OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 21, 2023 2:47 pm  #1

Hurt and confused

I met my boyfriend at work. We were in different departments. We flirted with each other for a few years before I got the nerve to give him my number.

We hit it off immediately. Our first date was amazing. It was obvious that he felt the same.

Early on, he told me that he was sexually abused by a close male relative. I held him and supported him as he told me his story and thanked him for being so brave and trusting me with his story.

He told me he lived with his male cousin. Long story short, the apartment they shared was left for them by their grandmother. However, I quickly started to doubt they were really related.

He would explain away things I found that weren't adding up. And after a while I realized his 'cousin' was starting to get very territorial about my boyfriend. My boyfriend was also changing. He would curse and shout at me for the slightest thing. He was also very insistent that he was the MAN and I wasn't being submissive enough if I asked too much questions.

I reached out to his sister and found out that his family had no idea about this man he was living with. He had told them a completely different story about how he got the apartment and as far as they knew, he lived there by himself.
I also found out that 99% of what he told me about himself was a lie. His family told me he lied about everything to them too

They then admitted to me that in the past, they suspected he was gay but he always denied it. I live in the Caribbean and to be gay here isn't safe.

When I tried talking to him about it, he got mean and verbally abusive. Everytime I asked about this so-called cousin he would shout and curse until I stopped asking.

I think we're done now. I finally snapped and started shouting and cursing back at him and since then we haven't spoken.

I haven't told much people. Only my closest friends. They all keep telling me it's not my fault but it hurts so much. And I keep wondering how he could do that to me. I feel so low right now...

Last edited by Trinispice (December 21, 2023 2:48 pm)

Board footera