OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 6, 2016 9:42 am  #31

Re: Mixed Orientation Marriages - Pathways to Success

vicky wrote:

First thing I said was it's fair to have a negative view if you were scorned.  When I see someone post about their lying cheating spouse I stay out of it as it's not my situation.  When I first started here the things that were stated here about my husband were flat out untrue.  He was supposedly a cheater, and would drain my finances, I should get myself lawyered up and spy on him to get evidence etc.  Despite that I kept saying I didn't think these things were true it was being drilled into my head that I was wrong.  When I decided to stay I was told good luck you'll be back here and why would I want to stay etc.  Based on the advice here I could have made some terrible mistakes that I can't take back.  Just because that was your experience doesn't make it the truth for all.  So when I see someone who seems like they have a decent spouse I'll chime in to offer a different perspective.
Vicky

No, I understand that you said the "scorned" part, but what you are seeing in a lot of the hurt and "vitriol" in these posts would have to do with the "I feel cheated" aspect. I feel cheated because my wife's stated sexual orientation has changed. You mentioned many on here don't give validity to bi-sexuality...why would I have to validate anyone's sexual orientation? Someone is gay? Great, have a wonderful life, you don't need my blessing. But my wife coming out as gay (initially Bi), THAT affects me directly. So yeah, I'm a little upset over her homosexual feelings/orientation.

When you come to a board like this, you are simply getting other people's perspective. I suppose every time someone posts their advice, they should qualify the advice with "this is my experience, yours may be different", but really, are people not intelligent enough to know they are ultimately responsible for the actions they take? There are some hard words of advice given here, but sometimes people come in totally shellshocked and act totally obtuse in regards to their situation. They need a slight wake-up call. Like I said before, I read situation after situation that mirror my experience, and sure enough, as I travel down the path it seems like things are panning out like others have claimed.

So, to keep on topic, my wife and I are totally trying to figure out how to move forward right now (a MOM). We are trying to connect (at whatever capacity that will be), and create a positive environment in our home. This board allows me to speak frankly, and also gives me input as we walk through this. I wouldn't view this as a feel-good, sunny, nurturing MOM environment (though those things do come about on here), I see this as an emergency room + an Alcohol Anonymous type environment. I ain't pretty, but it saves lives.

October 6, 2016 3:17 pm  #32

vicky wrote:

There's people like me who exist who are married/common law with their best friend.  No infidelity, love being in each others company, and genuinely care for each other.

If there is no infidelity and you're both happy, then there isn't a problem, is there?  I don't think that problems between mixed orientation partners arise from the mere fact that they're mixed as much as they do from the fact that their orientation typically results in different wants and needs than the other is able or willing to provide.  If that weren't the case, then most of us wouldn't even know there was an issue.  We see a problem, and then the underlying cause is discovered.  If the underlying issue that caused the problem to rear its ugly head cannot be changed, then I highly doubt the problems will dry up by simple admittance of them.  But again, If they do, then there isn't a problem.  It's when the problem cannot be changed that people often find themselves here - a place where oh-so-many of us have gone 'round and 'round in the revolving door of trying to make it work, only to realize that this was a pipe dream all along.

vicky wrote:

Bi means 'twice or two' for those here that don't know it.

Yes, I'm well aware.  It means they're sexually attracted to both sexes.  So???  It doesn't mean equally, necessarily.  And being bi doesn't mean they have to have sex with both sexes on a regular basis in order to be sexually fulfilled.  But our bi spouses would have us somehow believe this.  I'm attracted to LOT of men - does it mean anything?  No.  I'm married to THIS one.  I committed myself to him - took vows, even.  So it doesn't matter what others I'm attracted to.  I feel the same way about bi.  If they bi person is seeking others out outside of the marriage, then they're either just plain old cheaters, or they are lying about being attracted to the person they're committed to.  Again, this goes back to whether there's an issue rearing it's head or not.  If I were attracted to women 90% of the time to 10% of the time with men, but it didn't affect my marriage because I am aroused by the man I have, then it wouldn't even impact my marriage, would it?  It wouldn't be a problem.  People aren't here because there isn't a problem - they're here because there IS a problem.

vicky wrote:

This site has a reputation on other sites as being negative and nasty.

What sites - the ones where the focus is on coming out, but not worrying about their spouse and family?  That's okay with me, then.  I've been on those sites too, and think the same of them.  To each his own.  I never see gay bashing here, and I rarely see name calling.  We have been hurt by our gay spouses, and we don't feel benevolent toward gay spouses who are doing the same thing to others.

vicky wrote:

This is why I continue to lurk here.  To find the people who are like me, people who love their spouses unconditionally and want to find their own way together.

