OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 3, 2017 1:02 pm  #1

#conflicted

Things I’d never anticipated doing: Writing on the straight spouse forum. I’m married, have been for three years. Met my wife in college, we were friends for a long period before we got together, and were wed 5 years after. Now we’re fast approaching 30 and live together with our dog (no kids).

Yesterday she confessed to me that she’s not straight. She was terrified when she told this, and had written everything down in a letter she handed me. She does not know what her orientation is, but she’s attracted to women. It seems like she’s trying to tell me she’s lesbian because she won’t deny when I ask her, and that is the word she uses when describing this. She said she had known for some time now, but as we both come from strict conservative families this has been suppressed, we’ve both been taught that such feelings are wrong, curable, sin and leads to hell. She had, prior to telling me, talked it over with a friend/colleague she’s had for six months and a lesbian colleague (she got a new job 6-7 months ago).

My world fell apart. I knew we had troubles, I knew we had a some fights and issues with communicating, but I never saw this coming. I felt betrayed, especially since she says I’m her closest and best friend, and the only one she can discuss everything with, but apparently not this. It also makes me second guess everything she’s said and done in our friendship and marriage. She insists she hasn’t been unfaithful, but it feels like it since she has drawn herself away from me and spent more and more time with her friend (as of six months) to the point where we haven’t seen each other in a full day, and all interaction is reduced to pleasantries, and our sex life has been... what sex life? I’m filled with self loathing since I let this happen because I knew she had troubles and figured she needed space. She has had a lot of issues that I’ve supported her through, she had a difficult childhood where she wasn’t acknowledged, comforted or seen. Anyhow, we fought, yelled, said some not so nice things, but have mended some of it now.

Now I’m conflicted. She doesn’t want a divorce, nor do I, but I honestly can’t see another way. I tried asking her to tell me more about her orientation, desperately grasping at every straw hoping for something stable, something I can work with, but all she can tell me Is that she doesn’t know other than she’s attracted to women, and she can’t rule out anything. We’ve agreed to give it some time where we’re preparing to move/separate, but also working on patching this mess up. We have ... ehrm, I have a traditional view on marriage, so anything else than a devoted monogamous relationship is off the table for me. I still feel second to her interest for women, and she can’t/won’t tell me if she’ll even find me attractive. I feel like a failure and a paria in my own marriage, let alone life. I feel unwanted, and fear that she wants to keep me around for support in a platonic relationship where she’s exploring her orientation. I really really don’t know what to do... I don’t know how to cope with this...

Last edited by RNAndy (September 3, 2017 1:04 pm)

English isn’t my primary language, please bear with my spelling errors

September 3, 2017 5:33 pm  #2

Re: #conflicted

Hi Andy,
Boy, what a profound statement: Never imagining posting on the straight spouse network! We call it the club none of us wanted to join, but thankful it's here when we need it. So sorry you find yourself here, but you are in the right place. You will get lots of good advice and suggestions here , use what works for you. We have several active men who post, and I'm sure you will here from them. There is , for the risk of sounding totally sexist, a familiar pattern with the women that come out of the closet, and the men. It's gut wrenching to say the least. Your wife has known this for a very long time, and you will most likely be playing catch up. And as trite as this sounds, better now than later. Many of us endured decades of marriage, with kids getting damaged in the middle of this nightmare, not knowing what exactly we were dealing with, because our spouse didn't have enough guts to tell us. I felt like a complete failure in the beginning of my nightmare also, ( married 30+)  But I've learned along my very painful journey that he was the failure, because he preferred to live his entire life as a lie, and risk his family's health and safety. Be careful not to be her therapist, you didn't let anything happen. Take care of yourself, if possible, confide in a friend or family member. You can also reach out on the home page of this organization for a face to face group, depending on where you live. Don't try to go it alone. Keep posting, we are listening.

P.S.
Your English is great!

