, 2016 6:35 pm  #4

How can you "out" someone who denies being gay?  Many of our ex spouses have never "come out"and probably never will.  If I tell a few people that the underlying reason for our divorce was that he is gay, am I "outing" him?  Outing him from what?  He claims he's not gay, but I have a right to tell my story, "my truth", if you will.

Also, if looking at the possibility of remarriage, wouldn't the new spouse deserve to know that your ex spouse was gay?  If you tell a potential new spouse that your ex spouse is gay, is that "outing" your ex, or is it holding up your character and integrity, and telling the possible new spouse information that they absolutely have a right to know.  If I was considering remarriage to a previously divorced person, I would certainly want to know the reason(s) the first marriage did not work for them.  I think I would owe it to a possible new spouse to tell them why my first marriage failed.

I assume that my ex will never come out and I am not going to refrain from bringing the subject up if it seems appropriate at any given time.  In keeping with Bryon's sentiment above, I would never just make some big announcement to my ex's co-workers or anything just out of spite or for revenge, but I have no reason to not discuss it as things come up with different people.

September 10, 2016 10:25 pm  #5

So many questions Byron!  To keep this post from being too long, I'll try to keep the answers brief and to the point.

BryonM wrote:

I'd be interested in hearing your views (or any other formerly heterosexually married gay person's views) on what I am going to call "appropriate outing" as it relates to us and our spouses. I understand respecting my ex-wife's privacy, but I don't see why I should be expected to compromise my integrity to keep a secret for her (not that I've had to do it, she never asked me; just using myself as an example). This gets to be such a sticky wicket if the straight spouse and the gay spouse are not aligned in how to proceed going forward.

Every closeted person feels it is their right to keep their sexuality a secret.  By definition, being closeted means not coming out, and as such, "appropriate outing" doesn't exist - at least from their point of view.

That said, unless a straight spouse wants their gay-ex to stay in the closet, there will inevitably be times when the straight spouse must make a personal and/or moral decision about outing their ex.  My opinion is that straight spouses have every right to say as much as they like, especially because they were victimized by a fundamental secret.  However, it's good to keep in mind that some people don't want to hear the truth and will punish the messenger.  I therefore believe it is in the straight spouse's best interest to be thoughtful about any information they share. 

For anyone who is unsure about what to say, I'd advocate for a conservative approach where you provide minimal information, and only when necessary.  You can always share more in the future but you can't take back something you wish you'd never said.

BryonM wrote:

How did you and your ex manage this when you came out, whom to tell, or not to tell, and how and when to tell, etc. Did you ask her to keep it a secret for you? What was her attitude towards gay people before vs after, if you know?

My ex was publicly humiliated in college when a guy she'd been dating cheated on her with men and everyone knew but her. The very last thing she wanted was to be humiliated again and so she preferred that I stay in the closet.  I mostly have, especially when it comes to people she's known for years.

BryonM wrote:

how did you decide to whom, and when, and how you came out? Did you tell your ex first, or did you test it first on a counselor or therapist, or did you first tell a trusted friend or relative? The reason I ask this is I know I was not the first person my ex came out to, and I know that has to do with fear vs trust and the nature of the relationship. I'm curious to hear other versions from anyone who has done it and how it went, what would they have done differently, or what did they expect the reaction was going to be and how close did it turn in reality?

I've never felt that my sexuality defines me so it's not in my nature to quickly out myself to others.  If people ask or make assumptions, I don't hide or deny. I'm not out to my family, but that's because I'm not close to them.  I am out to my kids.  I told them about six months after my wife and I separated.  As Millennials, they took it in stride.

Generally speaking, I think many closeted married people come out to therapists or close gay friends first.  Spouses aren't usually first (a trial run or two with others often feels necessary in order to gain confidence), but they are usually near the top of the list.

If you'd like to hear some diverse coming out stories, YouTube has hundreds of them - mostly from young unmarried people, but not exclusively.

September 11, 2016 3:02 am  #6

Cameron wrote:

So many questions Byron!  To keep this post from being too long, I'll try to keep the answers brief and to the point.

BryonM wrote:

I'd be interested in hearing your views (or any other formerly heterosexually married gay person's views) on what I am going to call "appropriate outing" as it relates to us and our spouses. I understand respecting my ex-wife's privacy, but I don't see why I should be expected to compromise my integrity to keep a secret for her (not that I've had to do it, she never asked me; just using myself as an example). This gets to be such a sticky wicket if the straight spouse and the gay spouse are not aligned in how to proceed going forward.

Every closeted person feels it is their right to keep their sexuality a secret.  By definition, being closeted means not coming out, and as such, "appropriate outing" doesn't exist - at least from their point of view.

That said, unless a straight spouse wants their gay-ex to stay in the closet, there will inevitably be times when the straight spouse must make a personal and/or moral decision about outing their ex.  My opinion is that straight spouses have every right to say as much as they like, especially because they were victimized by a fundamental secret.  However, it's good to keep in mind that some people don't want to hear the truth and will punish the messenger.  I therefore believe it is in the straight spouse's best interest to be thoughtful about any information they share. 

For anyone who is unsure about what to say, I'd advocate for a conservative approach where you provide minimal information, and only when necessary.  You can always share more in the future but you can't take back something you wish you'd never said.

BryonM wrote:

My ex was publicly humiliated in college when a guy she'd been dating cheated on her with men and everyone knew but her. The very last thing she wanted was to be humiliated again and so she preferred that I stay in the closet.  I mostly have, especially when it comes to people she's known for years.