There is a fine line between loving unconditionally and being a doormat.  If you loved your husband unconditionally, that would mean that your love knows no boundaries - that even if he murdered or molested one of your children, your love would still prevail.  Is that the truth?  I doubt it.  We all have boundaries.  Mine may just be in a different place than yours.  And that's okay.  But it's not okay to imply that we didn't love our spouses unconditionally if we weren't willing to accept them when they were not honoring us any longer.  I may have been able to accept my ex if he told me he had gay tendencies, but he didn't.  He said nothing.  For SIXTEEN YEARS.  His actions said something was wrong, but he denied, denied, denied.  And it hurt me greatly.  I was not about to continue to go on feeling unloved by him because I felt I owed it to him to love him despite his mistreatment of me.  And I won't encourage anyone else to do so, either.

Can MOMs work?  Sure - I guess so.  If you are both in agreement on what works for the two of you, and there is trust, then more power to ya!  But it would be irresponsible of me to not mention that the st8 partner in said situation often finds out later that it wasn't working for their partner, and then the pressure is on again to make it work in another way by giving more (or worse - they find that their partner never did tell them they weren't satisfied, but instead, simply started/continue cheating).  It doesn't necessarily happen right away - it often takes years for these patterns to reveal themselves.  Those of us who've ridden that sick merry-go-round only wish for others not to even get on the ride without knowing full well what they MAY be in for.  And so we warn.  And then we're mean, jaded and discouraging.  Would we love to be wrong? Absolutely!  It would mean there's more hope for these types of situations.  But sadly, we haven't seen those types of situations work out very often.  I myself was in a MOM for over a decade and a half - Iiiiiii just didn't know it!  And so I for one won't  blow sunshine up anyone else's ass, no matter how they tell me I'm mean and jaded for not standing on the sidelines and shaking my pom-pons.  I'm no cheerleader - I'm a freaking paramedic.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

October 6, 2016 4:46 pm  #33

"Yes, I'm well aware.  It means they're sexually attracted to both sexes.  So???  It doesn't mean equally, necessarily.  And being bi doesn't mean they have to have sex with both sexes on a regular basis in order to be sexually fulfilled.  But our bi spouses would have us somehow believe this.  I'm attracted to LOT of men - does it mean anything?  No.  I'm married to THIS one.  I committed myself to him - took vows, even.  So it doesn't matter what others I'm attracted to.  I feel the same way about bi.  If they bi person is seeking others out outside of the marriage, then they're either just plain old cheaters, or they are lying about being attracted to the person they're committed to.  Again, this goes back to whether there's an issue rearing it's head or not.  If I were attracted to women 90% of the time to 10% of the time with men, but it didn't affect my marriage because I am aroused by the man I have, then it wouldn't even impact my marriage, would it?  It wouldn't be a problem.  People aren't here because there isn't a problem - they're here because there IS a problem.
"
Kel hits my thought on MOM right on the head here. And this is something that I've posed to my wife: "I understand you're attracted to women, but we're married, so what does it matter?" Her inability to give me a solid answer to this question makes me believe she is leaving options open for her future in case she just can't reconnect with me, then she is free and clear to pursue a different relationship. Really, if someone is Bi, what practically does that look like in a monogamous relationship? If being in a MOM means an open marriage, then lets just call it that. If it means that you don't act on your ssa, then why does it even become something that is a stated issue in a marriage? Is it simply to explain a decrease or lack of sexual intimacy with the straight spouse?

And this: "​I'm no cheerleader - I'm a freaking paramedic."
All I have to say is, "right on Kel." Altruism is great, but we live in a messy world, let people have a place that's messy. Sometimes the best encouragement that can be given is the encouragement to stand up for yourself. It ain't pretty, but at least it's real.

