OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 21, 2016 8:28 pm  #1

How to know when you're ready to start dating again

I saw this theme come up in another thread that is now 16 pages long.  I figured it was worthy of its own thread.

I think dating again has its benefits when you're ready for it.  Some people don't do it until they're long over processing the pain of their last relationship. For others, dating takes the edge off that.  It's akin to how some people behave when their beloved old dog dies.  Some take 2 years to get a new dog because it feels disrespectul to act like that animal was replacable.  Then there are those of us who know that nothing helps heal a broken heart quite like puppy kisses and no time to think about the pain because you're too happy belly laughing. Some of us are somewhere in the middle. I can tell you that if what you're looking for is a replacement for your dog, a new puppy certainly won't behave like your beloved old dog.  It isn't trained, makes lots of messes, and can be as frustrating as it is fun. If what you're looking for as a new companion is a friend without all that work, then you'd be better off adopting a more mature, trained dog.

The same holds true for dating.  It helps to know what you want. If what you want is someone to go on the occasional date with but nothing serious at this point in time, then go online and find someone with similar goals.  If what you want is lots of non-commital sex, then have at it.  The more serious thing you want, the more ready you have to be. And don't cross the wires.  While it's entirely possible for a one night stand to turn into an amazing marriage, it's highly unlikely.  Just as unlikely as getting someone looking for a relationship to take their clothes off on a first date for you.  Know what breed how looking for! Lol.

Signs your ready for something more serious with potential include:
1. Being "over" your ex.  Not feeling like this might just come around still, and you'd jump at the chance.
2. No longer being proccupied with the break up.  If you have nothing but that to talk about to a date, then you're going to be one hell of an annoying date!
3. No longer being angry or weepy on even a weekly basis.  If you can't relay parts of your st8 spouse journey without falling apart, then you're no fun for someone else yet.
4. Not being jaded. If you unlike the opposite sex and generally mistrust them, you've got no business putting a member of the opposite sex through a hazing.
5. A desire to date again.  If you don't feel like you want to date, then don't force yourself for the sake of doing so.
6. Some interests of your own. Go do things that interest you.  If you're not interesting, you're not desired.  Go do things that you love and just maybe you'll find a person on such outings that you'll have that in common with.  If you're not willing or able to be alone, you'll be too clingy to be a good catch.
7. The thought of finding someone fills you with excitement, not dread.
8.  You're working on other areas of your life, too.  Life doesn't start when you meet someone, or even when you fall in love. Enjoy life and work on you - the rest will come.

Kel

Last edited by Kel (November 21, 2016 8:32 pm)

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

November 21, 2016 10:30 pm  #2

Re: How to know when you're ready to start dating again

Thank you Kel

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

November 21, 2016 10:48 pm  #3

I'm currently guilty of 4 and 7. In time, I'm sure it'll pass.

November 22, 2016 7:55 am  #4

Thanks Kel your points are helpful..showing me I'm not ready.   I do enjoy talking to the opposite sex and just about anyone...so I'm not shy...the truth is just about everyone is nicer and kinder than my ex.   It really shows me how sadistic and crazy she was.
Right now I'm gathering the pieces of me and what strength I have left.   I'm essentially surviving..kind of adrift.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

November 22, 2016 11:14 am  #5

Another option might be to start attending fun things without the pressure of dating.  Events and Adventures is one:  http://eventsandadventures14-px.smrtlnk.com/?utm_source=search&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=EAChicago

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

November 22, 2016 11:57 am  #6

Kel wrote:

Signs your ready for something more serious with potential include: Kel

Taking the quiz:

1. Being "over" your ex. Not feeling like this might just come around still, and you'd jump at the chance.
This one is hard.  If the woman I married showed up I would jump at the chance.  But I've learned that she was a fraud.  The woman i'm divorcing is the real person and I don't love her.  In fact, based on her decisions and actions I don't even like her. 
2. No longer being proccupied with the break up. If you have nothing but that to talk about to a date, then you're going to be one hell of an annoying date!
I would probably struggle with this right now.  What I'm currently going through is my identity right now.  I'm sure I would talk about the pain and suffering that I've been dealing with, which would probably make me a poor date right now. 
3. No longer being angry or weepy on even a weekly basis. If you can't relay parts of your st8 spouse journey without falling apart, then you're no fun for someone else yet.
I'm getting better with this.  I don't cry every day.  I probably cry once a week now.  I can talk about it without getting super emotional. 
4. Not being jaded. If you unlike the opposite sex and generally mistrust them, you've got no business putting a member of the opposite sex through a hazing.
I imagine I'll have some trust issues, but I don't feel like I hate women.  I just hate what one of them did to me. 
5. A desire to date again. If you don't feel like you want to date, then don't force yourself for the sake of doing so.
I have a huge desire to date, but it's not for sex.  I would like to keep my "purity" and wait until marriage again if I can do that.  I just want to feel that spark, to have a companion, someone to cuddle with and spend time with.  I need to know someone cares about me. 
6. Some interests of your own. Go do things that interest you. If you're not interesting, you're not desired. Go do things that you love and just maybe you'll find a person on such outings that you'll have that in common with. If you're not willing or able to be alone, you'll be too clingy to be a good catch.
I have a lot of interests and I'm looking forward to my wife moving out and getting through this divorce so that I can have some time to start doing these things. 
7. The thought of finding someone fills you with excitement, not dread..
I'm very excited to find someone new.  I want that more than anything.  But I want to make sure I'm doing it for the right reasons. 
8. You're working on other areas of your life, too. Life doesn't start when you meet someone, or even when you fall in love. Enjoy life and work on you - the rest will come.
I'm still in purgatory with the divorce not yet final and her still living in the house, etc..   I think I will suffer from loneliness for a bit after she moves out, but I think I can start to enjoy life. 

This seems like a good check-list Kel.  I think the first two are a struggle for me right now, but in a few months after she is gone I think I'll be able to move past those issues.  They are still hard because the wounds are still so fresh and because I see her every day.  

I really want to be in love again.  I just need to make sure I'm in it for the right reasons.  I don't want to string someone along if I'm not ready and it's destined to fail.  

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

Board footera