OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 14, 2016 1:05 pm  #31

Re: Moving on - when is it truly over?

Dear What- 

Thank you for so accurately articulating the (FALSE) negative self image held by the great many of us Str8s whose confidence, sexuality, awareness and life (SELF) has been systematically destroyed over years by a parasitic, narcisist GID pervert that deceived their way into our life. 

"...after years of no interest in me sexually, I figured I was simply unattractive, ... why would any sane/normal person find me attractive?" ... it's a real uphill battle to reformat my brain to seeing beauty & attractiveness ... The worst part is, I don't know if the challenge of dating & finding a new mate is even worth the effort".

I was emotionally empty and socially lost after toughing out 36+ years with a GIDX wife to ensure my son was raised right.  After stepping out of the FOG, I spent 7 years keeping myself safe from more abuse, then healing.  
Then, I realized I wanted and deserved more from life -- in particular an honest, hetero companion !!!  Then, I realized I was expending more energy to keep myself locked away and safe than it might take to put myself out there and try to get what I wanted.

When I changed my perspective from "What I can't do" to "What I want in my life", doors opened, I grew, good people arrived in my life and (at 68) I'm well embarked on the nice, balanced life I’ve always wanted.  

Be patient, keep focused, do what you must, then build the better life you deserve. 

Best luck - John

September 14, 2016 1:16 pm  #32

Thank you John, 
it's encouraging to hear that it is possible to turn this darkness around. 

September 14, 2016 1:36 pm  #33

John wrote:

When I changed my perspective from "What I can't do" to "What I want in my life," doors opened, I grew, good people arrived in my life...

Well said, John. This is where I am too. Can you say what happened to change your perspective, or how it happened? It will be different for each of us, but I think that's helpful information to share. These forums spend a lot of energy and time offering support, commiserating, normalizing for each other, all of which is necessary, but I wish there were a proportional amount of discussion about how it gets better. Because it does get better, but it's work that we have to do for ourselves and on ourselves.

One such moment for me: long after the divorce was over, I was thinking how she was still making me miserable, and then it hit me, "That's crazy talk." I hadn't seen her, spoken with her, been near her for months, etc, and yet I was telling myself she was still making me miserable.  By that point, she had nothing to do with it anymore, really; I was keeping myself miserable. But I think we have to go through it until we tire of it, to get to that place in our heads. That was just one of several "ah ha" moments for me.

Last edited by BryonM (September 14, 2016 1:43 pm)

"I have given you my soul, leave me my name!"  - John Proctor, The Crucible
"Question everything you've been told; hold fast to what is true and good." - I Thessalonians 5:21

September 14, 2016 4:17 pm  #34

ByronM.... This is gonna sound weird but sometimes I think we get so used to being sad that we forget to be happy.

Let me preface this post by saying that grief is real. Depression is real too. What I am NOT saying is that we all should just 'snap out of it'. It simply doesn't work that way HOWEVER...

... Sometimes people begin to let their trauma and their sadness define who they are and govern how they react to just about everything. We have been victim to a terrible deception and are genuinely aggrieved however we have to be careful that we don't deliberately remain in that victimhood.

Many times I caught myself wallowing in sadness. Why? Because it had become so familiar. This sounds ridiculous but sadness can become almost comfortable. If you've been knocked down it sometimes seems easier or safer to stay down. It takes effort and courage to stand up again. It was like I started to believe the lie that this was the 'new me'. Sad. Lonely. Broken.

It ends only when you realize what you're doing and you start to pick yourself up. You pick yourself up initially by having a hope that you will be happy again. You pick yourself up when you realize that life knocks lots of people down - you weren't the first and you won't be the last. You pick yourself up when you accept that you ARE lovable and you WILL love again. You pick yourself up when you realize that the best 'fuck you' you can give your ex is to not just survive without them but to thrive without them.

You are absolutely entitled to grieve and be sad and feel deceived, lonely and rejected. Hell... you can even feel unlovable if you want to. But make damn sure that you have at the back of your mind that this is season you are going through and that IT WILL PASS.

You'll have good days and bad days. Definitely more bad than good at the start. You'll cycle (or roller coaster) in and out of sadness or depression especially while you are dealing with the separation or divorce. But eventually bad days become better days. Better days become good days. Good days become good weeks. Good weeks become good months. See how it works?

You have a future. A good one. It begins as a flicker of hope. Nurture it until it becomes a dream and when you are strong enough you will make it a reality. NEVER give up. 

September 14, 2016 4:22 pm  #35

Responding to Bryon -

Q:  “Can you say what happened to change your perspective, or how it happened?”
 Thanks for asking, Bryon.  Your question helps me reaffirm where I’m at.

A.  My positive journey accelerated when I finished healing past wounds (ie. looking in the rear view mirror)  — I was 7 yrs past my divorce being final; only needed psychs for a minor tune up every few years, my prostate cancer hadn’t recurred; I fully understood how I’d let myself be so duped into a false marriage, son & DIL were off on their own lives; I was financially stable again, clients were happy; I appreciated that Str8s’ passage thru dark times enables us to light a path so that other Str8s might easier find their own way from the gay thing... 