BryonM wrote:

how did you decide to whom, and when, and how you came out? Did you tell your ex first, or did you test it first on a counselor or therapist, or did you first tell a trusted friend or relative? The reason I ask this is I know I was not the first person my ex came out to, and I know that has to do with fear vs trust and the nature of the relationship. I'm curious to hear other versions from anyone who has done it and how it went, what would they have done differently, or what did they expect the reaction was going to be and how close did it turn in reality?

I've never felt that my sexuality defines me so it's not in my nature to quickly out myself to others.  If people ask or make assumptions, I don't hide or deny. I'm not out to my family, but that's because I'm not close to them.  I am out to my kids.  I told them about six months after my wife and I separated.  As Millennials, they took it in stride.

Generally speaking, I think many closeted married people come out to therapists or close gay friends first.  Spouses aren't usually first (a trial run or two with others often feels necessary in order to gain confidence), but they are usually near the top of the list.

If you'd like to hear some diverse coming out stories, YouTube has hundreds of them - mostly from young unmarried people, but not exclusively.

Cameron 1st off thank you for answering these questions. I respect you for that. My gay ex told me he was sleeping with a friend of ours. Someone who had been around us all the time. This hurt is something I've never felt before. I did tell our mutual friends begged them not to treat him any different even though he was treating all of us.  Differently there is so much to the story I wish I could privately talk to you.  I always wanted the opinion of the other side.  For in my mind I feel like I'm going crazy.  My ex called me a narcissistic sociopath every since that day I have been obsessed with it. Took every test to see if I am none of Said I was so why can't I shake it?

September 11, 2016 11:16 am  #7

Hi June - If you register on this site we can privately communicate. 

Just from the little you've said it sounds like you were betrayed in such an incredibly painful way that you're still reeling from the hurt of it.  Being betrayed that brutally doesn't make you a narcissistic sociopath - it's actually quite understandable that you'd need to work hard to make sense of what happened.  I'd love to help, if at all possible.

September 11, 2016 4:42 pm  #8

June,
.." ex called me a narcissistic sociopath .."

..and you believe him why?  I've learned in the last year and half if my exs lips are moving shes lying.
So many horrible things she said and combined with the cheating and betrayal..well she has no integrity or morality.  How here and her girlfriend can promise each other anything and be believed I do not know.
Just remember to act indifferent around him else you have to listen to the crap.

Last edited by Rob (September 11, 2016 4:43 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

September 12, 2016 3:07 pm  #9

Cameron,

Thanks for answering my questions. Yes, I had a lot, but they all stemmed from not having had the experience of "coming out," I have only a vague understanding of what it takes to do it. I can't think of anything analogous for a straight person, except for how we say we go into the closet when our spouses leave it - our reluctance to discuss openly what happened, for whatever reason that reluctance is. But I've learned that not discussing it just makes it worse because it starts to eat away at us from the inside. That, I think is what the analogy is between us and our spouses, the eating away at us from the inside.

Two more questions, if I may:

a) What triggered you to come out? Was it voluntary or involuntary - did you decide to do it, did someone else prompt you to do it, or were you caught doing something?

b) We usually start out asking "Are you gay?" because we strongly suspect it already, but we get the instant denial, which tells me that asking it doesn't work. That instant denial sends us into crazy mode, questioning ourselves, and yet we still live with that suspicion, and so we go round and round in circles in our heads. Asking the question often sets us up for failure to get to the truth, because it offers an instant out for him/her, all they have to do is say 'No," and the roadblock is in place. I think it's because the question too often sounds like an accusation. I once said it sounds so "medieval" to try to force a confession.

Once we have enough suspicions (I hate to even use the word "suspicions;" the word alone makes it sound bad), but we have enough reasons to ask the question, is there a more effective way we can encourage our spouse to come out?

Notice that I am trying to approach it from being sensitive to his/her fears - now that I understand better what it is - and trying my damndest not to come at it from being angry or suspicious or accusatory. That is very hard because the hurt naturally leads to anger. And to be 100% honest, some of that anger was at myself, because on some level, I already knew, and had known, but chose not to believe it. Anyway, I think I would have and could have handled it better if I had understood what was going on in my own marriage, and been more honest with myself, too. That's all water under the bridge now, but there's still something to learn from it.

And this instant labeling of narcissism, too, which I think is a mis-diagnosis, or a misunderstanding of what narcissism is. I don't mean to discount anyone else's experience, it's the label and the word that I question. Cameron, you don't come across as narcissistic in your writing, you sound practical, reasonable and based in common-sense. Would you call yourself a narcissist, or any of your gay friends who were married and came out later?  Or how would you categorize it?

I get a picture in my mind of a frightened dog hiding under the porch, and how do I get him to come out from under there; I wouldn't throw rocks or sticks or shout at him, and I wouldn't keep poking at him with a sharp stick. That's only going to get him to show his fangs and come after me, and bite me in self-defense. Instead, I would set out a little dish of water and food and then back off and wait to see what he does. Is there a way for us to do that for our spouses?

Last edited by BryonM (September 13, 2016 2:41 am)

"Question everything you've been told; hold fast to what is true and good." - I Thessalonians 5:21

September 12, 2016 4:47 pm  #10

Thanks JK.

It's hard because we are so conditioned to think, communicate, interact in certain set ways, and most of the time, those ways are self-serving, or at least seen as self-serving, even when we don't intend it that way. That's just human nature.  But it strikes me recently that so many of our stories, if not all of them, start out by us asking the question, and immediately the story takes off in the wrong direction with a denial. Which tells me it's ineffective to start out by asking that question.

Did any of us ever ask that question "Are you gay?" and get "Why, yes, as matter of fact, I am; thank you for asking," as the answer?
No.

The question doesn't work.

Last edited by BryonM (September 13, 2016 2:20 am)

Board footera