OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 17, 2016 5:25 pm  #31

Re: Any insight into the direction I am headed

I'm so sorry, Vicky.  The realization part can be really hard.  After that comes some clarity, albeit slowly sometimes.

It's good that you are doing contract work.  I'd think that means you could move anywhere (or stay put) and still be able to support yourself.  As for him, there is the possibility that he can/will pull it out a bit more and start making money if he felt like he needed to (didn't have you to fall back on).

I know what you mean about it maybe having been different if he'd have been open and honest with you.  By the time my husband started trying (even before I found out he was positively gay) to make things work, it was too little, too late.  I was very angry that he only took me seriously when it affected HIM.  Me screaming that Iiiiii was miserable for 10 years didn't matter so long as it wasn't affecting him.  And I resented the hell out of that.  It meant that he was never in the relationship because he loved me and wanted the best for me, too.  It meant he was always in it just for him and what the marriage could give to him.  When that was threatened, THEN he had a real problem.  Fuck that noise.

You don't have to leave to get what you asked for.  You'd be leaving because you just couldn't get what you were asking for, and you figured you'd never get it if you stayed.  That leaves the only possibility of you getting it being getting it in a different relationship, which means walking away from this one first.  That was one of my most life-changing realizations; that I wasn't guaranteed to find what I wanted if I left.  But I WAS guaranteed to never have it if I stayed.

I'm sorry you're hurting.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

November 17, 2016 6:23 pm  #32

Thank you for sharing Vicky. You're very brave and I admire your honesty in what must be an impossible situation. I'm inclined to think that your husband is anything but the victim in this situation. Far from being a 'good guy', I'm starting to think he's a textbook gay-in-denial narcissist. How do I know? Because I was too and I can smell the manipulation a mile away. 

What struck me was your recent move and his apparent unemployment. That leaves you isolated and, as the bread winner, trapped. It also seems like he's been slowly isolating you from friends and family over the years. This gave me chills: "I think I might try to get some privacy and call my sister." Why does this scare me? It suggests that he's been taking sh*t about her and perhaps other members of your family. It also suggests that you need to hide to call people who care about you. You mentioned a similar situation with your best friend. Another danger sign is that you're planning to see a counsellor yet nervous about telling him. None of this normal, nor healthy. You mentioned that the kids aren't showing any signs of stress. I said this myself and it was a lie. Kids watch their parents very closely and given what you've shared here, they're growing up in a household with A LOT of anger and stress. This is like second-hand smoke. They're breathing it all in.  

​I try very hard to remain neutral when sharing my opinions here Vicky but I think your husband is a very manipulative and dangerous person. I know this because I did all of these terrible things at the end of my own relationship. We did the "big move" when she got too close to the truth. I trashed talked her family for years, particularly her sister. I did what I wanted and then made her feel like it was what she wanted. She too was in counselling for years. Hell it was my idea that she get help. Then I'd simply tell her it wasn't working. She only had a crack at freedom and happiness outside of our broken relationship. She wanted us to stay together, bless her, as you're doing now. We limped along for two horrifying years. Thank heavens I insisted on divorcing because what she needed was to get away from me. Once we'd separated, I came out, owned my sh*t, apologized profusely, got therapy, and (without me around) everyone started to heal.

​Please keep sharing here because I believe the good and honest people here are a necessary lifeline.  

November 17, 2016 9:10 pm  #33

Close enough in the GTA. My comment about doing something you regret was in reference to your comment about why not just cheat on him. If that's not in your nature, it's not healthy to start. Many of us here are generally kind, supportive, decent souls in a tough situation and we should never let our good qualities get consumed in the fire. That being said it doesn't mean any of us should willingly jump onto the pyre either.

The past is something we can't escape and I expect we all have a few things we wish we did differently. I don't consider myself a failure, stupid or foolish because I took a chance on love and neither should you or any of us here.

I hope the counseling session is good for you.

vicky wrote:

Hi Daryl,
​Are you in Toronto?  I was until I moved to Prince Edward County recently.
​I don't know what you mean that if I do something I regret.  I don't usually feel regretful about things.  Usually if I did it or said it I meant it.  I think the Stockholm syndrome analogy was what did the trick.  I've been so defensive of him through this and maybe it's because I am used to defending him.  I defend him to my friends and family whenever he has bad behaviour.  Now I am defending his actions because he's GID so it must be hard.  I feel stupid like a chump how did I not see it.  I just emailed my old best friend (who he was an ass to until she finally gave up) to see if it was my imagination or for confirmation that it is true, that he really is doing this to me driving me away from my friends and she emailed me back saying she made some mistakes too that she should have been more forgiving and she should have tried harder to look past his behaviour.  So she confirmed it.  Literally my hands are shaking I am shocked.  I feel so stupid.  I think I might try to get some privacy and call my sister.  I just made an appointment with a counsellor for Monday so we'll see how that goes.  He knows something is up, I can hardly speak.  I don't know what to even say to him.
​Thanks everyone.
​Vicky

