OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 8, 2019 1:18 pm  #1

It's not the the GID thing

I have come to realize that I am very unhappy. I've tried for months to put it all out of my mind, but the unhappiness keeps creeping back in.
Since finding out my husband is bi two years ago (and I'm really thinking he is full gay), I have now realized it's always about HIM! He always gets what he wants but not me. It's what he wants to do on the weekends, I never get help around the house, I even have to do the pressure washing. He never wants to go on vacation where I want to go. It's always about our boat and where to take it. I started a side biz as a travel agent...he told me it's annoying when I talk about cruises with friends (who have booked a lot of $$$ with me) because it's something he hates and refuses to do. 
Our sex life sucks, again, it's all about him. I am at the point where I just don't want it anymore...EVER! 
I don't want to be married anymore not because of the GID thing, its because I am no longer ME! 
I'm sorry, I don't mean to vent and I'm sure this doesn't make much sense. 

“And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain, when you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.” ~ Haruki Murakami ~

February 8, 2019 3:16 pm  #2

Re: It's not the the GID thing

Venting is good! Where else can you vent about this stuff?  And:  This makes total sense to me! 

In fact, I was just saying to my husband this morning something similar to what you have said. (My husband is currently saying he is bi, but it is pretty unclear, and I am very much in shock still.)

You and I may have different life details, and we and our spouses and marriages will have different personalities.  But the dynamics you describe:  yes yes yes!!!

I said to husband this morning, something like, “I feel like I have lost myself.  Like my life has been taken over.”  And it totally has. 

I also said, “I want you to really understand that for me, the sexuality is nothing, and yet it is everything.”  I mean, I do not judge him for his sexuality and I am not troubled by the idea of him being bisexual as a marriage partner, although I do need monogamy, and I need to feel like I am enough for him.  Our marriage has been troubled though, and what bothers me is how he treated me so badly, so much contempt and criticism and withdrawal and blaming, and I think that, for him, this came from him not being honest because of how much he was guarding his secret.  He felt so much agitation, so much resentment, toward me, and took it out on me.  Discovering the hidden sexuality was then just complete and utter rejection, and a sense of being betrayed and deceived, discarded, treated with contempt.  It is the deceit and betrayal and trust-shattering and contempt and criticisms—those are the things that are hard for me.  And how it is all about his inner turmoil.  His inner turmoil has now taken over my ability to even function. So the sexuality is not the pain—but to me it seems to the be the source of how he has treated me.

February 8, 2019 4:45 pm  #3

Roo wrote:

............its because I am no longer ME! 
I'm sorry, I don't mean to vent and I'm sure this doesn't make much sense. 

You're correct. Since this whole shit-storm began....NONE of us are the same people. Incrementally Roo you'll regain your 'self'. Instead of accepting quietly his selfishness....you'll reach the glorious point when you can say "no, I don't feel like doing that. In fact....you do that. I'm going to do this" 
2 years ago I was apprehensive to leave my partner (it made me physically anxious) for a night....what's he doing/who's he with. Blah! 
Nowadays he's not the person I take into consideration. It's me   
Roo....put a jacket on against the weather, tie your hair back so it doesn't blow in your eyes....lower your head and keep walking through the storm

We've got your back

KIA KAHA                       

February 9, 2019 11:07 am  #4

Roo,
 What you describe is a pattern that seems to characterize a lot of the marriages/relationships of those who come here (including my own).  I am talking about what you have recently begun to see as the pattern in your relationship, the one-sided quality of it.  As we begin to see how we have lived in a pattern of acquiescing to our spouses, or not pushing back, or staying silent in order not to rock the boat, or placating, or otherwise avoiding setting off our spouses, we also begin to see how this has distorted our own sense of ourselves.  Their suppression of themselves and their sexuality produces an answering quashing of ourselves on our part (in addition to the projection of their unhappiness onto us in the form of criticism and contempt that OnMyOwnTwoFeet describes).  
   You are, I would say, making A LOT of sense.

February 10, 2019 3:10 pm  #5

Roo, I wish you were here, I'd go on a cruise with you in a heartbeat!  My husband was the same way about commandeering our time, energy, and resources.

February 11, 2019 10:37 pm  #6

Roo,

Yeah  my GX  controlled all of our time and money... the mood of the house was set by her..   Looking back now I can see how dysfunctional it was.   I sure the hell lost myself  and I'm shocked how selfish she was.

The thing is... I bet  even if you did everything he wanted and nothing you wanted  he would still not be happy.       I think what your feeling is the enormous weight of the narcissism  he created, subtlety over the years...  you suddenly realize how much you've lost yourself in them.        

I truly believe when they've depleted us and can get nothing else out of us...sex, money, time... (In my case when they've completely emasculated us) ...  when we feel lost ourselves...  that seems to be when they have their affair and start looking elsewhere.

Your feelings are normal and just.      Vent away.   

Last edited by Rob (February 12, 2019 1:25 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

February 12, 2019 12:32 am  #7

There is a song called Paralyzed and one day it was on while I was in the car alone. I listened to the lyrics and that's when I decided I was done with my marriage because it was pretty much everything I'd been feeling for a while.

When did I become so numb?
When did I lose myself?
All the words that leave my tongue
Feel like they came from someone elseI'm paralyzed
Where are my feelings?
I no longer feel things
I know I should
I'm paralyzed
Where is the real me?
I’m lost and it kills me inside
I'm paralyzed

I listen to it now and it brings me joy to know that I am working my way back to me. I am no longer numb or paralyzed, thank God.

Vent away...your feelings are normal. *hugs*

Last edited by jkc1214 (February 12, 2019 12:33 am)

February 12, 2019 1:01 pm  #8

Rob wrote:

I bet  even if you did everything he wanted and nothing you wanted  he would still not be happy. 

Agreed, dammed if you do and dammed if you don't because they are avoiding facing the real issue.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

February 14, 2019 10:41 am  #9

Roo,

I relate with you so much. At some point it’s not about TGT anymore. It’s about loosing yourself trying to not rock the boat. But if you think about it, it is about TGT, otherwise if they weren’t in an incompatible relationship they wouldn’t act like this. At some point we will decide that loving ourselves is more important. I look at myself in the mirror everyday and feel that the woman i see is so disappointed at me for neglecting her.

Last edited by Mimi (February 14, 2019 10:42 am)

February 14, 2019 3:55 pm  #10

I often look at other couples and wonder what it would be like to be in a "normal" marriage. I know everyone's marriage is not perfect, but I just don't feel like I have a husband or real marriage, if that makes sense. Like I've said in my original post, it's always about what HE wants to do. The minute I suggest something "I" want to do, he gets an attitude. This is why I have 25 year old furniture and a car with 200k miles on it! LOL! Although I am FAR from a materialistic person, it sure would be nice to have some new stuff for a change! 
Mimi...yes, that is how I feel. I no longer like myself for letting the situation get away from me for so long. 

“And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain, when you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.” ~ Haruki Murakami ~

Board footera