October 6, 2016 5:40 pm  #34

MOM, my 2 cents, is a roll of the dice move, you may go all in and lose big in the long run.  My view, life is too short for that. Is the risk worth it or the payoff in the long term? Each individual in these relationships need to ask themselves this before entering into such a relationship and if they don't they are fools. My humble opinion is that in the long-term they will not work. It's difficult enough for two people to make a relationship work let alone three. Someone, somewhere, somehow is going to lose out. Deny all you like but this is reality. If both persons go into this saying they are str8 then all of a sudden one half of the couple now wants this...well it's your life, just realize you might be hurt in the long run. If you can accept this, then good for you. Personally, I think many young people today are naive to what is coming down the road at them. They are going to learn their lessons and learn them hard. Personally, no way in hell, I'd walk. I know myself well enough to know I couldn't live with this. I'd be out the door so fast it'd make his head spin, love doesn't conquer all as we've been mislead to believe. It's too risky getting involved with a SSA spouse/partner and they know it and lie about who they are. Cake, cake, there is no cake, it's all a lie!

How many SSA men/women are going to allow their wives/gf, husbands/bf to do this if they really love the woman/man in their life? They're not, this isn't real love, holding onto something that isn't real. These types of relationships are one sided. I'd love for Sean and the other gay/lesbian here to address this. How would they have felt if their str8 spouse cheated on them with another man/woman? Would they have been relieved or pissed about it? They are the only ones who can fully address this. Men by nature are very territorial regardless if they are gay/hetero. It's a male trait because they are male. Some women also exhibit these traits, not all.  

I've already been on bi websites and read articles on this issue. One poll I saw, bisexual men admitted they would have a hard time with this if their wife/gf had an affair outside of their relationship even though he was having sex with men even with her knowing or on the dl. My eyebrows beelined to my forehead when I read these responses. Really???!!! I thought. Why? Because these men are going to be very concerned with legitimacy of their children or future children. Why do you think Greek women in ancient times were keep to their homes? They were not allowed outside of their homes, not even to shop, and often times had their own quarters where only their father/husband/brothers/male guardian could enter. So their men could live their SSA lifestyle and keep the sanctity of their legitimate offspring their heirs. This is a historically known fact. We are seeing history repeating itself here and as Sean said this is a form of slavery toward women or men living in these relationships.  He is absolutely correct.

How is the SSA male going to feel if he let some stranger or his active hookup have relations with his wife and she gets pregnant by the third party? Condoms break everyday people, birth control isn't fool proof. He is going to be pissed as hell and he will be at fault - they both will. Hello paternity testing! Not to mention the safe sex and health issues over the barebacking/breeding thing. How is a judge going to rule on this?  Will the legal husband now have to pay child support or the hookup?  I'd find it funny if they both had to pay. Reality is, this is selfishness even if some can't see it. What if the husband is so pissed, finds out the child isn't his then walks. Then what happens to the woman and the child? Crap shoot! The way I see it, this is a total lack of respect for a person you claim you love above all else. What's the point of the relationship as Kel wisely said? If they are honest upfront and you go in all knowing setting parameters that is an entirely different thing. The people here on this website, the majority of them were lied to by their partner for whatever reason. This is a person who is a liar and can't be trusted. This is a total game changer. I understand fully society is in a transition with everything out in the open now vs. years of many having to hide their sexual preference. I get it. 

The smart thing to do is stay single, have all the sex partners you want and not risk hurting someone in the long run. Flat out don't marry. Marriage is a legally binding contract. You can't change the rules in the middle or just after going into one. Yeah you're basically friends with benefits. What's the point? What about you're own self-respect? You're own happiness? Shouldn't you ask yourself are you really that much of a giver or very co-dependent?  Trust me, many are going to wake up in their late 30's, 40's, and 50's discovering they are not very happy because their own needs: sexually, mentally, and emotionally are not being meet in these relationships. Your SSA partner's attention is going to be divided?  Face the facts this is a shitty reality. Is this what you really want? This is not what true relationships are, be they SS or hetero, relationships don't work this way. Funny thing about the bi definition, shouldn't it really be called tri-sexual? Personally, I find the definition misleading. Because it's not just two but three in these occurrences.  

Being the old woman I am, what I'm finding scary is that so many young people today can't seem to get a grasp that this isn't what a relationship is all about. Why?  Because they are listening to all of this BS, that is why? Because of these situations they are causing a breakdown in the stability of society. What is wrong with having morals and ethics in today's society regardless of your sexual orientation? As much as we may not like it, morals and ethics in our society are a faucet of all our relationships rather we chose to believe this or not.  The very sad thing, is that decades from now we're going to have alot of sad people walking around. Many are going to wake up one day and go WTF.  Then we'll see a change of tune on these issues.  I'm old enough to know you can't have it both ways.  Life doesn't work like this.  Very few people are able to make these relationships work.  Don't fool yourself, you'd better do hard core research into this before starting this type of relationships. What are the stats on these relationships and how often do they work? This is something new to society and let's face the facts we aren't going to know the full data and impact on society for several generations to come on the whole MOM thing.  Is your life and happiness worth it or the person who claims they loved you lied about their Str8 relationship and now want an open relationship.  I call BS.    

