OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 16, 2018 3:22 pm  #1

New to site and humiliated

I have been with my husband for 21 tumultuous years. Not the best marriage at times, but we made it work, or so I thought. What I have suspected for some time was verified last night. He is connecting with men on Growlr in our city. I finally have proof. 

He tried for years to make me think it was my fault our marriage wasn't better and we weren't closer and that I needed therapy. I now see what he was doing to deflect from what was really happening. I'm such a fool. 

I am just starting on this terrible journey and hope to do a lot of reading on this site to help me keep my sanity. I find comfort in knowing that I am not alone. The main emotion I have right now is humiliation. I thought I was smarter than this. Thanks for listening. 

April 16, 2018 5:54 pm  #2

Re: New to site and humiliated

Hi Lala, 

Welcome to our group.  I'm sorry you find yourself here.  We sure do know how you feel.  Please feel free to read and participate at much as you like.  Most of us find that simply telling our story and getting to outlet our emotions is very therapeutic.

You should definitely not feel humiliated.  I understand why you think this way, but I want to challenge you to change your perspective on this. 
A person's sexuality is the biggest secret anyone can keep.  It's the most personal and private thing and it's a secret that they begin to protect from their early teens.  They become absolute professional liars in order to cover up this secret.   Protecting this secret consumes their life.  It's no wonder you couldn't see something that you weren't even looking for.  When we fall in love with someone we only see the good in them.  We aren't programmed to search for big secrets.  So please don't feel humiliated. 
Instead, feel proud of the 21 years that you faithfully loved your spouse.  When  things get tough, most people are weak and they run away and give up on their marriage.  You didn't.. you did your best for more than two decades.  You tried much harder than nearly anyone would have. 

You are starting your journey.  We are here to support you.  Let us know how we can help. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

Board footera