OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 13, 2017 10:56 am  #201

Re: How do I survive this?

Lostdad,

Bless you.   Like you I'm divorced with her out of the home for months.    

First that was very bold of you to contact her expecting an apology..  I don't think we will ever get one.  I know my ex and she will go to her grave without apologizing..she is adamant that I somehow mistreated her in someway and it was morally ok for her to cheat and have a gay affair.  I will never get an apology.   It would help me  but I have to let it go.   I'm here a lot because I treated her so good...I could not have treated a wife better...I do realize it was her and not me..  I do...I'm learning it was ok for me to be so kind..that there was nothing left for me to give.

Good for you to looking forward to loving someone else..  I would like to meet someone someday...  but I'm far from ready..   I don't trust anyone.    It's like I never want to base my happiness on another person like that again because I did not know a person could be so cruel and evil to their spouse.  It's sad.. I have a lot of love to give and I'm a kind person (too kind apparently).   But I could fall so hard for anyone showing kindness now..I don't trust myself.      So it's just me now.. alone.   Alone is ok. Alone is safe. 

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

February 28, 2017 11:37 am  #202

Continuing my journal in hopes that as I make progress through this saga, others will see things they can take away and learn from (whether they be success or mistakes that I've made). 

Most of the last two weeks was a vacation.  I had the opportunity to travel to India with some old friends.  it was a fantastic adventure.  I had a chance to reset and center myself.  It was the opportunity to get away from life as I know it and find myself.  

I would strongly recommend that everyone takes a vacation after going through divorce - after your spouse moves out, etc..   It doesn't have to be as crazy as mine.  In fact mine was so busy and active that it's probably not the best type of vacation.  I also know that divorce and separation can be very hard on finances, so it doesn't have to be a long or expensive trip either.  Can you go camping?  Visit some old friends/family in another state?  Take a train or bus tour?  I think it's really valuable to disconnect for a little while.  We get so wrapped up in the little daily stresses of life that I think it hampers our ability to think introspectively.  We need a chance to really reflect on where we are, what we've been through and how we can move forward to better places.  
Stepping away from normal life helps us gain perspective. 

Here's what I learned while I was away:  The bad things I was scared would happen did happen, but as it turns out, they aren't really so bad. 

7 months ago I was so scared.  I was almost paralyzed with fear.  I was afraid of losing her and the life I knew.  I was afraid of being alone.  I was afraid of living alone in my home, only having my sons half the time.  I was scared that I would be scarred by the TGT and having to live through divorce and separation. 

Guess what..   All those things have happened..   And I'm fine!  The things I was afraid of came true.  But now that I'm here I have found that I'm not unhappy.  In fact. to my surprise. I AM HAPPY!   The things I thought would be horrible have turned out to be ok.  Where I thought my life would be empty.. I see now that my life is so full and rich.  It's my life now and it's a good life.  I can see now that the marriage I thought was so strong and wonderful was actually not so great.  I am now full of hope for the future and hope makes me happy. 

I was scared to death about losing the woman I loved.  That happened.  It was horrible and hurt me more than any experience in my life.  But today I can say that it's ok.  Instead of being buried in despair and grief over what I lost, I'm realizing that there is hope for something much better.  I can be a very happy person without my ex.  Even if I'm alone without a love interest, I am happy.  My life is not empty, it is so full.   And guess what.. I don't have to live forever without a love interest.  I've continued to communicate with a new interest and it brings such a glow of hope and potential to my life.  I'm fine if it doesn't work out.  I'm protecting my heart.  But I'm so excited about the possibilities.   

I remember exactly what it was like to be in the depths of grief.  I know how it feels to claw your way forward through each painful day.  I know how the roller-coaster of recovery feels.  I'm moving forward and forward is full of hope and sunshine. 

I want to bring each of you with me.  I will continue to share my walk forward.  I know there are more challenges to come and i will share those hard times as well as the good things.  I want those who choose to read my account to take something positive away that they can use to help themselves move forward as well. 

Last edited by lostdad (February 28, 2017 12:15 pm)

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

February 28, 2017 8:00 pm  #203

Lost Dad....welcome to the Sunny Side of The Street!  Awesome that you had such a great break, I'm happy for you.  

What a loving and amazing thing it is to share with those on the darker side who can't even see the sun.  I'm sure it means a lot. 

Keep posting and welcome home. 

“Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places.”

March 1, 2017 1:50 pm  #204

Lostdad,

Always good to hear..we need to hear we'll be ok.

I hear the party is at your house?
Free hugs for all.  I'll bring my letter to burn.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

March 1, 2017 5:41 pm  #205

Rob, I like your thinking!  

“Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places.”

March 2, 2017 9:22 pm  #206

Lostdad, I remember that you were one of the first to "welcome" me to this forum, and your kindness.  Please know that what you've said really does make it more possible to walk forward with a sense of confidence and hope.  Thank you!

March 6, 2017 3:49 pm  #207

OutofHisCloset wrote:

Lostdad, I remember that you were one of the first to "welcome" me to this forum, and your kindness.  Please know that what you've said really does make it more possible to walk forward with a sense of confidence and hope.  Thank you!

Thank you for saying that.  That is my hope.. I want so much to give back and help this group of people.  This place made a massive difference in my life in my darkest days, so i will do my best to give back as much as I can. 

We all do this..  we have a spectacular group of people here on this forum.  It's really inspiring. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

March 10, 2017 1:32 pm  #208

I'm new here, I just read your first post and your last two posts. I have goose bumps, I'm so happy to hear you're happy now! I wish you all the luck with finding a great new love.

Last edited by Duped (March 10, 2017 2:09 pm)

March 10, 2017 1:40 pm  #209

lostdad,

That is so AMAZING. I am truly happy for you. I may take your advice and take that vacation. I think I'll just go to the beach though. Lay and listen to my own thoughts, make some plans of my own, for me, without worrying about his permission (see kel I was listening).

WOW INDIA..........hmmmmm......

Go not quietly into that great, good night......Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

March 10, 2017 1:56 pm  #210

Duped, 
Welcome to our group.  I hope you find as much support and healing here as I have found.  
We will see about the new love.  I'm taking that slowly and not making my happiness dependent upon that.  

JJ,  I do think a vacation would be wonderful for you and laying on the beach with some drinks and books and lots of "me time" would be great.  India was awesome, but not the most relaxing place to sit and think.. lol

Board footera