OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 16, 2019 2:56 pm  #1

A vent and please tell me I did the right thing

It’s been awhile since I posted so really quick...  Found out 1/2018 GIDH had been cheating on me for 6 years with a CL connection.  Fell into the love-bombing phase then stalled out.  I filed for divorce last November and have been back and forth with him regarding moving out and actually moving forward with divorce.  Basically, I would say get out, we can’t do this anymore.  He would cry, beg, plead and say all the right things, promising the best future ever.  I would believe it and fall back in the same cycle.  

But, I finally moved forward with our physical separation – I moved his stuff out of the house last Friday.  Needless to say he freaked out.  He tried all the usual tricks but I stayed strong.  I have no idea how because I feel anything but strong. 

I’m miserable.  I miss him SO much.  I miss everything I thought I had and everything I thought we would have and would be.  My emotions are waging WWIII inside and I’m just generally a wreck.  Because things finally got real, his sadness seems real.  We have 3 kids together so we’re seeing each other a lot.  This morning he picked up for school and he broke down telling me how much he missed me.  He probably really does miss me but is it real?

My therapist suggested maybe I wasn’t ready yet.  The same therapist who’s been seriously encouraging me to jump.  Ready???  I know this is discussed a lot but is anyone really ever ready to give up their hopes and dreams?  Is there ever a good time to blow up a marriage?  I mean more than it’s already been blown up with lying and cheating….

This is SO HARD.  I hate what he did to me but I still love him.  A lot.  I wish I didn't.  I wish I hated him.  Why oh why do we have to be the bad person and end the marriage when we did nothing wrong???????  Why are they GID?????  Infidelity hurts.  Divorce hurts.  But I feel like it would make it so much easier if he would just admit that he’s gay.  Because he guarantees he would never cheat on me again.  He’s not gay, just bi, just like always!  And I’m enough!  (Now, again?)  He loves me!  He wants me!  I’m his world!  Etc. etc. etc.!  Blah blah blah!  Of course it sounds great and I want it to be true so it’s hard to reject what he’s saying.  Really, really hard. 

Sorry, I don’t really know what I’m looking for.  I guess just to vent and get it out there to those that really understand. 

April 16, 2019 5:19 pm  #2

Re: A vent and please tell me I did the right thing

Deleted.

Last edited by Lynne (October 3, 2020 5:52 pm)

April 16, 2019 8:11 pm  #3

Hi, I think you can help yourself by remembering what happens if you let him stay.  How long does the love-bombing last?  not long - a matter of weeks.  Then it goes downhill and then you are suffering and worst of all you are giving yourself a hard time for being stuck with him.

There's not much point in hating him - do you hate crocodiles?  no, you just don't want to be caught by one.

All I can say is good for you.  Well done for putting him out of the house.  Well done for getting him on the back foot.  You are doing great.  Once the financial settlement is completed everything changes.  You will be surprised.  He just won't be feeling such a need to manipulate you.  Stick up for yourself now.  These are really hard yards you are facing at the moment.  He is being a real bitch.  

April 16, 2019 9:15 pm  #4

It's important to remember that what you miss is the person you thought you had.  The discard and loss still hurts, however.
 Remember that what he's saying is more than its face value; it is at least as much about maintaining his own illusion to himself that he's straight.  He doesn't want to face that and your telling him it's over has put him into a quandary, one he may resolve by staying in the closet--and maybe badmouthing you or finding himself a beard.  Anything to keep from having to acknowledge the truth.  He may also become angry when you don't respond to his hurt by doing what he wants you to do.
   Your therapist does not sound like much help.  You can be hurting and still be doing the right thing.  In fact, no matter how much time you give yourself it's never going to not hurt.  It just does.
  But those of us who have gone through it can tell you that it does get better on the other side.  Keep reminding yourself that he is the one who blew up the marriage with his lying and cheating.  What you are doing is a consequence of that, and the consequences for it.  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (April 16, 2019 9:17 pm)

April 18, 2019 1:30 am  #5

You did the right thing.

Ask yourself ..if he lied about such an important thing as same sex attraction..what are any of his promises worth now. 

