OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 24, 2017 9:54 am  #21

Re: What part hurts the most? Is it different between men/women?

I don't know if time is enough, that time needs to be spent well. Cut your ex off from your life as much as you can, take care of yourself, make a new life. This will help us heal.

April 24, 2017 10:25 am  #22

I agree lorax. 

I don't want to just sit back and let time run its course.  I want to be pro-active.   I'm tired of hurting..   My pain is significantly less now that it was, but it's still there and I want to keep healing.   

You bring up an interesting point..  I've considered it, but maybe not typed it out yet. 
"make a new life". 

Does finding someone new make the old pain go away?   
Is that a good reason to find someone new?  
or should we really deal with that pain and baggage as much as possible before finding someone new? Does finding someone new just mask or hide the pain and will we realize that we still need to deal with it at a later point?

Just some food for thought. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

April 24, 2017 10:49 am  #23

When I think about how women and men are different creatures in relationships, one thing stands out the most to me.  Sex.  I've read countless times about how men equate sex with love.  That their woman can show she loves him in a ton of different ways, but if she's not giving her body over to him, he doesn't have all of her.  It's actually kind of confusing for me in a way - men can go have sex with any old woman and not think that she loves him just because she's having sex with him.  So how they equate sex with love is confusing since they clearly are able to disconnect the two when they want.  But regardless, a straight, able-bodied man who is in love with a woman will want to make love to her, and will want her to want that from him as well.

Women, on the other hand, do no equate sex with love.  After all, men are constantly trying to have sex with us.  If we gave in whenever a man professed to want our body, we'd be sleeping with a different man every night.  To us, you need to prove that you love us before we give ourselves up that way.  This is a generality, of course.  But basically, we need to see your love and feel your love before we can give you sex.  We're wired this way.  If you want sex with us, you need to protect us, provide for us, and help ease our load in life.  Then we are freed up enough to let ourselves go.  And then we can not worry about anything else, and just let ourselves enjoy the physical aspects that come along with love.

You'll see this even before we all fall in love.  In how men and women go about trying to obtain the other sex.  Men want to be first in line - the better they impress us (they think), the more of a chance there is of us loving them.  They will literally beg for our time, for our attention, for a chance.  Listen to any R&B station and you'll hear it from all the male singers - "baby, I need your lovin'.  I need to hold you.  I need your kisses on my body.  I need to feel you."  You will RARELY hear the same words being sung by the women.  And that's because typically speaking, women won't beg for a male's attention.  She has her tools - her looks, her charm, her expressions and body language.  If the man doesn't catch on with these tools being used, he's not interested, or he's not smart enough for us to want.  Lol.  Truth, though.  We don't just want you to give us a try.  HELL no.  We want you to want us and ONLY us.  We want to capture your heart and your mind.  You want to capture our bodies.  It's why you see some men acting so jealous and possessive.  Because to him, he owns that body if she's professed love to him.  No one else can have it.  But to a woman, she wants to possess his heart.  A king can have a harem, and there is still only one queen.  She's the one he wants to build a life with, not just sleep with.

So of course it makes sense that their spouse sharing their body with someone else is likely to be a bigger deal to a man than to a woman. And why a spouse falling in love with another will be a bigger deal to a woman.  Now, a woman that knows how men think may just make that translation and think, "If he equates sex with love, and he's giving sex to someone else, then he's giving them what he views as love".  And it can bother us more than if we only viewed it through our own perspective.  The smallest of things can bother a woman.  One time waaaaaay back when I was engaged to a man (whom I never married), I gave him a watch as a present.  He wore it all the time.  I didn't notice when he stopped wearing it.  Then one day, I saw his watch on a female friend's wrist.  He said it was no big deal - she liked it and needed a watch for the day, and she just never gave it back and he never asked for it.  He'd worn it a ton, anyway.  What's the big deal?  That was extremely hurtful to me - he took something I gave from my heart, and gave it to another woman.  I don't care if he gave it to her in friendship or not - it should have meant the world to him, and it was insignificant.  That was crushing to me.  That's when I knew it was over.  I could never tell if he understood what he'd done or not, but I realized that I didn't want to live with someone who didn't or wouldn't understand.

I think it's also why some of us women who stopped getting sex from our GID husbands learned to live with it.  Because to us, it didn't mean what it would to a man.  I mean, there are plenty of times when we women don't feel like having sex, and we never view it as us not loving our husbands.  We love them immensely.  So we put it in a box and tell ourselves that he loves us anyway - he's showing it in other ways.  So don't make this one thing such a big deal.  But if they'd looked at it from the viewpoint of a man, they'd know that a lack of sex from the man means something HUGE.  It's everything.  If they understood that better, they'd be more upset with it and less likely to just live with it.

Kel

Last edited by Kel (April 24, 2017 10:57 am)

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

April 24, 2017 12:07 pm  #24

Kel, as always you have an excellent grasp on how men think and feel.   At least from my perspective..  knowing that you can't group all men into the exact same bucket..  but I think you've hit the nail on the head for most of us.   I would guess you have also captured the truth about women.. for the most part.  

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

April 24, 2017 12:34 pm  #25

Kel did hit it on the head for the most part but I may be the anomaly here in that sex is a very important part of a relationship and it has really been hard on me to have that taken away.  I don't think I have ever said no to my husband back when we were sexual (he knew not to try at certain times) or in previous relationships.  I find sex to be one of the parts of a relationship that needs to be there to make it complete. I tolerated the lack of it because I kept thinking it would improve.  I know better now.

April 24, 2017 12:34 pm  #26

I swear to you that I didn't have any of this knowledge until I started dating again.  When I was in my 20's, men were all about the woman's looks, and I was never a winner at that game (being plus-sized).  I wanted to have meaningful conversation and really get to know someone and connect.  When I got back into the game again at 40, it took me a hot second to figure out that men aren't the same creature at 40 that they are in their 20's.  Now they know the value of personality and skills vs. just beauty and sex appeal.  Suddenly I had the advantage in this game!  I had plenty of conversations with men about how they think.  It was fascinating!  I had NO.IDEA that if a man crosses a room to come talk to you, he's already interested.  I'm sure that's simple-stupid stuff to a man, but that's not how we women work, so we interpreted everything through out own understanding.  I began to read up and learn and put together the pieces of how men think.  And by contrast, how women think.  I also learned that I'm somewhat of a hybrid in many ways.  My current husband is the one in our relationship who acts like something's wrong but will tell me it's nothing.  And I'm the one who is like, "I've got a bone to pick with YOU, mister!"  He also gets really pouty when his feelings have been hurt.  And will be very hurt if I forget something of his.  If he says the car needs to go into the shop this coming Sat. for new brakes, and then he kisses me goodbye at 10 am and I say, "Where are you going?" he'll be hurt.  Because that's his thing, and I've forgotten about it, so it must mean that he's not all that important to me.  Of course I'm like, "Just TELL me, dude! Don't make me guess and jump through hoops!"  So yeah - we are all variations of these generalities.  But I think I understand the bigger picture, finally.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

Board footera