OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 7, 2024 10:38 pm  #1

Whelp, Mediation Went About As Well As Expected...

So I got completely and utterly screwed.

Yay to the legal system.

I don't make nearly as much as he does, I have an illness that requires a medication that costs $20,000/year and once I lose his insurance I will have to pay for it out of pocket. For the rest of my life. I don't qualify for independent insurance, the industry I'm in has shit benefits, so half my pay will now go to a medication that is necessary for me to be alive. The "marital" debt that was taken was deemed to be accrued for my benefit and was solely awarded to me (that's a whole other very long story of the cruelty involved in this). The list goes on.

In total I have to pay him $100,000.

I walk away from this financially decimated. The judge apologized for the situation, but said "the law is the law". Divorce laws changed where I lived 3 years ago....prior to that I would have stood a chance in all of this. Instead I will not be able to pay my bills this month and have to ask my parents for help.

I feel like I should do a public service announcement for all the ways you can fuck yourself over in a marriage and divorce. Because by trusting him, I sure hit the ball right out of the park.

Not sure how the last 5 years could have gone any worse than it did. At times, I honestly wonder why I bother getting up in the morning. If one more person congratulates me on my divorce I may punch something.

He officially broke every single promise he ever made to me.

I've decided to start horseback riding lessons. I didn't realize until I got out of the fog of the mind fuck that he never actually supported me doing anything, having a hobby, having a life, being a person. At the rate I'm going I'll have to take out a loan to eat, but what the hell....it's not like I have anything left to lose in life!  

May 8, 2024 2:22 pm  #2

Re: Whelp, Mediation Went About As Well As Expected...

I'm sorry to see this result, Anon. How fruitless any words of mine are at this time. Doesn't mean I won't try. I got hosed during mine as well. I live in a no fault state, which means my ex could (and did do everything) she wanted and be rewarded by the state. Come home drunk and wake up the kids? Guardian never even looked into. Made agreement after agreement during mediation, but would then refuse to sign the papers. (took 5 times). The judge did not hold her to account one single time. 

Here is what I have learned. I can not change the past, or the 23 years I gave to a person who honestly hates themself, nor do I wish I could. My life, right now, is exactly as it should be. I believed that at my lowest point, why? Because I had no other choice because I needed to keep moving forward. Time does help. So does freedom. I don't need to see karma hit her, but I already know it has and will continue. Her miserable existence is her karma. Sounds like your exes as well. He may be smiling on the outside, "living his best life". Unless he is a complete sociopath, between "whatever he does to forget", he knows he did you wrong and will live with that all the days of his life. 

Mine drinks heavily to forget. (she never drank before). I can always tell when she sends me messages that are barely coherent and late at night (between 1030PM and 2AM). She is living her most miserable life and I do not take joy in it. I do take relief, as I no longer as a pawn in her game. 

One step in front of the other. You can do this, health issues and all. I know you can, because I/we are you!

May 8, 2024 4:32 pm  #3

sorry to hear that Anon.  Doesn't make it any more unfair but I do think karma gets them every day because they have to live with their miserable bitchy selves.

My ex continues to do everything he can (basically the gaslighting) to make things hard for me for years after the divorce.

May 8, 2024 11:04 pm  #4

What I find downright hilarious about this entire thing is that I was told that I need to communicate better.

Because the marital property has to be sold, I was told that I have to suck it up and communicate with him regarding the house. The only reason I stopped all contact with him, other than through a lawyer, was because he was unable to communicate without insulting me, yelling at me, or in some way hurting me, and I was so tired of his abuse.

And I get penalized for setting the boundary that I will not communicate with someone who abuses me *eye roll* Our society is really fucked up.

I know I will get through this. But I truly wonder what I ever did in life to deserve the past several years of my life....

May 9, 2024 1:48 am  #5

https://youtu.be/h6ncaApx6Q4?si=juElgLvHeWytI-oR

You will get through this.....Miss Change-a-tyre-in-the-snow
If I was there we would sit, drink wine and talk about stoopid men.

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

May 9, 2024 6:43 am  #6

So sorry.  If I want want somedays I can get bitter at all the money I must pay my GX..the law is definitely in the gay cheaters court. Sometimes I think they have a playbook they share.
But I remind myself that most days it is priceless to be away from the abuse and living with someone that all along was plotting against me.  Worth every penny.
   It this life and the next..I believe God is looking down and sees the difference between wrong and right.  I have no worries that I kept all my vows and all my promises.

Wishing you peace and strength as you move on from the evil incarnate on this earth.

Last edited by Rob (May 9, 2024 6:44 am)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

May 9, 2024 9:00 am  #7

That's just awful, I'm sorry you're going through this.  The law maybe the law but you soon to be ex-husband has obligations that go beyond the law.  Maybe you could fill out a medical hardship waver and see if you can get a break on the medication.   I know my mother-in-law did this and got a significant reduction as well as getting her medical debt payments down to basically nothing with no interest, which were ultimately forgiven (like $100k). Best of luck, I'll be praying for you.

Board footera