October 6, 2016 10:35 pm  #35

I have a ? for you Vicky.  Will you please provide us with your bi partner's stance on whether he is ok with you hooking up with a male just to have sex with (on your own date) while he is on a date with his boyfriend or will you only be allowed to interact with his SS lover he is involved with? Will he have to be with you, for this to happen? Will he truly allow you free reign out on your own dates, which is how an open marriage works or will he be jealous? I think its interesting you didn't address this or provide this information in support of your MOM argument. This is a boundary that needs to be addressed in these types of relationships. How are you both dealing with this?  If you wish to help str8's understand the MOM argument you are in full agreement with, then why didn't you add this information? Or the positives on how this is working out for you, or how you and your bi spouse/partner are dealing with this?  As you've seen there are many here trying to figure this out for themselves.  Perhaps your support of MOM and input might be helpful to those here in the same situation. How are you handling it and dealing with it? You being a lurker doesn't make you credible in support of MOM. 

Another thing I would like to say is that I really didn't appreciate a gay professional of the behavioral sciences telling me in his online article on sexuality that straight women such as myself don't exist, yet bi men do. I'm a myth. Yet, if I commented on his article I would have been immediately labeled a gay basher. I can't even defend myself against such hype without being labeled as such. I've been str8 all of my life and never had any inclination to be with a woman...ever.  I never had any such desire. Yet according to him people like me don't exist.  He claimed that women are born bi. I remember thinking truly, then I truly am unique with my straightness. What a load of hype many in LGBT try to push over on us str8 people. How you do think this made me feel as a str8 person to read this crap. He didn't provide any credible scientific data within his article to prove his stance on his opinion, which in essence meant it was his wishful thinking and only his opinion. A young person who has not been taught to be a free and critical thinker would not have known the difference on what he said yet took it at face value if they happened upon this article to read.  This is irresponsible behavior especially for a professional writing an article on their profession. 

As for the Kris Jenner thing I also found it odd she never addressed her feelings on her husband's transition publically. If she ever does it will be many years into the future. She has a voice and being in the public eye yet she can't use it all because of political correctness. She had a right in my opinion and as far as anyone knows, she may have. She could very well be on this site or within this network and none of us would know it. She isn't going to come out and say who she is and be allowed to express her feelings openly and honestly if she did, she can't. I'd imagine she was extremely hurt, she had to be. It will never surprise me if Bruce/Caitlin dies before her we will likely see a biography of some type on their life in the future. What better revenge than to have her say then after he/she is dead. Not saying she will, because of her daughters with him/her. It won't surprise me if this happens.

Yet straight people in these relationships aren't allowed to say how they feel because we are automatically and unfairly being labeled homophobic LGBT bashers for bringing up how the LGBT spouses choices are affecting their str8 spouses or relationships. So let those other sites have their opinion yeah on them.  Many within the LGBT are going to have to own it for involving str8 people in their lives and especially sexual relationships. If you dance with the devil you will have to pay for the tune either now or down the road. All actions have consequences. People don't like this or don't realize until it is late. 

October 6, 2016 11:27 pm  #36

Emerald,

Unless I've misinterpreted what Vicky has said, I don't believe she's in an open relationship.  A MOM only stands for Mixed Orientation Marriage.  It's often assumed that MOM and open marriage are synonymous, but they are not.  An open marriage between a mixed orientation couple is always a MOM, but a MOM is not always an open marriage.  Technically, a MOM presumes nothing except that the married individuals are of different orientations.  The terms of how they make that work are up to them - it could be complete abstinence, or like Vicky has described, a relationship that works like it always has outside the bedroom, but allows for some measure of creative options in the bedroom - gay porn, anal sex, etc.  It's entirely possible to be in a monogomous MOM.

My point in my earlier post was that if you're in an honest, trusting, mutually-respectful MOM where you're both happy and fully satisfied, then there really isn't a problem.  I think a lot of us st8 spouses would go for that with the gay spouses we love, except that we can't agree to terms.  Maybe one individual wants an open marriage, and the other isn't cool with that (even if given permission to do the same).  Problem. Maybe they think we can live with the terms, only to find out that they were wrong.  Problem. Maybe they were told that what was wanted was "just sex", but it turns out to feel more like a different lifestyle. Problem. There are so many things that can go wrong that it's practically impossible to make it work.   But it can be done if both partners are onboard and happy with the arrangement.