September 3, 2017 5:54 pm  #3

Being in limbo is torture. If possible you and your spouse should seek some independent counseling, both individual and together. You can't move in any direction if you don't know where you stand and your wife doesn't want to find out. You have three options, stay together and work hard on this, separate until you both know what you want and need, or move towards divorce. Maybe you can do the third on fairly amicable terms but first it's important to figure out what is going to fulfill both of you. Once you know that, your direction will be indicated. Good luck.

p.s. - please stop the second guessing and blaming yourself. You did what you thought was correct and it's futile to think 'what if I did it the other way'. Chances are she would have shut down on you similar to what is happening now. You didn't make this happen and I doubt you could have prevented it.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

September 3, 2017 8:32 pm  #4

I don't want to come across as harsh but I think from your post that you already know what you want: a monogamous marriage with a wife who desires you above all others - male or female. Your wife has already told you that she desires women, is spending less time with you and you feel like you are "second to her interest in women."

This is not a problem that can be patched up because it goes to the core of each of you as human beings. You are straight and she is not. It is not your fault or her fault but simply is a fact. With both of you "fast approaching 30" the kindest thing that you can do for each other may be to admit that this is not going to work and divorce.

You both - God willing - have many years of life ahead but they don't have to be as spouses in an unhappy marriage.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

September 5, 2017 10:14 am  #5

Hi Andy, 

I come from a very similar background and had a similar experience.  Only your wife seems to have been kind and respectful and told you that she is a lesbian before she went out and cheated on you.   If it's true, and this best friend you mention is just a friend, then it is a gift that she has given you.  It is loving and respectful and kind of her.  I wish my ex had done the same.  

Every church and religious experience is a little different, but I think most, or at least many, would say a similar thing..  We believed that same sex attraction is wrong, sinful, curable, and something that is a choice.  I thought the same.  I would have preached the same message to anyone else.  
Here's what I've learned since..  These are my beliefs, since there is no science to back it up.   Same Sex Attraction is never a choice.  It's hardwired.  We all learn our sexual attraction in our early teens as we experience puberty.  Some people are attracted to the same sex.  Some people accept who they are and live authentic lives.  Other people hide it and refuse to accept it.  They convince themselves they can change it.  They keep it a deep dark secret and they try to appear to the world as though they are straight.  Some of them even take advantage of other people by getting married.. they want to look normal and even think they can learn to love us enough to become straight.  They think over time it will get easier.  But it doesn't.. it gets harder.  Some people are able to take it to their grave.  Some cannot.. they last a few years or a few decades, but eventually they crack.  Most crack when they find a connection to a same sex person and fall for them.   It's not a choice.  You can't pray it away.   I think your wife has finally accepted this.  But she's done it in a loving way and has told you about it before acting on it.  It would have been nice if she had disclosed this to you before you got married.. but she was likely still convinced that she could be straight at that time. 

Deciding now how to move forward is a hard thing.  Take your time and don't rush into things.  It's a big decision.  

You need to start asking yourself hard questions about your life ahead of you.  Can you be happy in a marriage with no passion?  Now that she is coming to terms with her sexuality, how long can you last wondering if or when she will leave you for someone else?  Can either of you be happy or fulfilled?  

You are still young, and now you are wise.  As you ponder this decision, what you most likely are trying to decide between are two doors..  One door is your marriage as you thought it was.  Now it's been tarnished a bit and will be harder to make work, but there is still comfort there and friendship and a chance.  The other door is the great unknown.  You don't see a clear picture of anything happy behind this door.  The only thing you see is what you are losing by not taking door number 1.   You can't possibly see what is behind the second door yet.  You are not ready for it and it's not clear.  It's a future yet to be written.  You fear it now because it's the opposite of the happiness you thought you had.  But it's a blank slate.. a chance to create a new and vivid future.  

I'm a year out.. I still haven't found my future, but i know that it's already better than the disaster that door 1 had in store for me.  I'm walking through that second door and looking forward to the adventure that awaits me.  You will get there too. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

September 6, 2017 3:00 pm  #6

Thank you so much for your replies. It always helps to get another input on things, I’ll try answering some of it and posting an update.