How long before he goes to meet a friend for a beer and you have anxiety wondering are they really having a drink or sex.

His shock and hurt are conseqeunces...not sure what these spouses were expecting..

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

April 18, 2019 6:09 pm  #6

Another vote for yes you did the right thing. Don't second guess yourself. You are strong brave and I applaud you.

April 18, 2019 7:08 pm  #7

You did the right thing, but as your name says - this is an open wound, you are bleeding and in pain which makes it harder to reason.  I have to keep reminding myself that my GIDX's rhetoric about his behaviour was intended to make me doubt myself all the time - gaslighting, so I got used to doubting myself and the validity of my own needs.  So, it seems, have you.  Sex is important.  Your needs are important.  If being honest and fidelity are important to you then staying in a sexless marriage with a known cheater and gay-in-denial man is definitely NOT the right thing for you!  

It takes real guts to file for divorce and haul his stuff out!  Wow, I too applaud you OW!  Stay strong.  The feelings are grief and mourning for the man and the relationship you thought you had.  We feel so BAD for calling them out and yet...how bad does he feel about his affair of 6 years and the risks he has posed to you????  Keep venting here...it does help to write it out...good luck!!  

April 19, 2019 1:28 pm  #8

Your name says it all -- this truly is an open wound.  It's all so hard.  We've all been there, many of us are still working through all the things you're trying to work through.

What I found difficult was trying to live in a truth-based universe with a man who was lying to himself.  It's so hard to force-feed someone reality when they're programmed not to accept it.

It's so hard to wake up to the realization that you're the only adult in the room.  Even after all this time -- I made the first of a string of discoveries in December 2017, confronted my husband in April 2018, filed for divorce in August 2018, and here we are in April 2019 and I still find myself going off the rails when he does something predictably clueless.

My husband initially reacted with remorse and love-bombing, just as you describe.  Even though he was acknowledging this was all his fault, though, I think he was such a strict Catholic and moralist that he wouldn't have done what he did if he hadn't at some level indulged the thought that in some tiny little way this was maybe my fault too.  He was just so moralistic all the time, I really got suspicious that at some level he was trying to push off just a tiny little bit of blame on me.  I started to remember all the times he'd been irritable with me, or snapped at me, or blurted out something I thought was unfair to me, over the course of the marriage.

So I think that while this tiny little seed got rooted in his sexual secrets, it spread out and started to affect other areas of our marriage, like how he allocated our money and financial priorities.  I can see how his resentment of our daughter (which always seemed so irrational to me) may have stemmed from his belief that somehow we were the reason he couldn't just live his hedonistic lifestyle full-time; he had to hide it and feel all guilty about it.

April 19, 2019 3:45 pm  #9

Thank you everyone for your responses and support.  I'm so sad that you're all here as well but it feels so good to not be alone in this.  Sometimes I feel like I’m the only person in the world dealing with such a “situation”.  Like why can’t I/he/we just be normal? 

Lily, thank you for the laugh – “do you hate crocodiles? No, you just don’t want to be caught by one.”

And I agree OOHC, no matter how much time I give myself, it’s never going to not hurt.  That does help me feel better because I keep second guessing myself; if I had waited longer or processed more, or whatever, it wouldn’t feel as badly as it does right now.  But that’s just not true.  It hurts.

Walk – I can really relate to the blame shift.  GIDH is currently taking “full blame” for everything but I believe deep down inside, a small part of him blames me – for both our sexless marriage and for his cheating.  And while he’s never mentioned it, I wouldn’t doubt he also feels like being married to me has stifled his life and certainly caused him a lot of guilt over the years. 

April 22, 2019 7:31 am  #10

It is hard to stop loving them.  We loved the person we thought they were, and we still care for their welfare ironically.  Unloving them, then becomes an 'act of tough love'.  A theme I read here consistenty, is, the relationship is not healthy, and it will never be healthy, because they do not have the capacity to reciprocate the love we give.  They cannot love us back  the way we need to be loved. It is a reality and its no one's fault that they are that way.  Once this reality is accepted, its not as difficult to let them go and take life in a new direction. 

Last edited by a_dads_straight_journey (April 22, 2019 7:46 am)

Board footera