OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 8, 2018 12:36 pm  #21

Re: Just Started

Jaybird

We have not told anyone yet either. We are waiting until after the holidays. I suspect that is when it will become more real if that makes sense. Telling other people gives it weight or finality if you will. This is the only place I have for support at the moment and everyone here has been very supportive with great insight. We are in a similar place and I am here to help as much as be helped.

December 8, 2018 3:10 pm  #22

Zoso wrote:

We have not told anyone yet either. We are waiting until after the holidays. I suspect that is when it will become more real if that makes sense. Telling other people gives it weight or finality if you will. This is the only place I have for support at the moment

I’m sorry you don’t have anyone outside this forum for support.  This forum is important to me in that there are people who are going (and have gone) through the same experiences. Of course each journey is different, with some others worse off and some better, but the fundamental themes of being a straight spouse are helpful to hear and talk about.

We have notified quite a few people at this point, with varying degrees of difficulty.

I found that talking to people around me had two functions. The first was to alleviate the pain of feeling alone with it. This only takes one or two people, and made a profound difference in how I felt and thought about the situation. It sounds like you might be there now.  The other function is more along the lines of coming out to those around us so that they can all start processing it. This sounds more like the step that you refer to that gives it the weight and finality. That can come later or be a slower process. 

I recommend you think about one or two people that you can confide in to help relieve the pressure. You can coordinate this with your wife so she’s aware and good with it, if things are amicable enough for that.  My wife and I have been able to support each other through this process, and let each other know as we talk to people.

Regardless, talking to others is an important step in processing your own individual feelings, and I would encourage you to consider it sooner than later.

J

December 8, 2018 7:40 pm  #23

Hi Jaybird (and Zoso too, welcome)

Jaybird, I want to say something I know you don't want to hear.  Please be more cautious of your wife.

The reason I say it because I think you look like a prime candidate for losing your shirt in the divorce.  You only get one shot at this.  Once it's done it's done.

It is extremely unlikely your wife did not know she was attracted to women since puberty if not earlier and yet you are saying you believe her over this even tho it is clear she hasn't been entirely honest or upfront with you anyway.

she has known for a long time and she knows what she wants and you know what you want which is to do what she wants.  This is fine in a straight marriage - 'happy wife happy life' is a good saying but it does not work with a lesbian wife.  Particularly one that's divorcing you.

While you continue to do what she wants she will continue to be nice but see what happens when you want something she doesn't.  

My suggestion is to make your own enquiries as to what the financial and custody aspects should look like.  Maybe you could suggest you will handle the paperwork involved in the divorce proceedings and if you can swing it then go for it straightaway and if you do the negotiations between you to reach the agreements via email it gives you a way to track it and not get derailed by the face to face emotion of it all.

wishing you all the best, Lily

December 9, 2018 2:47 am  #24

lily wrote:

It is extremely unlikely your wife did not know she was attracted to women since puberty if not earlier and yet you are saying you believe her over this even tho it is clear she hasn't been entirely honest or upfront with you anyway.

she has known for a long time and she knows what she wants and you know what you want which is to do what she wants.

While you continue to do what she wants she will continue to be nice but see what happens

She has admitted to being attracted to women most of her life, but she’s always considered it somewhat typical of women in today’s society.  The kind of attraction that fashion magazines feed on.

I appreciate the perspective and warnings.  I realize that my attitude seems overly optimistic or somewhat fantasized, but I’m not sure what things I said that made you think that I’m doing what she wants.  I’m resolved to the idea that she is gay, and that we can’t be together. Although increadibly painful, splitting up is the right choice.  For me the logic of the situation is clear, but the emotional aspect is the tricky one and demands the most attention while we go through this process.

I realize that people’s perspectives change, as you have pointed out, but her discussions around the division of assets associated with divorce generally favor me.  The house being the biggest piece, which she has no intention at this time to have me buy her out or force the sale.

I do appreciate your warning.  Don’t get me wrong.

J

December 9, 2018 6:23 am  #25

yes okay, so I went and read your first post again and you do say it came out of the blue - what you're saying is she is telling you now that she always knew she was attracted to women.  She's minimising her responsibility with her excuses - why isn't she just saying I'm sorry I'm so sorry, what can I do to ease the pain?

one of the hardest things about this all is taking on board the emotional turmoil - riding the storm, facing it up bit by bit and bringing yourself to peace with it, and it takes time - it will happen naturally but it takes time.  I like the way you are approaching it all, it is intelligent and brave.

I am glad to hear that conversations about the break up of assets are going well to date.  So far so good.  You still need to be ready to ensure you get a fair settlement - it's not just facts and figures it's the emotional energy to insist on it even if it turns out she is wanting more.

hope this helps, Lily

Last edited by lily (December 9, 2018 6:49 am)

December 9, 2018 10:51 am  #26

Thank you Lily.

December 11, 2018 7:50 pm  #27

I am new here as well Jaybird. I am so sorry that you are going through this. And I understand your sadness because you do care about your wife. I almost feel foolish, but I do still care about my husband. I guess I would just like you to know that you are not alone in that. This seems like a good place to "talk" out all these conflicting feelings. Stay strong and take good care of yourself.

Board footera