As for Vicky needing to defend another individual's claims about whether st8 women truly exist - I don't believe she's under any obligation to do that.

Kel

Last edited by Kel (October 6, 2016 11:31 pm)

October 7, 2016 7:52 am  #37

Well Kel thank you for pointing this out to me on the MOM thing, I thought they were synonymous this is where my point-of-view is coming from. I was of the understanding this is exactly what mixed open marriage is. I appreciate your response. Perhaps, I'm mixing up the term 'open marriage' that I grew up with vs. mixed open marriage. Yes, I believe that I am and I would have never realized this without your input. When I grew up an open marriage was exactly that, it was open and both spouses were able to date or have sex with other individuals, not just their spouse. Both were in agreement for their marriages to be this way. If persons can live this way, and be happy, then go for it.

No, my intentions are to just call into question are people really thinking of the long term consequences of these types of relationships. I was just providing what if possibilities on what might happen in these situations especially for women and children involved or born into these type of family situations. Also for the men involved.  Especially for couples who engage in bisexual activity and where the creation of a life is concerned. Do young women of childbearing years really understand and are prepared for this type of possibility when forming these relationships with a bissexual male partner and are the male bisexual partners prepared for the possibility of their SS partner impregnating their legally married str8 female spouse if they are willing for their SS partner to have relations with their wives? How do/would lesbians and their str8 male partner's deal with this - if the married female - her husband impregnates her female lover? What happens if it's just a swing party or a one night stand hook-up and birth control fails then what? What will happen if the bi couple finds out the hookup lied about who they are and you never hear from them again if a pregnancy occurs? 

This is why I asked Vicky to provide further details on her relationship situation. She seemed willing to discuss it.  I'd honestly like to know. Why and how beyond her love for her SSA spouse/partner was she able to accept this and come to terms with the situation? What in her relationship is working or not working in her own personal life experience? This is what I'm asking. I've not read every thread for her every post on the community board? If she is willing to answer that is fine and if she isn't that is fine too. Yet, she wants others to be accepting of her SSA husband/partner, she can't do this if she is going to admitting lurk and not stand her ground and provide why it works for her and just tell people they need to accept.  This is her opportunity to convince the gay/lesbian/str8 communities why a bisexual relationship is an ideal relationship. Many bisexuals are not accepted at all even within their own community?  If their own communities aren't accepting then why should a str8 person should be accepting? 

Isn't this another reason this community exists? You said yourself you won't stand by and not give another individual an honest answer regarding your own personal situation. This was my point, unfortunately, I didn't communicate this properly. I apologize. Are young women today who enter into or remain within a SSA spouse or partner prepared?From my view, I don't believe they are. I wasn't using Vicky as an example or singling her out. Let me make this perfectly clear.  I'm asking and providing the situations as general bi/str8 relationships in general, not her situation except for the pro and cons on her situation. How did she arrive at the decision to stay in this relationship?  How is she accepting of this relationship? I didn't see that she provided this information within this particularly thread. 

I also think you misunderstand I'm not asking Vicky the questions to rag on her because I honestly want to understand how her relationship is working not only for myself but for others here.  Because as a single person re-entering the dating field, how should I or anyone else handle possibly being attracted with a bisexual male? If she wants other str8 women to be accepting of bisexual males then she has to say or explain why it works for her to help people understand her situation and if she doesn't how can I find her credible.  I'd never be able to answer this ? for my own granddaughter, nieces, or any other female that might come to me for advice.  I have to be prepared with an answer to offer proper guidance for all concerned within society today, regardless if they are my family members or not.

My point in providing the information on the web article is to point out and many of you have done the same on this board, is that there is still alot of hypocrisy within the gay community on their agenda. How can a professional from the behavioral sciences studies of sexuality write such an article and not provide scientific fact on why he arrived at his conclusion to offer the statement that women are born bi? How would any of you feel whether you are gay/straight if your young daughter's read such an article and you might have to explain this? I wasn't gay bashing, I'm just pointing out this totally unprofessional and unethical for someone who is gay to do and clearly acknowledge within the article his own personal sexual preference. I was appalled by the notion that I had no say in the matter for such nonsense and all women have now been lumped into the bi category just for the fact they were born as a woman according to this professional. In fact it made me downright mad as a str8 person, and a female. I didn't save the link, it was a blog and I want to say it was on wordpress. All I'm saying is all woman who are str8 and not bi or gay are now going to be thought of in this manner by his unprofessionalism. Yet, I'm not too conclude he isn't pushing his own agenda onto me without my input.  I wasn't just appalled for me but for all women.

