OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 23, 2016 8:34 pm  #11

Re: Moving on - when is it truly over?

Joan wrote:

Does it really have to be over?  Have any of you considered acceptance and trying to work out some sort of open relationship with your gay husband/wife.  We love each other and part of me wants to run but part of me wants to work it out no matter how difficult.  Maybe this forum isn't for me.  There seems to be a lot of anger, resentment, and frankly gay and partner bashing in these threads.  Is there any one out there that is making an open MOM work?311

The part of you wanting to run is your intuition and it's there for your survival.  There's no bashing going on-it's called honesty & not giving people in crisis lies to make them feel okay about an unacceptable situation.

August 23, 2016 8:49 pm  #12

To say I'm angry is the understatement of the year. I was married for 30 years, the last 5 literally hell on earth, which I begged, pleaded, and sobbed my way through pleading for an answer for what was going on with him. Our family imploded, and he sat on his phone and watched me suffer because he was to much of a coward to be honest. He blamed me for our problems, and lied to his family and our friends. But the worst part of all is when he repeatedly tried to manipulate our kids into feeling sorry for poor dad, cause he expected them to support him after all.  This has zero to do with gay bashing, it's about honestly and integrity.

August 23, 2016 9:09 pm  #13

I just exited a year and half of abuse and rage as we divorced. 

I knew it was over when I was shaking  trauma as she was out with her girlfriend...I realize the house, life we had, etc meant   nothing to her...she had no problem huring me.. I could take it anymore.

Over her...well I'm over her on many levels...but I can always look back in sadness and reverie.
But all I have to do is remember the abuse or her telling the court I couldn't care for my kid after I shared care for years. 

Over her..yeah I can do that.  I still love her on a conceptual level...but that person  she was is gone.  I have anger but being away from her I feel so lucky it usually squashes the anger. 

Will I be able to trust again and not fear...  Don't know.  She hurt me so much.. over and over.

Last edited by Rob (August 29, 2016 8:33 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

August 24, 2016 9:10 am  #14

My therapist and divorce lawyer are gay.  I donated every piece of jewelry that he gave me during our 16yrs of fake marriage to the Human Rights Campaign.  My hatred is for him and him alone.  He crushed my soul. 

As for the original question, can it ever for truly over if you share children?  Our kids are 15 & 12 and we share custody.  He is still in my life though I have set some boundaries. 

August 29, 2016 6:44 am  #15

Joan, I think that sometimes too.  I have chosen divorce, but hope to have a cordial relationship with my now XGIDH.  No contact has helped me to get on a bit, but tbh I am feeling so bereft still.  I know I couldn't forget the past, the betrayals and yet moving on is proving very difficult for me.  I miss him dreadfully at times and it has now been a year post discovery.  I have been dating, but even that seems to just trigger a lot of sadness as everyone my age (52) has their divorce story, the guy I am dating is still not divorced, just separated recently and so it feels a bit raw to hear his story.  I guess I'm not ready, but then when will I ever be?

Someone said to me to have your heart broken is a rite of passage in life that makes you a grown up.  I feel a bit immature and weepy for a grown woman at times wailing at the loss and grief.  

Last night I rang GIDXH as I was feeling nostalgic and it often helps me to see how hopeless it is.   He has a new girlfriend, he has told 'everything' to.  She asked him on their third date if he had been with men as he is that gay in demeanor/looks. - or she has a sense of these things!   

I feel heavy hearted today.  It is starting to really sink in deeply now that this relationship is over.  We walked along life's paths together, but now it is time to walk separately.  I know this in my heart, but still I pine for the ease of relationship.  I feel like if he were single or with men I might feel better, but I think it really doesn't even matter what he is doing, it is just the split.  The gap in my life.  Children gone, it seems such a huge thing.  I'm not sure it is ever OVER....you just stop thinking about it everyday.  The triggers go.  At least that is what I am hoping.....

Hugs to all. 

August 29, 2016 12:35 pm  #16

I could have written Dee's Aug 23 comment above.  Almost exactly what I have experienced.  Mine never came out and probably never will; just continues to blame me and cast himself as a victim, 12 years after the divorce.  My adult children remain estranged, as they "fell" for his story years ago.

Joan, this is not about gay bashing, for me this is about the honest reality of having lived with a fraud, who robbed me of a a normal life for decades.  Totally justifiable anger.

(Slighty different name here, apparently since I registered I can no longer just pop out a comment when a thought comes to me, but have to log on.  Since I'd already written this out before I learned that I would have to log on to post, I've just tweaked my "handle" a little.  It seems easier for now.)

September 1, 2016 6:36 am  #17

My ex and I considered companionship, but I wasn't happy to accept the end of my sex life. Also we didn't have children, I wanted them and she wasn't sure. 

We did consider a MOM, but we couldn't work out a compromise we would both be happy with it. 

What it came down to for us was how long would we be happy with a compromise. For example, if we'd been effectively celibate for 5 years, and then someone made a pass at one of us - could we honestly say we wouldn't be interested? We both had fully functioning sexual urges, but hers was not aimed at my sex. To deny that would be to deny a critical part of the human experience, and that was the straw which ended the relationship. We had many other issues, but they weren't worth addressing if we couldn't resolve the sex one. 

We did consider an open marriage, but the idea never appealed to me, as we were both too jealous with our love for it to have worked for us. 

Going back to the original question - I don't think I'll ever let go of 'everything', as it's been an experience which is now part of who I am. The years I spent with my ex are part of my history, and can't be erased, so I've worked to come to terms with the past.

