OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 20, 2024 11:17 am  #1

Looking in the review mirror

As I’m going through documents  I ran across this note that I’d written yrs ago,  It was a was a note of what I was told by my husband's coworker. I quickly jotted it down not to forget cause I was flabbergasted!.

I Called my Husband @ work’ back then we didn’t have cell phones.  This is how the conversation went… 
Ring Ring ☎️ man answer’s the phone “ Hello says “Business Name” I ask for my husband the Man on the other end of call says to me “is this the little lady”?  I said yes’ then he abruptly said “ How do you like your new car? sunroof & all?. I was taken back by his Q!. My reply "oh I love it, that Man of mine has great taste!", his reply was so shocking I couldn’t believe it & I wrote it down at that very moment! not wanting to forget what he said to me. “ He said … “ You Better Watch It, I’m Your Biggest Competition, I Might Still Him From You”!.  My reply, “who is this? I gotta know who my biggest competition is?”, he didn’t give me his name & continued to say “ Well At Least I’ve Got Him When He’s Fresh & Smells Good!. You Have Him When He’s Tired & Stinky!!.  WTH 😱. 
I asked my husband about this man & told him what he had said to me’ I asked my husband @ that time if he was gay? he denied it! ( but of course).   Life carries on’  I begin not accepting reality & living in disbelief & complete denial, a perfect recipe for depression’ self hatred’ doubting my very own existence, all awhile raising my children virtually alone, as my husband continues his closested flings on & off in the yrs ahead.  

As I reread my note that I’d written over 25 yrs ago, rings more true today than ever w/ all the years of lies’ deceit pretending to be straight as he’s laying down w/ Men.   I wonder how could I’ve been so damn stupid & blind? How could I continued to trust him, believing every f***ing lie! when all I got was these nuances of red flags 🚩 throughout the years that says “I’m married to a closeted gay man”.  
looking in my review mirror of life's yesteryear's is clearer today than my naïve self of 25 yrs ago or more, speaks volumes of truth 🪞. 

I want to thank everyone who has shared your life’s most private intimate journey, you’ve been my saving grace 🫶🏼. 

Last edited by True (April 20, 2024 11:38 am)

"And you will know the truth, & the truth will set you free"
John 8:32
True ❤️.

April 20, 2024 4:37 pm  #2

Re: Looking in the review mirror

Please don't beat yourself up.  You were not "stupid & blind."  You were blindsided by something that was so out of the blue and so out of character that you were unable to take it in, and then you were lied to by your spouse, who you had every reason--and need- to trust and believe.  You had children to raise and a home to keep together. And as time went by, you had more and more of an investment in your life.  

The closeted man is an expert at blame-shifting, minimizing, false equivalencies, manipulating, and gaslighting.  They make us doubt our reality, our sanity, our judgement, our attractiveness, our ability to discern the truth, all while not so subtly projecting their shortcomings and shifting the blame for them onto us.  We end up internalizing their criticism, and start doing their job for them. 

Instead of now blaming yourself, engaging in negative self-talk, I hope you can learn to talk back and reframe your situation.  That even after twenty-five years of his abuse of you--that secret sexual basement and his accompanying running down of you--you weren't crushed, and have been able to see through the curtain  of lies is a testament to your strength.  You were not crushed, but are now seeing clearly.  

April 23, 2024 11:29 am  #3

These guys have to work really hard to keep us in the dark.  It's a full time job, 24/7.  And remember, "projection" works both ways.  My husband seemed never to trust women, ever, and I forced myself to work extra hard to prove to him that I was trustworthy.  It turns out he was projecting his dishonesty on to me.  By the same logic, I assumed he was honest, ethical and trustworthy because that's what I was.  

These guys know exactly who to victimize.  They look for those of us who are good and decent people, knowing we will project our own decency on them.  

April 23, 2024 3:25 pm  #4

You were not stupid. You honored your vows. You tried to give unconditional love when we now understand it's okay to give conditional love. He played on your compassion and love for him and your family.  I am 15 days away from my official divorce from my closeted GID husband. He wants to remain closeted but all of his friends are gay, but he's not (according to him).  He's only confessed to being bi-sexual and at this phase - I don't care. All I know is I deserve good love! He can take the rest of his life to find his truth without taking up an important role in my life! 

Don't blame yourself at all! 

April 26, 2024 7:32 am  #5

Sometimes, men fall in love with a woman and marry her, even though they are not sexually compatible. I have met many such men and always asked the same question: why? The answer? "She is my best friend and I love her in every other way." Given that I was not emotionally invested in those situations, I was a neutral third party, I'd say they were telling the truth. It meant that they had chosen to make certain sacrifices in their life, just so they could be with the woman they loved. But occasionally, it got too much and then they would seek out casual sex to fulfil their fantasies briefly. 

That is different to a situation with a gay man, who has the capacity to fall in love with another man, right? Because that's what it all comes down to, at the end of the day. Whom does one want to spend their life with? Next to which person do they feel they can be their most authentic self? I feel sorry for the men who are gay, but lack the courage to tell their spouses, and end up living a lie. Not only do they hurt the person they claim to love, they also hurt themselves, denying themselves a chance for a happy life. But again, each person must weigh up what's most important to them, which needs they need fulfilled absolutely, and which needs are transient. Only then can they decide who is the right person to provide them those needs. 

April 26, 2024 3:01 pm  #6

dd wrote:

. .....But occasionally, it got too much and then they would seek out casual sex to fulfil their fantasies briefly. . 

It sounds like you've had some experience with 3somes and sex with married men..?

E

KIA KAHA                       

April 26, 2024 7:00 pm  #7

Ellexoh_nz
I put myself through law school by providing sexual services and Domme services to men and women, a legal profession in Australia, where I reside. It was quite confronting and challenging at first, but I needed the money and I had a very high sex drive, so I persevered. I eventually came to see past people's physical attributes and I began to make emotional connections very rapidly. Being slightly different myself, it was easy for me to empathise with men that were struggling sexually. Indeed, I understood them perfectly, I would say. I did not necessarily agree with what they were doing, since I am not a cheater and never will be... and I certainly didn't pull back any punches, when talking to them - I even persuaded some of them to change what they were doing, and some of my bookings ended up with no sex, because they decided not to go ahead. All because I said, you shouldn't cheat on your wife. At that time, I was also in a relationship with a male gigolo, who gave me his side of the story, sleeping with married women. If I wrote a book about this, I am sure a lot of people would be horrified and a lot would judge me, but the truth is, people have needs. It is as simple as that. And quite often, those needs cannot be met by just one person. Especially when it comes to sex.

Now, some might say sex isn't the most important thing in the world, but if that were the case, we wouldn't mind sharing our partners with others. No matter how much or how little someone needs sex, they need it, period. It is not a hobby or an activity one can decide not to engage in, without some serious consequences usually. We are social animals and we need physical intimacy to feel loved, accepted, and happy. We can literally die from lack of love, so it is a serious, life and death question that people face on a daily basis, and that makes many people desperate enough to do horrible things to themselves and to others. That is why it is a question that must be aired, not left to fester, within ourselves and with our partners. 

I apologise if my reply has shocked or upset anyone, as that is not my intention.

Last edited by dd (April 26, 2024 7:01 pm)

Board footera