Yeah, I reckoned this forum was created out of need, but it really is assuring to know that other people get through this (and even a lot worse), it gives me hope. We are planning on going to a psychologist together. I have close friends and family that supports me, and I’ll check if there is a group near me, but none I can see on the page is (closest is Nottingham, and that’s still a days journey by car). About being her therapist in all this, I simply can’t. I have enough with just sleeping, eating and other basic needs. Thankfully I have leave from work till the end of the month, so I have some time to sort myself at least. 

I guess it is possible to make this marriage work again, but I don’t know if it would be viable. She says she wants to stay together and that I’ll be the only one for her, but even though I want to belive her, I have this nagging doubt that she says this without knowing if she can control her attraction, I guess she didn’t choose to fall for another woman, but she did.

So what happened since last? We sat down and talked. Really talked like we hadn’t done in ages, shared feelings, fear anger and talked it over. It was a conversation that surely would’ve made dr.Phil proud. She said she has found out she is attracted to men as well as women and told me what really happened and led up to this attraction to another woman. The only problem? I caught her lying, and of course, the conversation quickly morphed into something more worthy of judge judy than dr.phil. One step forward, three steps back.

A day later we had another talk. This seemed different, she looked like she was unraveling at the seams, quite frankly more like she was unable to keep a secret. She shared a lot more than earlier when I asked her questions. Her crush is a colleague who is open about her lesbian orientation. She claims she started developing feelings for her some six months ago, felt scared but still continued pursuing these feelings without. She has talked this over with literally all her friends before she could muster the courage to tell me. She also came out to her crush, and said she got some good advice on how to deal with coming out.

Another day later I realised there are unanswered questions around her talk with her crush. I tugged at some strings, but her answers were always short and avoiding. I confronted her, said that I think she’s lying and withholding the truth. She breaks down again, claims that she doesn’t remember anything about this. I admit I can be a real pain in the ass when we’re arguing, I suggested that she can show me her journal. She was reluctant, but let me read it after a lot of crying.

Oh my god. Perhaps I shouldn’t expect else from a personal journal, but her feelings for this crush was A LOT more vivid and deep than she told me. Also, this crush of her had apparently seen this coming a year, and I belive she must have picked up on the feelings, but my wife upholds that her crush has no idea. She also described what her friends said when she came out to them, and how she’s weeding them out by who supports her orientation and who of them who had concerns. She describes how she identifies herself much more as a lesbian than bi. I can’t say I’m thrilled about what the future has to offer, but by the looks of me I’m going to be single again. She begged me to wait until we at least had a chance to see the psychologist, but really... I was genuinely positive to this whole keeping together-deal when I had the feeling she was honest, but turns out, I really can’t ever know if she’ll be honest, even when she swears to tell the truth.

On a related note: Don’t you have a shortage on nurses in the states? Looks like I’m relocating some time soon >_<

English isn’t my primary language, please bear with my spelling errors

September 13, 2017 3:48 pm  #7

Yes, Andy - we can always use nurses here. 

I'm sorry you're going through this. Yes, one of the hardest parts is that at some point, it becomes evident that we can't trust them to tell us the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.  They seem to be more concerned with not looking like a horrible person, and keeping the door to their alternate attraction open.  The truth is that what they've done is so awful, they can't even bring to speak the words out loud - or even admit it to themselves.  THAT's how poorly they know they've behaved toward us.  Now,.... I'm not saying that each and every one of them habitually cheats, or does things to the ultimate degree.  But they know that what they have done is lied to and deceived someone that is supposed to be their lifemate.  And there's NO good excuse for that.  They can try, but in the end, it comes down to "I wanted to have my cake and eat it, too".  And they KNOW this.  Fact is, they STILL want that.  Which is why they keep lying, hiding, deceiving, minimizing, stonewalling, gas lighting, you name it.  Because deep down, they know what they've done was depraved and horrible.  They know that their heart was a black piece of coal to feel the things they have, and have just gone ahead and indulged themselves anyway. They just.can't.admit.that.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

Board footera