OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 31, 2017 10:00 am  #21

Re: Jumping through his hoops

The love bombing can be torturous - you feel like a total dick if you don't respond in kind when someone says they love you.  My advice there would be to just get up and walk away every single time he says that to you.  If those words are going to create space when he desires the opposite, then eventually he'll learn that saying them won't get him the reaction he's looking for.  The next time he says "I love you", say, "I don't want this from you anymore.  I'm done.  Stop saying that to me, please."  Then the next time you get up and walk away.  And the next, and the next.  Same with when he says, "Our family is wonderful all together".  Personally, I'd be shouting, "It always WAS - YOU trashed that and ruined the trust!"  But you could just say something non-inflammatory back, like, "Our family is wonderful no matter what."  Let him know that you're not buying into this bullshit.

I told him my ex after only days of that type of love bombing that he was making me angry.  That allll this time when all I wanted and asked for was this love and attention and words, he couldn't / wouldn't give them to me.  It is only now that he sees HE'S losing something that he wants to put in the effort?!?  Fuck.that.  "Now you're showing me your true self - the person who only puts in effort when it benefits himself.  The more you do it, the less I want to be around you.  It's too little, too late.  There is NOTHING you can do at this point to save this.  You had ten years of my complaining and suggestions and begging to do that.  We crossed that bridge a long time ago.  Either decide to stop acting like this, or leave."  It worked.  It helped him concentrate on ending the relationship vs. spending al his time and energy on trying to save it.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

Board footera