OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 22, 2018 4:26 pm  #41

Re: A Message to the Straight Spouses from a Gay Husband

Gary...
I'm not here to judge you, I can only say based on my own experiences of being stuck in the closet with my husband that only being half-way in a relationship is wrong.  By not seeing your wife as the whole package you are depriving her of being with someone who does.  No matter how much you may wish to convince yourself that you are honorable by sticking around, you are using excuses to have it both ways.  I often wondered about something....is it really that you are bi-or gay or is the real truth that you lack the courage to be fully connected to anyone?

Love is never selfish...it is always meant to want the absolute best for the person you are in a relationship with even if that means letting them go. 

If you were having dinner with your wife and an attractive man happened to sit one booth over, tell me you would really be focused on your wife.  Now transfer that one dinner to many years of marriage.  She's sharing her life with you while you are fantasizing about the ultimate him.  It really sucks to be that wife. 

I'm very sad for all of us that we ended up in such an impossible situation.  The best we can do is comprehend the full scope of this situation, deal with it and move on.  There is a huge difference between a life tainted by overcast and a sky overflowing with remarkable color.  What you are offering is a marriage with endless days of overcast.  (A person who is unhappy can never possibly make anyone else happy.  The math does not add up.)

~Detour

February 22, 2018 4:33 pm  #42

Thank you Detour. You sum it up so well.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

February 22, 2018 4:34 pm  #43

I think this thread has run it's course.  The general tone has become argumentative and no longer providing insight or advice to help and support straight spouses.  

I won't lock the thread.. But I do ask that if anyone else feels the need to post again, let's make sure the content is in the spirit of education or constructive commentary to current and future straight spouses. 

Thank you!

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

February 22, 2018 4:46 pm  #44

Phoenix,
 Respectfully, I believe you're both wrong and too nervous about the thrust of this thread.  Both Kel and Detour's posts actually show a lot of insight and contain some good advice that will help and support straight spouses. And I actually found that reading Gary's posts echoed much of what I've heard from my own closeted spouse and helped to validate my analysis of what I've heard.

February 22, 2018 4:52 pm  #45

Agreed OOHC. This post mirrors so many of my years of experiences, it’s scary. And as we all know here, many, many of us have similar, parallel, experiences, and many of us spent decades trying to figure out what was missing. In that respect, I think this is beyond valuable for both current and future members.

February 22, 2018 4:58 pm  #46

I agree that there has been a great deal of insight and helpful information in this thread... up to a certain point.  However I think the tone of the last group of posts has become negative and attacking and no longer constructive.  So I'm asking the group to move on or change the tone back to more constructive and educational comments

Thanks

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

February 22, 2018 5:25 pm  #47

JenS wrote:

Maybe you should create a protected thread for Gary in the MOMs Section where he can post to his heart's content with full protection.   Yes, I think that would solve it. 

Oh ffs....he doesn't belong in there! Please no !#$@!!

KIA KAHA                       

February 22, 2018 6:43 pm  #48

Detour & Kelly,

I appreciate both of you last posts.
Great input.

Last edited by Lena (February 22, 2018 6:45 pm)

February 22, 2018 8:36 pm  #49

Ellexoh,
 I believe that suggestion was not meant to be serious.  I think it was designed to point out that Gary is not a hothouse flower who needs to be protected from the cold blasts he's opened himself to here with his posts.  
  And Gary, if you're still posting, I wonder if you have ever heard of "topping from the bottom," a dynamic in which the spouse who is, like you, apparently the weaker spouse, actually directs the actions of the stronger one.  You say your wife is the one with the power in your relationship, but from what you say it appears that you are really directing the action, even as you claim she's the one making the decision.  

February 22, 2018 10:26 pm  #50

Hi folks, I'll be short tonight.  Today I volunteered to go paint and repair a house flooded by Hurricane Harvey.  Since I am old, fat, out-of-shape, and unaccustomed to manual labor, I am POOPED!  So I'm going to bed early.

​If you have some money earmarked for charities that you haven't decided where to spend, the need is still great here in Houston.

​I agree with Phoenix that it's probably time to end this thread.  It seems to be causing harm and that's definitely what I never intended.  So, unless all of you want me to keep posting (which I'll be happy to do), this is my last post.  

​Even though I think some of you are bit off base when questioning my motives, history, or truthfulness (I stand by everything I said...I have no reason at all to lie to you), I have genuinely enjoyed chatting with you.  My wife says I missed my calling and should have been a lawyer but I've got enough strikes against me in God's eyes!  (sorry...that was just a bad lawyer joke).

​You have challenged me and given me much to think about.  My wife and I didn't talk about her decision tonight because our daughter didn't work today and was home.  

​Please know that I love my wife very much and I want her to be happy.  Because I love her I absolutely don't manipulate her or control her.  If the marriage ending will make her happier, then so be it.  Perhaps you are right and she will surprise me and decide that.  We now all have to give her some space and time and let her decide.

​My original purpose of coming here was to deliver a comforting message.  It is my sincerest wish and hope that we all find peace and healing.  If you're praying folks, please pray for me, my wife, and daughters.  I will pray for you too but I'm not sure God hears my prayers any longer because my faith has become so weak.

​So best wishes, and here's hoping for a good night and a great life. Blessings to all of you.

Board footera