October 7, 2016 8:45 am  #38

Hi again, Emerald -

The word "open" in a marriage still means what it always has. But the "O" in M.O.M. doesn't stand for the word Open - it stands for the word Orientation. Mixed Orientation Marriage just means that the couple is not of the same sexual orientation (or preference). They are not both st8, or both gay. You could work a MOM anywhere on the spectrum from completely monogamous to completely open. Heck, it could even be just two friends (of different orientations) who marry/stay married for companionship. There is a general assumption when speaking of a MOM that they are working somewhere within the spectrum of open, but that's a false assumption.

I don't think that Vicky is trying to convince anyone that a MOM is the ideal option, or even a good one for most people. I think she's just saying that it's working for her, and she wants to see us here on this board be more welcoming and accepting of that possibility for some of us. In some ways, I think she has a valid point. We do generally discourage new members from considering being in a MOM here. And I think that's valid in a lot of ways - it opens them to more hurt they might not have considered. As previously stated, I won't apologize for doing that, and I feel it's my obligation to point that out to them. But maybe there's a way for us to communicate differently - in a way that doesn't imply that they won't be supported here unless they go our suggested route - which is most often to end the relationship and move on. We all have different needs, and for some of us, the greatest need may be to exhaust all opportunities to stay with their partner. I only advocate that when I feel that the partners are both being honest about both their needs and their ability and intention to respect each other. Most times when people come here, they're already describing ways that their partner has being lying to them, deceiving them and not honoring their vows and committment. In those cases, I never recommend a MOM - I'm already seeing poor behavior, and I don't believe that willingly deciding to open one's heart up to more opportunities for hurt will result in anything but more hurt. I also believe that most people won't be happy in a MOM; that they agree to try a MOM out of desperation, which puts them at a disadvantage for realistically measuring how the MOM is going for them until they're arrived at the point of misery.

I do feel that we should adopt a "to each his own" view on how we st8 spouses choose to deal with the challenges with our gay spouse. This should be a place where st8 spouses of all different walks feel welcome and supported. It doesn't mean we always need to agree with their choice, or recommend their choice to them or others. But if there's one thing all of us here need, it's the understanding and support of other st8 spouses - the only other people who truly relate to our challenges and emotions.

Kel

Last edited by Kel (October 7, 2016 10:58 am)

October 7, 2016 10:53 am  #39

You gals are having a good conversation.  It's cool to see both sides of the story and see them debated in an intelligent and mature manner. 

I'm going to throw in my $.02 even though it will not be a popular opinion. 

MOM is a falsehood.  Whether the "O" stands for Open or Orientation doesn't matter.   It's not a marriage any longer.  Marriage is a completely committed relationship between two people (not three or more) who love each other in both a friendly and intimate manner.  If there is no intimate love then it's just a friendship.  If there's no friendship then it's just a hookup.  It takes both friendship and love and it takes commitment to make a marriage.  

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

October 7, 2016 11:12 am  #40

lostdad,

I agree with you that marriage is between two people, and is committed and monogamous.  The vows say as much.  But I suppose there are some that would argue that however they want to define their marriage is their right.  Does that change my view on how a "real" marriage should work?  No, it doesn't.  But neither does it give me the right to tell them that they're not welcome here unless they agree with me on what true marriage is.

There are some people out there who get married at the age of 90+ years old, and while I'm not sure if they're still experiencing physical intimacy, my guess is that they most likely aren't.  And I don't consider their marriages any less of a marriage than mine.  They most likely go into the relationship with a clear understanding of what to expect, though - even if that's just companionship and being in love.  The difference between that and most of the people we see posting and lurking here is that they agreed ahead of time on what the marriage was going to look like - set expectations and had their needs met as much as they were able to (maybe they need sex, but can't participate in it physically, for instance).  Most people here are here because their relationship needs are not being met - whether they for certain know the reason or not.  THAT is the issue, really.  If you feel that your spouse's newly-revealed (or discovered) orientation dashes all hope for the issue to change, then you're up against a wall.  Which is where I feel most of us here are (or have been).

Kel

Board footera