In terms of the pain, in my experience it goes in peaks and troughs. At first, I was up and down like a bloody yo-yo. As time has gone on, it has mellowed, and the pain has faded to the level that I don't feel it anymore. I know it's there, as I'll have the occasional thing which will pop up and surprise me, and that can feel like a punch to the gut - last time was just last week, when a song came on we used to sing together and it surprised me how much it affected me. 

I don't look back bitterly. At times during my grieving I was angry, but now that's passed I'm not bitter as I'm happier now, and my life is my own again. I was not happy with how things were, and I couldn't see how to fix them. I hope she is also happier now than she was.

In terms of what helped me most - getting myself out there, and building my new life. In my marriage I was very stuck in the mud, didn't really go anywhere or do anything. This was largely self-inflicted. After we split up, I made sure I got myself out there and started doing the things to get the life I wanted, making and reestablishing friendships. Redecorating my house also helped a great deal. 

Think about it what really helped me was simply doing things for me! I am prone to put others before myself, and did this worse with my ex. Now I have a much better balance of doing things for others and doing them for myself. I am a little paranoid about it (which sometimes irritates my GF) but it is important for me to maintain that balance to stop myself making the same mistakes. There is nothing wrong with saying or doing what you want to do, and you don't need to feel guilty if you do so. 

September 1, 2016 10:18 am  #18

I think it helps if you define your terms for yourself, first.
What do you mean by "truly over?"  What do you want?
Do you mean:

"when I will be able to forget this happened?"
"when will I be able to forgive (him/her/me)?"
"when will it will stop hurting?"
"when will I stop being angry?"
"when will I stop feeling sad or sorry for myself?"
"when will my questions or uncertainty be answered?"
"when will I be okay with this?"  (okay with what - you'll have to define that one for yourself, too)
"when will I be ready to trust/meet someone new?"

These are all different states of mind, and they have different levels of importance for each of us. They also change as time goes on, or under changing circumstances.

I don't know that it's every "truly over" until we're six feet in the ground, but that's true about all aspects of our life, not just TGT and how it impacted us. What I mean is, it's a part of who we are, it's a part of the story of our life. If we were to write our own biographies, we would be dishonest to omit this. So it's never truly "over" if that means to try to erase it as if it didn't happen. It means embracing that it happened and you were a part of it (which is not the same as saying it was okay or that you did it to yourself).

I think it comes down to how do you make sense of it in such a way that you continue to live your life until your life ends, but now you are steering it yourself in the direction you want to go (of course, you have to decide what direction that is and be ready to adapt if necessary). But you are in control now and not just going along for the ride.

What helped me the most was a good therapist who asked me all kinds of questions like this, to help me realize that I was capable of taking control of my own life, and that I was the only one who could (and should) do that. It wasn't about blaming me, or her, or anybody else. It was about figuring out how it was that I allowed myself to accept that it was okay to put up with a life that wasn't the life I wanted.

"I have given you my soul, leave me my name!"  - John Proctor, The Crucible
"Question everything you've been told; hold fast to what is true and good." - I Thessalonians 5:21

September 1, 2016 4:09 pm  #19

I'll pick the 2 most complex ones for me ;

""when I will be able to forget this happened?"
   Never,  it will always be with me the rest of my life now.   I gave true fierce love to someone, had kids with them and they turned around and basically said it/I was not good enough, that I am a horrible person.   Not true but it doesn't change what happened...wounds/doubt/fear/hurt will always be there now.

"when will I be ready to trust/meet someone new?"
 Never.  at least right now it feels that way.   I told my sister the other day the only reasons I trust her is we were raised by the same parents and she's done nothing to hurt me (yet).    How pathetic that I doubt even my own family now...that I doubt reality.    I do see  folks in the forum here to prove to me that there are trustworthy people out there. Still, if marrying and having kids with someone doesn't prove they are straight what does ?    If taking a vow before the person , God and family not to cheat or hurt each other doesn't count for anything what does?    If I meet someone even if they are the nicest person in the world how will I know they wont hurt me like my lezex did?    I know our spouses are not normal but they really destroyed my faith in humanity.   Live and learn sure.   I have more faith in God now for sure.   I have more faith in a lot of things now than I do in people..   I feel broken.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

September 4, 2016 12:24 am  #20

Rob,

Are you talking to a professional, a therapist, a licensed counselor, or are you going through this on your own (besides this forum and your sister, that is)?  I know I've said it many times, but the best thing I did for myself was finding a therapist so that I could talk, face to face, and start getting an outsider's neutral opinion, and who could point out to me where I was getting in my own way - lezex in the picture or not.

What struck me about your post above was your interaction with your sister. I don't know how close you are with her, but I've told the story of how my younger brother got very blunt with me - he was symathetic but direct and firm - he didn't want me around his kids until I started talking to someone and working through the pain and anger. Not only was my wife gone, but my closest friend, and now my kid brother seemed to be getting on me, too.

I resented it at the time but I knew for myself I wasn't getting anywhere, either. The best thing I ever did for myself was talk to my doctor and get a referral and start talking, face to face, with a stranger who just listened and let me talk and she would ask some hard questions along the way. But it was the best thing I ever did for myself; nothing else was working.

I offer this because I hear an echo of that in what you said about your sister.

Last edited by BryonM (September 4, 2016 12:27 am)

"I have given you my soul, leave me my name!"  - John Proctor, The Crucible
"Question everything you've been told; hold fast to what is true and good." - I Thessalonians 5:21

Board footera