I was sufficiently healed to set goals and look forward  – Phase V of Wendy’s Recovery Map http://www.southfloridaconnects.com/uploads/2/4/5/9/2459046/wendys_recovery_map_2012.pdf

During my healing time I’d thoroughly studied the cursed Narc-Gay Thing on SSN and other sites, ate right, exercised, valued family, etc.  and worked fun volunteer and paid jobs.  Repeat success attaining client goals showed me I should do as well attaining my own personal goals. 

So, I threw caution to the winds, quit listening to my negative programming, and set out to build the ME that I always wanted.

Successfully sailing your ship through this nasty GID thing, then breaking past the storm to blue skies makes one a wise and seasoned sailor.  Confidence and experience gained from this nasty passage gives strengths for dealing right well with life’s difficulties.    

I’m enjoying that.

Best to all - John

September 14, 2016 4:52 pm  #36

John wrote:

Successfully sailing your ship through this nasty GID thing, then breaking past the storm to blue skies makes one a wise and seasoned sailor.  Confidence and experience gained from this nasty passage gives strengths for dealing right well with life’s difficulties.

Exactly. I think we're sailing on the same sea, if not on the same boat!

At some point I got sick and tired of being sick and tired. I'm enjoying learning new ways to think about things I took for granted, or thought I knew. It wasn't easy getting there, though. I know I need to get a little more relaxed and let people have their sadness, anger or pain. Part of it is knowing now that it really does get better, and it takes work, but it also takes time and patience.

Last edited by BryonM (September 14, 2016 4:54 pm)

"I have given you my soul, leave me my name!"  - John Proctor, The Crucible
"Question everything you've been told; hold fast to what is true and good." - I Thessalonians 5:21

September 14, 2016 8:08 pm  #37

You guys sound so strong.  I'm a month out of the cruel gay closet and I am relieved. Sleeping better. But I get sad sometimes and I'm a bit adrift.  Its uncharted waters and I'm just feeling my way around.  I somwtimes feel like...an abused animal..they opened the cage door but I'm afraid to go out because the cage is all I've ever known.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

September 15, 2016 1:08 pm  #38

I lost everything my house, my keepsake, my marriage, my past and what I thought would be my future.  But very early on I learned to embrace gratitude. Every day I would find something to be grateful for.  I did not have anything so I would be grateful for a beautiful sunrise, a temporary roof over my head, for the phone not ringing with problems.

The shattering and fracturing force of the truth of our lives is so devastating.  It is usually unexpected and unplanned (who has a Plan B for oh, my spouse is gay?).  That is why the recovery we make and the lives we build again are so sweet and lovely.  That is why so many of us can say to newcomers that "Yes, you can do this and there is life after TGT".  It is because from the undefinable pain and sorrow we begin to really appreciate and be grateful for even the simplest things in our lives.  We rebuild on stronger foundations and we begin to live our lives, not theirs.  The adversity we face makes us stronger and makes life sweeter.  Just remember to embrace the good stuff that occurs along the way.

Last edited by WendiT (September 15, 2016 1:08 pm)

"No matter how hard the journey may be, remember to be kind to yourself..."

September 15, 2016 1:54 pm  #39

WendiT wrote:

I lost everything my house, my keepsake, my marriage, my past and what I thought would be my future.  But very early on I learned to embrace gratitude. Every day I would find something to be grateful for.  I did not have anything so I would be grateful for a beautiful sunrise, a temporary roof over my head, for the phone not ringing with problems.

The shattering and fracturing force of the truth of our lives is so devastating.  It is usually unexpected and unplanned (who has a Plan B for oh, my spouse is gay?).  That is why the recovery we make and the lives we build again are so sweet and lovely.  That is why so many of us can say to newcomers that "Yes, you can do this and there is life after TGT".  It is because from the undefinable pain and sorrow we begin to really appreciate and be grateful for even the simplest things in our lives.  We rebuild on stronger foundations and we begin to live our lives, not theirs.  The adversity we face makes us stronger and makes life sweeter.  Just remember to embrace the good stuff that occurs along the way.

That was so well put. "The shattering and fracturing fore of the truth of our lives..." Even though the truth is painful, it is so much more valuable than the lie. I have found that the lying, though, begins to come from me - to myself. I already don't trust her, but now I need to question myself and my motives. If I'm lying to myself, that is as damaging (maybe more so) than her lies.

September 15, 2016 3:14 pm  #40

Rob wrote:

You guys sound so strong.  I'm a month out of the cruel gay closet and I am relieved. Sleeping better. But I get sad sometimes and I'm a bit adrift.

Rob... I don't know about 'strong'. I survived. I wasn't always 'strong'. I went to a very, very bad place mate. Emotionally I mean.

You're only a month in and this unfortunately is a long process. It's not a sprint it's a marathon. You need to be kind to yourself. Cut yourself some slack. Know that you are going to feel fearful, angry and defeated sometimes. But also hold onto the knowledge that you WILL get through it. One day at a time my friend.

Last edited by Steve (September 15, 2016 3:16 pm)

You have a future. A good one. It begins as a flicker of hope. Nurture it until it becomes a dream and when you are strong enough you will make it a reality. NEVER give up. 

Board footera