OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 30, 2024 10:55 pm  #11

Re: Can he be happy?

I am so sorry M-Kate. You deserve an apology. You deserve for him to take accountability for his actions. I am honestly not sure how I would move forward without that. I'm so sorry for what you are going through. 

Straight wife to wonderful Bi husband 
20+ years together, out to me for 17+ 
Monogamous
https://www.morandmore.org/

April 17, 2024 1:02 pm  #12

These comments really speak to me and where I am right now.  My husband came out to me after 42 years old marriage about 2 months ago because I caught him.  He says he is bi, and his liaisons were with men (well, woman twice because he slipped up when he was telling me a story and I called him on it).  But he has had liaisons for the 44 years I have known him.  Neither of us wanted a divorce (at least initially for me), and at first he was quite apologetic, but now he makes jokes of being able to hide things and wants to have his adventures openly - something I don't think I can deal with.  I feel so betrayed and hurt and untrusting - he got that at first but now has moved on and doesn't understand why I get so upset at times.  I would like to hear how you all have been coping with all of this as there is no-one for me to  talk to and I have recoiled inside myself.  Thank you for listening!

April 17, 2024 2:09 pm  #13

My comments are in red. Welcome to our Forum  

mytruth wrote:

.....  My husband came out to me after 42 years old marriage about 2 months ago because I caught him. That is how many straightspouses learn about their husbands/partners. We eventually put 2+2 together and get a big fat 4.
 He says he is bi, being bi is preferable because it's (to them) not as bas as (wtf) admitting they're gay...because men fucking men is not something straight men do!. 
and his liaisons were with men (well, woman twice because he slipped up when he was telling me a story and I called him on it).  But he has had liaisons for the 44 years I have known him. Edited...So now you really know. 
Neither of us wanted a divorce (at least initially for me), and at first he was quite apologetic, Your husband will be taking his cues from you, and of course being contrite and not wanting to lose you and have his secret side laid bare will be uppermost in his mind. 
but now he makes jokes of being able to hide things and wants to have his adventures openly How disrespectful of him
- something I don't think I can deal with. And you don't have to deal with his "adventures" either. You have to learn to put your life first and not accept the way he wants to live his. 
I feel so betrayed and hurt and untrusting - he got that at first but now has moved on and doesn't understand why I get so upset at times. Our lgb partners don't understand our concern because it's often been a secret for so long they can see their life no other way. 
I would like to hear how you all have been coping with all of this as there is no-one for me to  talk to and I have recoiled inside myself.  Thank you for listening! Okay Mytruth....here's the truth...this will get harder not easier because your marriage is at a crossroads and the most important thing about it is that you can't do it alone. It's a given that you have this Forum but you absolutely need people in your life (not your deceitful husband) to confide in. A family member, a good friend who has your back, a counsellor.  

Elle

Last edited by Ellexoh_nz (April 17, 2024 2:11 pm)

KIA KAHA                       

April 19, 2024 7:15 pm  #14

Hi Mytruth,  I am sorry you find yourself here with us,

I will share what I wish I would have done at two months after knowing I was NOT in a monogamous heterosexual marriage like I was promised:

Find the absolute best attorney (without your spouse knowing) and explain the situation, maybe an investigator if needed in your state and recommended from your attorney.  Get a plan together, then tell your husband you want to believe him and make it work but are afraid for your financial future.  Have him sign a post marital agreement so that if he continues to lie, cheat, and abuse you the pain of a contentious divorce can be avoided.

And as humiliating as it is, please get tested for STDs as soon as you can, and go for all the follow ups recommended.

Instead, I tried for over 3 years to make it work with my husband who was one of the (supposedly) most honest, amazing, full of integrity people that no one would believe capable of the horrific cruelty he exhibits.  Now after almost 30 years of marriage I'm here on a forum I wouldn't have even imagined!  Like so many others, I'm divorcing a "man" I never knew I married. 

I understand you not having anyone to talk to - because I wanted to make it work I didn't want to add the judgements and opinions of others.  Now he wants to tie any future alimony to me not telling anyone.  Ha.

After all of the 4 years of hell, and I'm not through the divorce yet with lost of scary unknowns ahead, I can say I wouldn't go back to before "the decision" to tell him to leave.  Use this forum as a resource, message me anytime, it's a rough road and can feel quite lonely.

April 19, 2024 9:20 pm  #15

MarieSmith:

Your spouse wants to tie your alimony to your silence?  I'm not sure he can do that.  But I am sure that his desire to keep his secret makes him vulnerable, and you can use that in negotiations for the divorce settlement.  

April 19, 2024 9:32 pm  #16

To be clear there is no way I'm agreeing to that. After the hell I and kids have gone through I will have the freedom to tell what I decide . Which I don't know yet what that will be, I want to be on the other side of the divorce and sure that i'm not reacting emotionally and careful about what I share and how it will affect kiddos etc... but I'm not being "gagged" for *&^! sure

April 23, 2024 12:33 pm  #17

Marie, It looks like Non Disclosure Agreements (NDA) for spouses are enforceable in some states.

To add on to OOHC's suggestion, you can negotiate to keep your silence for a set amount of time for an enhanced settlement.  This is not a time to be nice or worry about being greedy. This stbx pushed you overboard without a life vest with no witnesses around. Fight for your financial life!

Edited to add: I'm pretty sure  there are not any contingencies tied to you and/or your children getting what you're legally entitled to like alimony.  It's not a crime for an stbx to ask though it's pretty brazen and is another clue to their true character.  If their attorney acts like this is fact, note it down. Tell your attorney about it.

Last edited by MJM017 (April 23, 2024 1:37 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

Board footera