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

November 17, 2016 9:12 pm  #34

Sean, Vicky I know the feeling of them alienating friends and family. Also when you have to hide to talk to your family
..she brainwashed me into thinking they were bad.   She had issues with everyone..if anyone made the slightest mistake they were on her shit list. 
Once she started her affair that was it..I was on her list.
The entire world on her list..
I loved her so much it took me awhile to realize she was a narcissist...crazy...a sociopath.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

November 18, 2016 8:56 am  #35

Hi,
​I meant that I would try to get some privacy to talk to my sister so I could discuss it out of his earshot.  I did and told her, turns out I told her I thought he was gay in the summer during one of our wine and chat phone calls but I had no recollection, oops drank too much I guess.   Well I didn't remember this so I asked her if she could keep a secret from her husband she said wait I know what your going to say let me guess first 'you cheated on him' I said no, her next guess 'you're a lesbian' I laughed so hard, I don't know why she guessed that.  Anyway I gave her the full picture and she in turn gave me the full picture of what he's said and done to my family.  Turns out a lot of stuff happened when I wasn't in the room.  When I said I should talk to them explain that I didn't know and that I'm sorry, she said we all KNOW it's not you that it's his issue.  It seems they've all discussed this but no one told me.  I asked shy and she said not all news is welcomed so they didn't say anything.  I am floored more just comes out I just had no idea how bad it was. 

Good news is I absolutely can support myself.

​I haven't done it in awhile so I checked his phone and there was an incognito tab for a psychologist.  I think he is thinking about it at least.  Hopefully he goes through with it.

Vicky 

November 18, 2016 2:00 pm  #36

Vicky,

I think you'd be surprised at how many people suspect it.  They don't mention it because there's a chance they'd be wrong, and accusing someone's spouse of being gay is a pretty insulting thing to most people.  They figure that even if he is gay, if you're happy, they should stay the hell out of it.  They don't want to stir the hornet's nest.

I was very surprised that my best friend of 30 years had had discussions with her husband about them thinking my ex was gay.  It wouldn't have surprised me if those discussions had stemmed from my telling my friend about the lack of sex and the few things that gave me pause.  But that's not how those discussions happened with her husband, according to her.  They stemmed from her husband mentioning it after seeing my husband and I.  That didn't happen all that often - and usually at family parties.  This man could pick out things at those events that made him think that my ex was gay.  My family also told me after admission that they'd had their suspicions for years.

Kel

November 18, 2016 4:30 pm  #37

Hi,
​Sorry they didn't know he was gay.  Though my sister said she thought he might be when we first met she'd forgotten that actually.  I meant that they had had discussions on his bad behaviour and rudeness towards them and how uncomfortable he makes them feel.  I had no clue how he acted when I wasn't in the room. 
Vicky

November 19, 2016 1:27 pm  #38

Ooooh, I see.  Well then shelve the "they all knew he was gay" thing until later, lol.  One thing at a time.

My ex said snipey little things occasionally throughout the years when I was out of the room.  People often told me about them within days.  I always thought it was proof of one's own idiocy to insult a person to their own family. He was also always making me defend my family to him, too. He was playing both sides against me - trying to strand me on a life raft alone, where only be was capable of saving me.  It didn't work mostly because I'm too open and talkative for that kind of bullshit to work.  I have often thought that he picked the wrong woman in me. While I was a lot of the things a typical st8 spouse is (long-suffering, giving, selfless), I was also too loud and agressive to be the quiet, complacent woman he wanted.  Too boisterous and gregarious to be an excellent beard.

He nearly did succeed at turning my family against me, though.  I had no idea that he was contacting them behind my back and spreading lies about me once I asked for a divorce.  He of course didn't want a divorce. And he had no proof of cheating, so he dropped loaded hints to my family that I was out 5 days a week, that I just wasn't the same anymore, and that something was "off".  They hasn't been informed about the impending divorce yet - mostly because we couldn't separate at that time due to financial constraints.  We didn't want our kids to hear we were divorcing..... some day.  So we didn't tell anyone until we were going to be a few weeks from separation. So he was planting reasons for why we were divorcing so that it looked like it was all my fault and he was the victim. He'd call them any time I walked out the door to get a gallon of milk or fill a prescription or visit the dentist.  He'd tell them I was "gone again and hadn't taken the kids", implying that he didn't even know where I was going.  My family would call me every time my ass stepped out of the house, grilling me on what I was doing.  I thought it was strange, but I had no reason to suspect it was anything other than coincidental conversation. I didn't find out until years later - after he finally left - what he'd been doing. And I had no idea that my family believed all these things.  It came out at a family party when they asked me if I was still out 5 days a week.  Huh?? Then it finally got revealed.  I was so.fucking.livid - mostly at my family for ever believing such bullshit.  But yeah.... I would have never in a million years have thought my sweet, dumb, innocent ex was capable of such deceit and manipulation.  The more talking you do, the more you'll find out.

Kel

Last edited by Kel (November 19, 2016 1:31 pm)

Board footera