OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 17, 2024 2:39 pm  #1

Suggestions for Books on Self Confidence or Self Esteem

Hi All,

I've never had the best sense of self-confidence/worth, and it seems like it's completely shattered after my marriage.  What I hate is that when I met my ex, I was much stronger.  I had friends, I was building my own life.  And then he comes along and I'm look "ooh, look.  Someone is finally interested in me."  He was in my college town doing an internship, so I became all that he had.  That lead to him making me the center of his world and he would get jealous when I wanted to spend time with my friends.  That alone should have been red flag number one.  But we worked through that and all was good.  Many years later, after marrying and moving overseas and then back, I found the situations reversed.  We moved to his home state.  I had no one.  No friends or family, and instead of helping me like I had for him, he just goes on and leaves me behind.  I had a very hard time making new friends which really hurt.  Then add in a pretty traumatic health crisis and things for me went from bad to worse.  Throw his gender issues in and it turned into a dumpster fire.  

We are divorcing and I am back in my home state rebuilding my life.  I am much happier, but I am also learning that there is a lot of baggage from our many years together (24 together, 19 married).  My question is, has any read a book on self-confidence or self-esteem that you really liked?  Bonus points if it is a workbook as I seem to respond well to those and I love to journal.  I truly believe that it is important to have a life of your own before you can successfully share a life with someone else (which I would eventually love to do again but trust me, I am NOT rushing into that one.)  I am not willing to lose myself again.

I don't want my new life to be like my old.  Thanks all!

Board footera